4.0 out of 5 stars Great computer / camera backpack
Published on July 27, 2007 by P. Vo

3.0 out of 5 stars Not As Well Designed As Other Tamrac Bags
Having greatly enjoyed the fine quality and convenience of Tamrac's Adventure 8 Photo Backpack , I eagerly purchased the Adventure 9 as a more versatile travel bag. I was especially interested in being able to consolidate my camera bag and computer bag into one unit.

Published on June 28, 2007 by D. Bjorgen

3.0 out of 5 stars Not As Well Designed As Other Tamrac Bags, June 28, 2007
D. Bjorgen (Winston Salem, NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tamrac 5549 Adventure 9 Photo/Computer Backpack (Grey/Black) (Electronics)

The Adventure 9 certainly has more room than the Adventure 8, especially in the top compartment. The bag is sturdily designed and comfortable, and Tamrac have introduced some nice extra features. I like the removable inner pocket designed for carrying laptop and electrical cords, although it would be more convenient to have it adhere directly to the bag via Velcro, rather than having the cumbersome Velcro straps that lash to inner loops.

The padded camera compartment is easier to access than the Adventure 8, although one must be careful not to spill lenses and other equipment out on the ground.

The Adventure 9 is not all good, however. The see-through lined compartment has limited uses other than as a "collect all" pocket. Tamrac's special "Memory and Battery Management System" is pretty useless if if you utilize a memory case such as Gepe's CardSafe Watertight Memory Card Case . The memory management compartment just take up otherwise needed space.

Despite its larger size, the Adventure 9 has fewer compartments than the smaller Adventure 8. There are times when I would like extra compartments in order to stash small items and extra goodies, such as small bottles of sunscreen, hand sanitizer, and lens cleaner.

As a word of caution, the padded camera compartment is deeper than it looks in the advertisement photos. If your equipment is of standard size (in other words, not gigantic), you may have to be creative with the padded inserts in order to keep your gear from shifting or flopping around inside the compartment.

When accessing the camera compartment, the top quick release buckle tends to constantly flop down into the compartment. I'm constantly annoyed with it, shoving it out of the way to get to my gear, only to have it flop back into the way.

Both the Adventure 8 and Adventure 9 backpacks have waist straps. However, the Adventure 8 has a rear sleeve in which to stash the waist straps when not in use. For some unknown reason, this sleeve was not included in the Adventure 9 pack, leaving the straps to dangle needlessly below the bag. If it didn't reduce the bag's resale value, I would probably cut the straps off just to be rid of the annoyance.

According to the Tamrac website, the rear computer compartment holds 17" laptops up to 15 1/2" x 11" x 2". Most Apple notebooks run a bit slimmer than that, so access is not a problem. My computer, however, runs those exact dimensions and will not fit due to the compartment's zipper limitations. Tamrac should have designed a wider zipper opening for easier access. I'm fearful of forcing the computer, as it may tear the zipper or the compartment.

In conclusion, I was hoping that upgrading from the Adventure 8 to the Adventure 9 would allow me the same functionality as well as the added bonus of hauling a laptop. In the end, the bags shortcomings left a bad taste in my mouth.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great computer / camera backpack, July 27, 2007
P. Vo (Phoenix, AZ) - See all my reviews
Since I got this backpack several weeks ago, I made many trips, including 2 to Singapore. I brought along my Canon XTi (400D), its kit lens (18-55mm), one 28-135mm lens, one 70-200mm / f2.8 lens, one external flash, and a few other small accessories, one 17-in Dell D820 laptop, its charger and mouse. The total weight is over 24 lbs (11 kg). I find this bag much better than the Tamrac Adventure 7 and the Lowepro CompuDayPack, both of which I outgrew quickly. With the Adventure 9, I can access my camera, lenses and accessories, pretty fast. Yes, I do have to put the bag on the ground to get to the camera; But that's the price I am willing to pay for convenience of carrying so many things in one bag.

When in an airplane, I put this backpack in the overhead bin. It's securely out of the way of legs, feet, service carts, etc. Before leaving home or hotel room in the morning, I will make a decision on what to bring. For example, when I was in Singapore over a weekend, I left my laptop and its accessories in the lock box in the room. My backpack was considerably lighter. I was able to find a way to conveniently secure my monopod on the Adventure 9, went out to enjoy the city and took a good deal of pictures.

This backpack is well made. The quality of its materials and workmanship is very high. Its design makes its usage convenient. The features of this backpack are well thought-out. I feel secure carrying my photographic assets around.

The only issue preventing me from giving it a 5 star is the opening for the laptop. It is barely enough for a 17-in laptop; the zipper interferes with putting in or taking out the laptop, from time to time. It seems that the worst time for this interference to happen is at the airport security line.

Hope my review is of use to you.

Update 16 March 2010

Since my review above, I made many more trips to Asia & Europe, as well as within the US. I also upgraded my camera to a Canon 50D. And my company entrusted me with a slightly bigger laptop.

