4.0 out of 5 stars Great bag, a bit too big for my use
I purchased both the Tamrac 3445 Rally 5 Camera/Netbook/iPad Bag (Brown/Tan) and Tamrac 3447 Rally 7 Camera/Laptop Bag (Brown/Tan) bags as I was looking for a daily use camera bag. I had a few key criteria for what the bag had to hold:

3. 1...
Published on February 23, 2011 by Vivek Gupta

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor design for $100 bag
Published 5 months ago by Nick Diachenko

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great bag, a bit too big for my use, February 23, 2011

3. 1 lens on Camera and at least 1 additional lens
4. Apple iPad in this case: Twelve South BookBook for iPad in Classic Black Style
5. Assorted: memory cards, ipad camera kit, charger (iPad and camera), spare battery, etc.
6. Place to keep a water bottle or 2

The Rally 7 bag has 4 vertical compartments, whereas the Rally 5 has 3 vertical compartments. Both bags have a compartment for keeping a laptop, netbook or tablet. In addition there are 2 mesh pockets on either side, a zippered compartment at the front of the bag (under the flap) and a document pocket in the back of the bag.

The Rally 7 held everything great, I could hold All of the above comfortably. I could fit my Canon EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L lens and 2-3 other lenses, depending on which ones I used. The problem was exactly what I could fit in the bag. Since this is going to be my walking around bag (and what I carry to work every day) I needed to keep myself from over filling the bag. The space for the iPad was plenty large and could easily hold a laptop instead (up to 15"). The pockets on the sides of the bag are pretty nice for keeping small items or water bottles and the front pocket under the flap holds all the assorted accessories I need.

The Rally 5 on the other hand basically has one less slot so I can hold everything that I listed above, but the 100-400L lens. The iPad slot fits my iPad in case just barely or could fit a netbook instead (up to maybe a 11" or 12" screen, my 13" MacBook does not fit). The bag is a little shorter and not quite as wide as the Rally 7, but the depth of the bags is just about the same as can be seen in the photos i have added to the bag pages or in the specs provided by Tamrac. The best part is that the bag now goes with me wherever I go, so I take more photos. I have to plan things more carefully than I did with my backpack, but at the same time this makes the bag lighter.

I ended up returning the Rally 7 and kept the Rally 5. I'm not sure either of these bags could hold a Pro body or a body with a grip, but since that isn't what I have it wasn't a concern. Here are a few things that I would like done differently on the bag:

1. Add the quiet opening velcro flaps like on the Crumpler bags (that I also looked at, but were too heavy).
2. Allow the strap to be changed, although the strap is reasonably comfortable, I can see wanting a different strap or one with more padding.
3. I'm not sure I like the clip in the front for closing the flap, it doesn't have the guides on the side which means I don't quite get it lined up all the time.

Other than those 3 items I really like my new bag! I've been using it for almost 6 weeks now and have found it to be exactly what I needed and when my camera isn't it, I can even use it to hold the 100-400 lens to shoot with at an event so I can get at it and swap lenses. I like the brown color as well (though I did like the black bag with red stripe that was available for other versions of this bag, that didn't have the laptop/iPad slot).

Note: I've posted this review on both the Rally 5 and Rally 7 pages as I hope this helps anyone trying to decide between these bags.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great bag, a bit too big for my use, February 28, 2011

3. 1 lens on Camera and at least 1 additional lens
6. Place to keep a water bottle or 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Needed an electronics carry on, June 17, 2011
I needed a bag that would carry both my Dell XPSL502x laptop and my Sony a33 camera as a carry on bag for a flight. This bag is the perfect size to fit both plus my kindle. It is not a small bag but it is as small as I could go to accommodate all three items. The bag has a padded lap top slot that sits nearest the body. The next pocket is a padded camera slot with room for my lenses. The front slot has room for my wallet, iPhone and Kindle. I can now safely and comfortably carry all of my mobile devices.

