5.0 out of 5 stars The Boss should also read this book.
Published on July 29, 2009 by Richard A. Levine

2.0 out of 5 stars Some Good Advice But Same Advice Chapter by Chapter
I bought this book because I really loved the concept of the office tyrant being seen anew as a tot, someone that had to be viewed and dealt with like a child. The few bits of suggested ways to deal with this "tot" that I read before buying it seemed really helpful. Once I got it home I discovered that there are only so many different ways the author suggests...
Published on December 20, 2012 by Mars

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Boss should also read this book., July 29, 2009
Richard A. Levine (West Palm Beach, Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tame Your Terrible Office Tyrant: How to Manage Childish Boss Behavior and Thrive in Your Job (Hardcover)
I have been a senior manager at a successful printing company for over 50 years. During that time, I have had as many as 100 employees. Even though this engaging book mostly deals with how the employee should handle their bosses, it is also a valuable lesson for managers who want to know how they are irritating their employees. There is also a management section on how to prevent the proliferation of "junior TOTs" among your staff, which gave me ideas, too.

I must admit that when I've been under pressure over the years to meet deadlines, there have been times when I behaved a bit like a tyrant. I have sometimes felt that my staff needed to be scolded like kids, before they did their job correctly. I believed that I had that right, because I paid them. From my point of view, I felt that a boss has every right do so because he (or she) is just that, "the boss." When I finally realized that they were laughing behind my back, I decided to seek advice on "Bossism."

After seeing Ms. Taylor's interview on TV, I decided to buy her book. Boy, what a lesson I learned! I wish I had read it sooner. It made me start to look at my employees from their perspective of me. I've begun to change my behavior and have started appreciating the employee's perspective of working for a bossy boss.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great advice for dealing with your boss!, July 21, 2009
If you've ever wondered how to improve your job situation, one of the first steps is to improve your relationship with your boss, and career expert Lynn Taylor has some amazing insights along with some great humor in her book, Tame Your Terrible Office Tyrant. First of all, check out the book's cover. You'll notice that Lynn's term "Terrible Office Tyrant" breaks down to TOT. Lynn believes that many bosses possess the same traits as tots and toddlers. Some are hard to handle (whining, bullying, territorialism) and others are less abrasive but still challenging (fickleness, forgetfulness, short attention spans.) Throughout the book, Lynn provides helpful, friendly advice on dealing with the Top 20 types of boss behaviors, backed with her years of experience in the careers field. The end result? You'll learn how to cope with difficult bosses, and position yourself to have a stronger, more positive rapport with your boss. That can create much needed job security, as well as position you towards future success in your career. A must read!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have Book For Every Employee, August 8, 2009
This book covers so many types of bosses that I have had. But I never knew how to deal with them. So now I do. The author had fun with the subject. I even laughed out loud. I would recommend this book to people who are just starting out in the work force; to those who have to deal everyday with terrible bosses; and to bosses themselves because the information is very helpful. Maybe childish bosses will recognize themselves and change. That would be great! I could even add a few of my own terrible-tyrant boss types. Hope she does a sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read world advice!, August 11, 2009
Not only will you learn how to manage your day-to-day office sanity, but this knowledge can be applied to everyone in your life. You'll be surprised how Lynn Taylor's experiences relate to your world. Soak it in and enjoy Tame Your Terrible Office Tyrant!

4.0 out of 5 stars I work for several TOTs - definitely worth buying, August 1, 2009
I guess it's now official that bad bosses act like they're in their terrible twos, since there's a book about it. I have several bosses who range from subtle tantrum throwers to demanding, oblivious or moody TOTs. When I first read about this, I was so glad that someone finally noticed. I was even happier to see the tips and stories, which you can easily use. The book helps you see how using empathy but also setting boundaries like a parent works wonders. My bosses have been more human towards me recently as a result. I am using some of the author's advice with co-workers who "act" like they're my boss, and it's interesting to see them thrown off guard. I was hoping there might also be a little section on TOT co-workers, but when I read sections over with that slant, many of the rules still apply.
I'm now a little more sensitive to my own actions too. When my assistant seemed frustrated recently, I spent the time to understand what was really bothering her, instead of avoiding it, which I typically did before. I like the idea that TOTs are not bad bosses or people all the time, they're just kids that need training or "taming," and that we all can be TOTs if we don't watch ourselves. (Maybe someone's using this book on me...good for them!) This is definitely worth buying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought for myself and gave as a gift, November 16, 2010
My daughter ended up with this book that I planned to read for myself. Instead, I retired! Having worked in management and as an HR professional for years, I know that there is always one in every office---or more! She has enjoyed the book and I've enjoyed not dealing with the office tyrant that I worked for for all too many years.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bosses Will Be Thrilled, October 12, 2009
Lynn Taylor's observations about most bosses in corporate America are astute; solving the mysteries of dealing with their childish behavior could be quite tricky, however. With so many pompous CEOs with their staffs of micro-managing drones running around (who are equally as pompous), trying to deal with them in the clever way Taylor suggests is easier said than done. Proceed with caution.

Clearly, her strategy is useless, the further up the corporate ladder you try to tame; awkward manipulation of Taylor's methods could lead to an early retirement. Its application is best suited for the conventional small to mid-sized offices, where face to face interaction is going on. Even then, the devious boss who's already read this book may think they're tyring to be worked over and react in a more negative fashion than before the attempted "attitude adjustment".

Regardless, there are enough relevent observations to make this a book to recommend to any beleagured employee trying to come to grips with a boss who acts like a three year old. Hang in there. You'll probably last longer than the boss, anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, July 16, 2009
OMG, I love this book! So much insight and so many great tips.
It has for sure already improved my life! It's funny and practical at the same time.
Thanks Lynn!

5.0 out of 5 stars a good practical guide, IMHO, August 27, 2009
O. K. (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
My wife heard the author on Martha Stewart's radio show and bought the book for herself to help her with her boss and co-workers. Then she told me to read it when I complained about my current boss (demanding + tantrum throwing, just like in the book). I did, I laughed and felt much better, but also better understood what to do about my situation. Ms. Taylor's book makes you aware of what is really going on with your boss. When he behaves like a kid, you're tempted to fight back, but the book makes you realize you can't stoop to that level. You have to be aware that it's his "inner child" acting up. I tried the TOT recipes, and they work. Awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Very Informative and Easy To Read, February 11, 2013
I've read several boss books, but this is the most straightforward, helpful and enjoyable one to date, on how to handle difficult managers (and even co-workers). What I love about this book is that in one day if you're bummed out about your boss throwing a tantrum, being bull-headed or too fickle, you just go to that chapter and cut to the chase on the what, why and how to deal with it. Too many other books drag on with long stories that no one has time to read. The in-depth, useful advice and brief anecdotes are very applicable to the many childlike or "TOT" behaviors I deal with daily, not only with bosses, but co-workers and clients, too. I laughed out loud a lot, which makes it a quick read. I also think that human resource departments and top management should insist that this book become mandatory reading for middle managers. It would help them see their weaknesses so that they could motivate us better. We'd all work a lot harder if they picked up a few pointers on how to avoid falling into the terrible two trap. This is a MUST-read for anyone who is dealing with tough authority figures in or out of their jobs, wants to feel more in control... and get ahead in life.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›