This Tamrac Adventure 9 I purchased back in 2007 still serves me well. It protected my camera, lenses and accessories through high humidity & high heat of Southeast Asia, high dry heat of the desert Southwest of US, extreme cold winter of the central Europe, and many types of weather in between.

In case you like to see the photos I took on my travels, please go to [...].

Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Backpack for the Digital Photographer, July 23, 2006
This backpack has it all:

- Padded compartment for laptops up to 17"

- Ample room for large DSLRs and 2-4 lenses/flashes

- Space for other items, guidebook, jacket, etc.

- A discrete non-camera bag appearance for security

It is a great looking bag too. I am going to the Caucasus and don't want to leave any equipment at the hotel. This bag allows you to carry all your gear with you. The straps are very comfortable. I like the grey/black combination, doesn't scream "I have expensive camera equipment. Come mug me."

3.0 out of 5 stars Great if you're on the go, April 26, 2006
I bought this to fit my Canon EOS 30D, EF 24-70 f/2.8L (attached to the camera), EF-S 10-22 & the EF 70-200 f/2.8L.

Does it all fit? Yep, but there's not a whole lot of room left over. I have room in the bottom for the 580EX Speedlite but that's about it.

The top on the other hand is a bit smaller than I would have liked. Sure it holds other stuff...and lunch...OR a sweatshirt...but it's pretty cramped. With a bit of mashing I can just fit a light sweatshirt and my Panasonic PV-GS150 up there but it's a tight squeaze to be sure.

It's comfortable to wear but could really be a little larger overall. And I wish there was a way to secure all the straps...sternum, etc. I don't need those all the time and without a few "ties" of some sort they just seem to be floppin' everywhere.

I only gave it 3 stars because while it really is a very nice backpack it really could stand to be a few inches larger all the way around...and be able to secure or remove the extra straps when not in use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile, comfortable, with good protection, January 9, 2007
We recently took this backpack to Mexico, with a laptop, some camera gear, and even put some small portable speakers in the camera dividers. It was heavy but very comfortable to carry. All the gear was well protected but easy to access (handy for airport security!). The versatility of having padded sections AND a laptop pocket (which is accessible without opening the main part of the pack) AND an open area for jacket or snacks makes this the perfect pack for our needs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good for what it was intended to do, February 6, 2007
I bought this bag hoping to have an all in one solution. Let me just say it will do that. You have the side load computer compartment, camera section and a top pouch with plenty of room for cables and such. I fit a Powerbook G4 15" in the compartment (though I think it would be very tight if possible at all to fit a 17). The camera compartment held my Canon 30D, 70-300mm, 50mm prime, 24-105L + hood, 18-55mm, 430 Speedlight flash.

I should say that I returned the item, not so much because it was not good, I found that I did not want this to be my sole camera bag. I wanted something more handy and that I did not have to take off my back to get into it. I have since bought the Tamrac Velocity 8 sling bag and am absolutely in love with it.

A con I found with this bag is it looks like it might be soft or formable. It is definitely not. The bag is very stiff and I found it somewhat uncomfortable. Maybe it would break in over time, I'm not sure. You would be best to try it on at some retail shop before you by it would be my advise. Amazon is definitely cheaper than any store I found so buy it here though.

3.0 out of 5 stars Adequate backpack for larger folks., July 25, 2007
B. Toy (San Mateo, CA USA) - See all my reviews
It's hard to tell from the picture, but this is a fairly large backpack. I'm 5'8" and the pack goes from the bottom of my waist to the top of my neck. Empty, the pack is pretty heavy but it's very, very well structured and will stand up full or empty. Padding in the laptop and camera compartments are very good. I wouldn't worry about tossing this into an overhead compartment on a plane (though I wouldn't be brave enough to check it).

The laptop compartment is big enough to hold my 14.1" Thinkpad and my 15" widescreen Powerbook G4. I have doubts that it would hold a 17" laptop if it's widescreen so if that's what you own, bring it into a camera store, if possible, and try to fit it.

The camera compartment is plentiful. I keep a Canon 70-200mm F2.8 L lengthwise in one compartment. On the other side of the camera, I have a Sigma 28mm F1.8 and a Canon 10-22mm side-by-side. My Rebel XT sits in the middle with a 24-105mm F4 L attached and underneath the camera (separated by an included velcro pad) is my 430EX flash. There's just enough nooks & crannies to stuff tiny accessories in there including a Canon SD550 in a compact case. I managed to keep my lens hoods in there too. The included zip pocket can hold small, thin items like a charger, wireless remote, extra lens caps, etc. The pockets for holding batteries & memory cards are poorly designed. If you open up the flap fully while it's lying flat on its straps, items in the end pockets can slip out. I lost a NiMH AA battery for my flash this way. As a work around, you can pull out the red flag that indicates a full card/drained battery and that will keep things from slipping out, but that defeats the purpose of the flags. My only other complaint is that the velcro strap that keeps the camera in place is way too long, nothing a pair of scissors can't fix though. At first, I didn't like the idea of having to both unzip & unclip, then zip & clip to get anything out. But in real-world use, being able to just clip the buckles while leaving the zipper open is very handy.

