Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Outdoor Deals on Tikes

on September 23, 2009
My very first workout tape was Buns of Steel 4 with Tamilee Webb. I didn't have a step, so I would use a dresser drawer to work out on. At least I have evolved from there, partly because Tamilee Webb's abs and buns workouts have been some of my favorites.
I like to do cardio at home and strength training at the gym. On most cardio workouts, there's not enough ab work, so I always reach for a Tamilee workout for an add-on. Plus, her abs look good to me and like they are attainable if I just keep pushing play and doing the work along with her.
This Abs, Abs, Abs DVD is great because it puts all of those add-ons on one DVD so I don't have to switch DVD's if I want to do two routines. Some of these routines I only had on VHS, so I appreciate having them on one DVD as it makes working out more efficient for me.
Maybe it was because Tamilee was my first home workout instructor, but I have always liked her friendly "chatting" at me. She seems to have a great sense of humor about working out and being a home video instructor. Whenever she reminds the viewer about form, it's usually around the time my shoulders start straining towards my ears or my chin is resting on my chest.
Reagrding music, it always has been background noise during Tamilee's workouts to me. It's usually calming with a mid tempo, but there is a piece of music in the I Want Those Abs section that has always startled me as it sounds like a cat screeching. This happens during the beginning of the second set. It makes me want the work to end there.
The 10-minute abs from the Tighter Assets series is on here too, and that is done on the knees and on your side, really working the obliques. This is my favorite section.
There are pilates-inspired routines that are also good for the entire core along with traditional ab crunches. The chair section is not one I ever do, for whatever reason, I can never feel a burn or get muscle soreness in my core the next day when I have done that section.
All in all, there's really nothing to not like about this DVD if you like Tamilee as an instructor. This is a good add-on DVD with lots of routines to choose from that work your abs in every way possible.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 4, 2010
7 workouts that will keep your abs super tight! I can add one everyday if I have time after a cardio workout or just do 2 or 3 of them for a killer ab work out. Not a very expensive investment for abs that look great!
on December 19, 2010
My title could apply to ALL exercise DVD's, not just Tamilee's "Best of Abs", but for me anyway exercise DVD's "audition" over the course of months or longer before I decide they're review-worthy. While you should never confine yourself to just one workout or activity for optimal fitness, I think this collection strikes an EXCELLENT mix of variety and challenge to help keep you fit in your spare time.

First let me volunteer this: I don't wish to discourage curious readers or New Year's get-in-shape folks from considering enrolling in an exercise class at a local club or other venue. That may be the best way for you to take the plunge, and publicly commiting by signing up for a class might be necessary to get you started. I have to tell you though--in my experience after 20+ years attending & leading various group exercise classes, most of the New Years' folks are gone by March (if not sooner). Let's just admit up front that gaining and maintaining fitness is HARD and it surely doesn't help that modern culture seems to tell us that unless we become preening gym rats, we're inadequate or worse.

The truth is, though (and here's something to ALWAYS try to keep in mind) that fitness is for EVERYONE who has a body, and getting and staying fit certainly does not oblige you to adapt any fashion or "attitude" conceits that you're not comfortable with. My favorite analogy is to think of fitness like brushing your teeth--you do it without considering whether or not you should make the effort. You may be best served by working out privately at home, where you won't feel self conscious of anything you might not be able to do starting out.

Which brings me to Tamilee Webb and "Best of Abs": this is a compilation of seven abdominal workouts, none exceeding 15 minutes, along with a 2 minute stretch sequence. YES the focus is on abs, but abdominals certainly don't work in isolation from the rest of your physique, so ALL the torso gets involved and worked here. I believe this is all material drawm from original VHS productions--Tamilee occasioally closes sements by exhorting viewers to "rewind and play me again"--so the picture and sound, while adequate, sure doesn't have the snap and clarity of a digital image/sound.

Between the seven workouts there is PLENTY of variety, with only a set of dumbells used in one section (optional). As suggested earlier, you could "mix up" the various routines daily for months before things started to become predictable. I must say, I don't think they'll EVER become easy; once you're able to work your way through some of the more challenging moves and sequences you become more aware of your form and how it could be improved. Straighten the leg more, squeeze out higher elevation, try for steadier balance, monitor breathing more carefully--that sort of thing.

Now my "rule number one" for exercise video: I am NOT allowed to decide a DVD or instructor "sucks" because the workout annoyed me the first 3 or 4 times I attempted it. If I indulge my frustrations that easily, EVERYTHING will "suck" and I'll never get off the sofa. Recognize that it will take time to get on the instructors' wavelength and properly learn the exercises (equally true if you sign up for a group class somewhere). Of course as you blunder uphill to that harmonious state, you're gaining the benefit of actually doing the exercise, even though you're less than thrilled by the effort required. We all have to accept that--again--fitness isn't easy. BUT who honestly doesn't want it?

I had no exposure to instructor Tamilee Webb before I bought this DVD, though I understand she was in the original "Buns of Steel/Abs of Steel" workouts from back in the '90's. She is entirely credible as an instructor; she's obviously super-fit and comfortable with her demonstrations and cueing. To her credit she does sprinkle in (more than once) the important caveat that you're not necessarily going to wind up with "six pack abs" from doing this workout (but allow me to point out that your chances are even less if you do nothing). And, it can't be overlooked that Tamilee's gorgeous, which we all notice whether we admit it or not. I will assert that any person who attempts to represent themselves as an authority on fitness is going to have to meet an elevated standard of physical beauty BEFORE anyone will take them seriously or accept their coaching. Tamilee scores high on aesthetics as well as professional competency, and manages both without making you feel condescended to (AGAIN with generous allowance for my "rule number one" above).

