4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Lens aAt A Reasonable Price
Published on December 1, 2006 by Timothy Kearney

3.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for.
Published on June 19, 2002

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Lens aAt A Reasonable Price, December 1, 2006
Timothy Kearney (Haverhill, MA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Tamron AF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 Aspherical Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras (Model 177DN) (Electronics)
Most camera kits come with a basic zoom lens, and my first Nikon camera came with a 28-80mm f/3.5 lens. It served me well for nearly ten years, but as of late it has not been focusing so well and in some shots I noticed what I thought were out of place hairs. A day later I took some shots of a lighthouse and once again noticed the out of place hair. Since lighthouses don't have hair, I took a closer look at the lens and noticed it was scratched. I needed a replacement les in a hurry for a special event and the only option was this lens from Tamron. I hoped for a Nikon lens that was out of stock, but was told by the dealer that this lens would be comparable since the Nikon lens was not one of the manufacturer's better lenses.

For me, this lens is a "friends and family" lens. I use it for group shots, birthday parties and Christmas photos, and from time to time some scenic shots. I have better lenses for artistic purposes. This lens allows me to capture these moments just as I like. It's also sturdy which is a plus. When I'm capturing a building, lighthouse, or something that does not have too many intricate details I'm happy with the results. Some of the nature shots have not been a sharp as I would like, a f/2.8 would be a better choice for these situations, but they are still acceptable photos.

This is a good all purpose lens for general use that works equally well in a digital and film camera. If landscapes and scenic are your specialty, you may want to consider a f/2.8, but for adequate quality photos, this lens will more than serve the purpose.

While I am giving the lens a four star rating instead of five, it is due to the fact that there are better lenses available and its my guess that most people looking at this review may be considering two or three different lenses, so I don't want to be misleading, but if I were to give stars based on quality and value, I would give it five stars because it's more than worth its price.

3.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for., June 19, 2002
By A Customer
This is the lens that came packaged with my Nikon N80. I've used it for over 1 year and deem it average. The autofocus is slow and noisy. Lens flare is an issue at almost every focal length. And the focus ring rotates which makes using a circular polarizer something of a pain. For [the price]it is passable. However, I recommend that you dig deeper in your pockets and buy something more robust and without the aforementioned niggling problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Lens for the Price, July 22, 2008
This is an excellent lens for the price it is set at. If you are a budget photographer you need to add this lens to your collection. The AF system is a little sketchy in low light situations, but it still works great. Also, the lens has the prefect zoom range to be your default "walk-around" lens. This is just a great piece of glass for the price. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Walkaround lens!, October 9, 2008
Got this to replace my nikkor 18-55 lens as it starts to have problem taking night shots and wanted a set of lens for walkaround. I have taken over hundred pics since received it 2 days ago. Tack sharp pictures with superb accurate colours. Comparable with my old nikkor kit lens in terms sharpness and colours. Love the range and will be using it for my friend's wedding soon as backup wedding photographer. Excellent for sceneries shots esp day and night. Set ISO to 800 for night sceneries and got excellent detail pictures. This must be my next best lens after my nikkor 50mm f1.8 fast lens. Best buy for this price!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good workhorse lens, March 4, 2008
This is a very good (and cheap) multi-purpose lens. It is the lens I tend to use most of the time for general photography. The 1.5x factor of my Nikon D80 makes the lower end rise to 42mm, but that is not the lens' fault. The only negatives I have is that the AF is a bit slow and since it is a conventional lens, light effects can be noticeable in bright light.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great lens at an affordable price, amateur oriented!, March 28, 2009
Lens delivers for its price tag.

Yes its true, it will not capture front cover National Geographic photos nor pocket camera mediocre results.