The upper compartment is a bit small, but that's expected considering the capacity of the camera compartment underneath it. The pop-off pocket is a gimmick. It's cumbersome to remove and I don't find it to be all that useful based on its size and position in the back of the compartment. To get anything out of it, you'd have to dig through whatever else you might already have in there, or empty it out. A real set of organizer pockets to keep card readers, pens, business cards, etc would be much more useful.

The waist and sternum straps are useful though I wish there was a way to stow the waist strap when the weight of the pack doesn't warrant its use. The shoulder straps will need a LOT of breaking in. They're very stiff and the material is rough against your skin. It's uncomfortable hoisting it on and taking it off and found that I ended up scratching up my arms a lot. Wearing it with a jacket or long sleeved shirt solves it, but that's not always practical in warmer climates.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for flying!, April 13, 2007
I don't use this bag in-the-field really, I prefer to travel lighter. I purchased this bag for flying, and it is a dream for traveling with. I do not trust my camera with ANYONE so I would never send it through with my checked baggage but with all the new restrictions on baggage, I was having problems coming up with a way to have a carry on, my laptop AND camera all with me at all times and be able to travel comfortably. This backpack was the perfect solution!

I carry my Nikon D200 with 18-200 lens attached and in the bottom portion pack in my 80-200mm lens, 18-70mm lens, speedlight, DVD's for backup (in case I need to get the pics off the laptop), lens cleaning tools, filters... and a lot more small stuff. I also get my laptop in the slot and use the top portion for storing books and other misc. carry-on items I want within easy reach (I took out the bag that came in the top). I also manage to smush my normal every day camera bag in the top.

I don't think that this is a really functional bag for in the field use, but it is great for travel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, small complaints, September 9, 2007
E. Smith (Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this prior to a business trip from the U.S. to England carrying

MacBook Pro 15.4"
Nikon D40
Nikkor 18-200 VR lens (attached to the body)
SB-400 flash
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 lens
Some books
Various electronics and cables

The Adventure 9 definitely had room for everything. I found the camera area a bit deep for my not-tall D40. If I were carrying a D2Xs or other such full-height dual-grip body, I would have liked the depth of the camera area. But for my D40, I had to use one of the velcro spacers to keep the body from sliding around.

The bag was well constructed. Very happy with the stitching and materiel.

The clips were so-so. One arrived flared/bent out. I would have preferred typical clips rather than the unusual type that used on the Adventure 9 as I think they'd be more durable.

The bag overall was a little big but not too big. I tried it on at Ritz Camera beforehand so I knew what I was getting into.

I would have preferred if the top carry handle was reinforced with something rigid rather than just being painted with a soft plastic hatch pattern.

The straps were very comfortable.

The color (blue) was great.

While I've complained about its overall size and the depth of the camera area, I must say that it fit EVERYTHING I wanted to cram in it. It just worked. I used the camera area for a lot more than just photo equipment and it ate it all and kept the pieces from banging each other. And if it will also handle a 17" MacBook (mine is 15.4") then my complaint about size is of even less import. I mean, a 17" notebook on your back + photo equipment + more is just great.

I still own it. I'm going to keep it. If I had it to do over, I'd do it again. And it still looks brand new after being dragged around for about 10 days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet bag! Works for the traveling engineer, too., April 21, 2007
I travel back and fourth to the States and China and always need to carry cameras and a laptop with me because a do alot of design and product photos on the road, but I also like to hike. This bag works perfect for me. First of all it is not obvious what you are carrying, a stealth bag if you will. It does well with the abuses of airline travel. The big test for it is traveling around the Chinese mainland. The sheer weight I carry abuses my shoulders normally, but with this backback it is no problem. Right now I am carrying:

Canon Digital Rebel 300D

Canon 430EX Flash

Canon 75-300mm lens

Canon 18-55mm lens

HP NW8440 mobile workstation laptop w/ power supply. Heavy sucker.

An assortment of filters, batteries, lens cleaning stuff, cables, memory card, etc. Standard SLR fare.

500GB external HD w/ power supply

Advil and Pepto Bismol

English-Mandarin book

Daytimer

Passport documents + money

Poncho

Power Bar(s)

GPS (on shoulder strap)

Canon elph s200(on other shoulder strap)

Tripod(on bottom)

Tapemeasure, caliper, micrometer, leatherman(side pocket, not on airplane)

Sunglasses in a hard case

TI-92 Scientific calculator

Water bottle( in other side pocket)

In other words there is lot of weight. About 40 lbs I estimate. The chest strap and thick padding on the shoulder straps is key. On long treks I will use the waist strap, but not often. It puts up with the challenge of being thrown in and out of cabs and beat up at factories. One word of caution though. DO NOT FORGET TO CLOSE THE BACK HATCH! In a jet lag stupor this caused me to fling my 75-300 lens in a parking lot. It survived luckly. It is definitly the best bag I have ever owned.