5.0 out of 5 stars IT FITS..., July 20, 2011
Having bought several camera cases from Tamrac I was nervous about this one. Some of their cases tend to run on the small size, so I literally went to the camera store with my laptop and Nikon D300s with an 18-200mm Zoom. IT FITS. Beautifully! But the camera store didn't have the brown and tan version in stock, so I went online to Amazon and ordered it here.
Got it and it holds everything I need for a 3 week photo vacation in Italy and Greece, plus my laptop.
One small thing about the padding. Cameras are well protected but the laptop slides in and out with padding in front and behind, but none on the bottom, so when you sit it down it's sitting on the edge of the laptop. There should be some padding there, too.

4.0 out of 5 stars messinger type camera bag a good alternative, January 7, 2011
Peter E. Safir (charlotte, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tamrac 3447 Rally 7 Camera/Laptop Bag (Black) (Camera)
I have a large traditional Tamrac camera bag but with today's airline baggage rules and the risk of camera theft I wanted an over the shoulder bag capable of carrying lots of camera equipment and also double for a carry on bag for the airplane travel. This works well, has some padding and dividers. Only two features I don't like. The shoulder strap is permanently sewn to the bag and it is not a nice as the earlier Tamrac leather style shoulder padded straps. I would like to cut this one off and install loops for the older strap. secondly it has a funky plastic locking clasp that misses more than it hits so necessary to look closely when closing the bag. It has room for a small computer as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice bag with a couple cons..., March 4, 2011
Looks great and holds a lot of stuff. Couple things on my wish list: "skids" on the bottom like most traditional bags have. If the load isn't balanced it will topple over when you set it down. Also wish the top handle was more substantial. When a backpack is overkill, and you don't need to hike a long way with your equipment, this bag will do the job in style.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor design for $100 bag, January 30, 2014
Had mind for 8 months now! The top flap is held with a plastic snap that just does not close 100% of the time. The 17 inch flap do NOT close at the ends. The strap slips due to the weight of the camera and eqpt? The material is good but the design is not. I took it to the shoe maker and had Velcro attached to the flap edges and top to contain my camera eqpt. For $100 you can do so much better. Do not waste your money!

4.0 out of 5 stars Hide your expensive camera in a bag that looks like you have an expensive laptop instead., July 15, 2013
JAMES "The Baldengineer" (AUSTIN, TX, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tamrac 3447 Rally 7 Camera/Laptop Bag (Black) (Camera)
This seems funny to me, but the only negative thing I can say about this bag is that I had to come back to the product page to figure out how to use it. The product page has a tag with a diagram suggesting how to lay out the compartments. My bag didn't ship with this tag and I couldn't figure out how to arrange the internal sections for my gear.

Okay, well, I didn't try very hard to figure it out. It isn't overly complicated. I just didn't want to spend a lot of time on it.

I wanted a bag that could hold my expensive items: laptop, tablet, body, lenses while I throw all my other luggage at the checked counter when I fly. On landing I pull my regular laptop bag out of my baggage, transfer the laptop, and head on to whatever adventure awaits. Exactly what I needed.

Unless you are carrying a ton of gear, this bag may be rather large as a daily use bag. In fact, I'm looking for something smaller when I only want to carry my body and one lens.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some Improvements Needed, October 10, 2011
For a shoulder sling bag, it is pretty good. Like a previous reviewer, the bottom of the bag is missing something to let it stand by itself. I also wish that there was something to hold a tripod or monopod too... instead I just put it on top under the flap. Everything else works great, I like how it is a single row thickness so it doesn't stick out running into people. I used it on a two vacation trips already and it work so much better than the standard Canon bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars nice durable bag, June 27, 2014
This review is from: Tamrac 3447 Rally 7 Camera/Laptop Bag (Black) (Camera)
I have had this for about 9 months now and I just love it. For way too long I carried around a laptop and camera case. It has pockets for extra lenses and many other necessities and protects the laptop and camera well. Very glad to have this

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Tamrac 3447 Rally 7 Camera/Laptop Bag (Black)
$109.95 $89.95