The main advantage is the additional zoom range, making good for portraits and has some wide angle for those spontaneous group photos.
The lens tends to get lost in details at its widest range of 28mm when is very sunny and focusing to infinity, the Nikon D60 meter does not adjusts well on these light conditions. I leave the wide angle nature photos to the 18-55 giving better results.
I did some testing at a birthday Playground party (sunny, cloudy day), +1 in sharpness, WB to partly cloudy set at zero. I played every now and then with Under Over exposure; +0.3,.7 when cloudy and -.3-.7 when very sunny. This lens likes to give very saturated colors so try to leave it on Normal, not vivid colors or will be super rich reds, greens.
Portraits: I find this lens does well in this category, if the light is right good details, tones can be achieved with blurry backgrounds at 80mm, remember to use the lens hood. The lens delivers well on portraits, I love it for such a cheap lens, colors come out very good. I retouch many photos on Elements 6 and Camera Raw giving it darker values to shadows and highlights to white areas. Good details are revealed by lowering saturation and contrast with no weird out of focus backgrounds.
It may be me, but I have experienced adjusting the Image and quality to Medium instead of Fine gives better results, I guess less is more in this case.

Close ups with the built in iTTL flash are extremely good, details are excellent, I found the lens to deliver easy and without any much processing with flash and set on Auto, piece of cake.

Overall: very good lens, feels sturdy. I have heard bad comments about plastic lens mount, but the Nikon 18-55 is also plastic. I wish the focusing ring was smoother and zoom be linear instead of rotational, makes it hard to manual focus on moving objects like sports etc. I recommend this lens

This lens gives a very pro look to your camera especially with the lens hood on. Do not worry, this lens DOES NOT look cheap or in other words, it does not look like a 70 dollar lens. I replaced the Tamron lens cap for a Nikon one :-)...

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad., February 1, 2010
I bought this Tamron lens for a Nikon D70. I can't really judge this lens too much because my i have not tried too many Nikon or Nikon based lenses. I needed something on a budget. I read some reviews on different lens ,and it came to trying this one. It's a good lens for the price. I mean, C'mon, it's not even sixty dollars. I haven't found the sweet spot, but so far F8 has been giving me good results. I'm not happy with the results F5.6 and below. Focal 3.5 seems blurrier than F8 most of the time. I don't know if it's the lens, or just my lack of skills that is causing it. Probably my lack of skills. Overall, if you need something cheap and simple to carry around this will do ok.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent photo quality - AF not compatible for D3000, May 28, 2010
The picture quality, when there's ample lighting, was incredibly sharp. In low lighting, the lens performed quite slow because its aperture range doesn't open up very wide. Overall the pictures were quite nice and clear.

I was disappointed that this lens is not autofocus compatible with the lower end Nikon DSLRs, such as D3000, D40, D60, D5000, etc. I would have to change to a lens with a different type of motor for that function. I know that now and learned from my mistake. Since I like to play with manual focus, it's not that bad, but the convenience of AF would be nice to have. I did get to try it on a friend's camera, and the autofocus seems pretty quick.

I would only recommend this lens because it's cheap and image quality is decent. However, compared to other lenses, the build quality feels like cheap plastic. The aperture is not going to be very forgiving in dim lighting, so it's mostly useful during day time shooting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Value for the Money, June 3, 2008
This is the second lens I have ordered for my camera. The first lens I had for about 4 years. The only reason I needed a new one was the ridges that hold the lens to the camera finally snapped. I think it was just normal wear and tear. I was going to look into getting an actual Nikkor lens for my Nikon, but for the money, this little lens does all that I need. Perhaps one day when I am better at photography I will invest in the actual Nikon lenses, but I have never had a problem with my Tamrons. Great lens at a Great price.

2.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this lens if you own a Nikon D40X, December 31, 2010
Just got this lens and had to return it. For some reason the motorized auto-focus does not work with the Nikon D40x body. There is no manual switch on the lens, so the AF function is controlled by the body. Unfortunately the software in the camera will not recognize the lens. Read a couple of reviews just now, which confirmed this. Quality of the lens seemed pretty good otherwise.

Rate and Discover Movies