4.0 out of 5 stars A pretty efficient camera bag
Published on July 15, 2011 by Forrest Milder

2.0 out of 5 stars not what i was looking for
Returned this item. I was looking for a carry-on bag for my dslr,iPad,phone etc.
I wanted something that would fit under the seat. This item was bulkier than I expected and was not very stylish. I ended up ordering the enthusiast from crumpler and I can not be happier. It is exactly what I was looking for and worth the extra money.
Published 19 months ago by Daniel D Blaser

4.0 out of 5 stars A pretty efficient camera bag, July 15, 2011
This review is from: Tamrac 5724 Zuma 4 Photo/iPad Camera Bag - Black (Electronics)
I have a Tamrac Messenger 5 bag, and I use it when I travel to carry 5 or 6 lenses, my flash, my SLR, my iPad, and a ton of filters and memory cards, etc., etc. It's a lot of stuff, and it weighs a ton. And it eventually reached the point that I was hurting my shoulder, but I wanted a place to keep everything, and for that, it made sense. But I also realized that 90% of the time, I just wanted my standard 28-70mm lens, and my 70-200mm f2.8 lens, and my flash, and my iPad, and so, I went looking for a smaller bag that would carry what I wanted.

Strangely, it is not at all easy to find a bag that holds a 70-200 lens and a laptop. Some bags claim to hold the 70-200, but it really sticks about 1/4 out of the bag, and such a bag is not that small anyway, and it may not hold a computer (or preferably, an iPad).

The Tamrac Zuma 4 does hold all those things, and also a few others. Physically, it's not all that much smaller than the "official" size of the Messenger 5. It's about 75% of the size, but that's before I stuff the Messenger to be a third bigger than it's official size. I don't even try to do that with the Zuma, which keeps it to a more manageable size.

What I like --

1 -- The bag is efficient and has a tall enough pocket to completely hold my 70-200. I also have a 1.4x converter and a 50mm lens, and the 28-70, and my wallet and Blackberry, and memory cards and batteries. Enough to cover most situations, and keep it all in the bag.

2 -- The top of the bag is small enough that it doesn't get the camera strap stuck under the flap, as was always happening with the Messenger. I would click the snap on the Messenger, only to find that the strap was now stuck inside the bag, and I had to start over again.

3 -- The pockets for smaller items are big enough to hold thicker items. The pocket for the iPad is the right size; it isn't really suitable for a laptop, but I don't care.

4 -- It balances nicely on my shoulder. (By the way, I've added the Domke shoulder strap pad, and it works very nicely.)

What is okay --

1 -- The bag is a tight fit for some things; for example, the strap for my camera has to be packed into the bag with just a bit of care; it doesn't just fall into the bag, like it does with my messenger.

2 -- The orientation of the top and the side pouches seems to be backwards from what I am expecting. I think that most bags have the pouch for small parts on the other side of the bag. This isn't a problem, but it takes a bit of getting used to.

All things considered, I'm very happy with this bag. It is a lot more efficient than my old bag (which is still avaialable when I want to carry more gear.) And I can get my stuff in and out of it plenty fast enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars about right, November 13, 2011
I don't use this with a PAD, but that extra slots makes a good space to store filters and such. The front organiser pockets work well, the strap adjusts to my size with out putting the buckle in the wrong place and the top handles work well even if you only get one in your hand. The top which opens away from your body and the ample opening allow easy access the the camera and contents while wearing it.

The foam dividers are stout enough to support a body and lens and the main slot is deep enough for my 70-300 (6.5") and probably a little more. Also a 70-200 f2.8 can be stored on the side and not interfere with the camera.

This bag is not too big but capable of dealing with a reasonable kit nicely. There is plenty of organized secure storage for small items too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like I need it to work., July 4, 2013
This bag was purchased to be a alternate camera bag for traveling with me when I must travel minimally. I travel with two carry-on bags. This bag needs to slide over the carry-on handle, and it does so perfectly.

I use it to transport a Nikon D800 (without the battery grip attached) and my 14-24mm lens (also not attached), and nothing else by choice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with it, November 30, 2014
Big enough for what I need without being too big. Ideal size and we'll built. Very happy with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Camera & iPad, January 21, 2012
This is a great travel bag for the tourist with a DSLR. You can carry a DSLR, a couple of extra lenses, flash,and an iPad. It's great when you travel - compact and light weight, yet meets your needs.

Obviously you can also use it when visiting or on other occaisions when pictures are being taken and you want to use your iPad.

2.0 out of 5 stars not what i was looking for, May 9, 2013