Here's what I don't like: the cardboard packaging--they're charging full price for the DVD, why can't we get a standard DVD case instead of this minimally functional, skinny thing that can easily get lost among our other DVD's? Also, what's up with the occasional "helpers" on these exercise DVD's, demonstrating easier/harder modifications of exercises? I understand why they're in the camera background, but do they really have to grin like "surrendered brides" as they demonstrate their moves? Certainly this is a complaint I can make of MANY fitness videos, but to me it just feels slightly insulting to see these mute gym bunnies grinning mockingly at me as I struggle to keep up. (Again see my rule #1--the resentment eases as familiarity increases.)

If you've read this far, you're interested in fitness generally or specifically in this DVD. Despite my quibbles I have wrung months of use and gallons of sweat out of this DVD, and I have only a few other exercise videos that have been so heavily used. I'd NEVER say "if you buy only one exercise video"--You HAVE to be willing to try new things--but "Tamilee's Best of Abs" could be a VERY important starting point and cornerstone for either exercise newbies or for "maintenance" folks (like me) who want something new & good.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 17, 2013
The DVD is a great workout for someone who hasnt been taking much care of her body in a while. The abs exercises were extremely challening for me, but after a few weeks I am able to get thru all her work outs a little easier. She goes slow enough for a beginner to understand, reminds us of the little things we should be doing, and encourages us when we want to just lay there and watch! I have noticed a difference in my overall state of mind and body since I've been doing this, and I still love Tamilee from back in the 90's, and now. She has a sweet disposition and encourages us as we go along. I love this DVD and am really happy she made it. I'm 52 and ready to take control of my body again, and she is the perfect person to help me with this.
on December 6, 2010
I've been a BIG fan of Tamilee for longer than I would like to admit. This DVD is GREAT. It offers many of her classic exercises and new ones too! Broken up into several 10 - 15 minute workouts. Perfect if you want to work your ABS everyday!
on November 19, 2010
I'm not a fitness fanatic but I do like to stay in shape. I have tried a great many fitness tapes with a lot of different instructors over the years, but I always end up donating them to Goodwill and coming back to Tamilee Webb. The reasons are plain. Not only will she tone your body in ways you'd never hoped ( she has helped me keep off forty pounds I lost ) but she does it while being clear, detailed , friendly, and totally unpretentious. All the workouts on this DVD are excellent and a couple definitely forced me to push past what I thought were my limits. I use this and two other " Best of " Tamilee DVDs on a rotational basis, 7 days a week for just 20-25 minutes. I never get bored and my body has never looked or felt better. Kudos on the ecofriendly packaging as well. Basically, you could spend a lot of time and money schlepping back and forth to an overpriced gym or you can work out in the privacy of your own home using this DVD and basic hand weights, and get better results at a fraction of the cost. I started with the original Buns of Steel and I'm still happily doing her workouts some twenty plus years later. It's pretty obvious Tamilee Webb is one of the very best fitness instructors alive today. Worth every dime !
on July 3, 2013
I loved her old Abs of Steel on VHS, so I had to get this. I like this, but it's not the original Abs of Steel. I didn't realize they actually have the original Abs of Steel on DVD, but it's in a package labeled as "Buns of Steel, The Classics." Volume 1 has Abs of Steel 1 plus Buns of Steel 3 or 4 (can't remember), and Arms & Abs of Steel.
Volume 2 contains Abs of Steel 2, Buns of Steel 5, and Legs of Steel. I'm definitely getting them.
But back to this "Best of Tamilee Webb Abs" DVD.
There are about seven different ab workouts on here or so and they're all a little different so it gives a nice variety. Plus you can do just one or do a couple if you're feeling your oats.
Tamilee has a sweet, mellow voice that is soothing and encouraging without being condescending or annoying. Worthwhile purchase.
Only complaint, and it's a mild one, is that the DVD case it comes in is almost paper thin and made of cardboard. I had to tear the edges a bit just to get the disc out. That aside, the DVD and workouts were great. The disc slides in and out nicely now that I widened the opening.
on September 10, 2010
I used the Tamilee Webb Abs of Steel for years but only had VHS. I could not find it in DVD. I was excited to find this DVD. It has several good ab workouts with some of the older stuff Tamilee used to use, which is great and really works. It also has several different workouts at various lengths of time. You can customize your own workout and time frame. I highly recommend this DVD. I do it several times a week along with other types of workouts.
on August 30, 2012
When I was about 18 years old, I purchased the original Tamilee "Abs of Steel" video. I was thin but had no muscle. In only about 6 weeks time I could see my abdominal muscles developing. I was so happy with the results that I continued to use that tape on and off for the next 25 years until it finally broke. I went online to see if I could find the same one on DVD and found this "Tamilee Webb: The Best of Tamilee Abs, Abs, Abs." I have to admit that this one is even better than the original. I love that it contains several different workouts that range from about 5 minutes to about 15 minutes each. Also, several of them contain exercises that work other muscles as well. Thank you Tamilee - you get 5 stars from me (again)!!!
on October 13, 2010
Tamilee's ab workout is Definately the BEST by far! I've done & ab work....but Tamilee has sooo many to choose from on this video. Even when you "think" you don't have the time to work your abs....think again..she has a 10min. ab workout you'll love and feel the results waist is getting smaller and I must say...this is one video that I'll keep doing over and over and over and over....what a feeling you will get when you do just the 10 min. will then find yourself wanting to try all of them...JUST DO IT! You'll be ever so glad you did. This is one addiction that's great for your health!