4.0 out of 5 stars No brainer 4.5 stars
All of you out there that are reading this review of the Tamron 70-200 are probably in one of two categories. 1) Looking for a fast low light zoom but don't wont to pay the price of the Nikon/Canon 2.8 tele or 2) Your looking for a backup telezoom for your Nikon/Canon. I do wedding, family, sports shoots as a side biz and I'm in category 1. You're probably worried...
Published on June 16, 2010 by Brent

3.0 out of 5 stars A wolf in sheeps clothing!
I have owned this lens since November and have taken 1000 plus pics with it. 25% of them are out of focus! I have used it on a 40D, XTI and 50D. I have been shooting middle school sports for 8 years and used a 70-200 f4l, 70-300IS, 85 1.8, and a Tamron 28-75 2.8. All focus much faster and more accurately. All the glowing reviews you read from most users are true, if...
Published on September 16, 2009 by Stephen E. Mcgowan

‹ Previous | 112 13 1426 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommend, March 10, 2013
This review is from: Tamron AF 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD IF Macro Lens with Built in Motor for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras (Model A001NII) (Electronics)
Sharp images until about 150mm... My opinion is not to even try and get a shot at 200mm if you are far away... it will be soft and blurry... but over all it serves its purpose and was worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best lens for the money., December 17, 2012
This is a wide aperture fast lens great for action photography or low light situations. A similar lens with any other name on it will cost you at least 3 times as much so Tamron is the most affordable way to do action photography. It is big and heavy so your arms will get a workout.

4.0 out of 5 stars Other reviews here are correct, November 26, 2012
I agree with many of the other reviews, this is a good value but the focus is slow to grab a target. One work around is to focus manual if the lens starts to focus-hunt. You can switch to manual focus instantly by pulling back on the large focus ring. This takes practice. I shoot mainly sports, I find myself manualy focusing with this lens on any football long pass play or anytime I want to pull an individual subject out of a crowd of players. The focus is the only issue here, the lens seems robust, it is lighter than the Nikon 80-200 2.8 which I also own, and the images seem a little sharper. I had to get the Tamron beause my Nikon 2.8 80-200 wont take the new Nikon cameras (i.e.D3100) which require motorized lenses. The autofocus on this lens does not seem to shorten battery life to any significant degree. Please note: I havent used this lens in cold weather yet, when I do I will update this review if there are issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tamron AF 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD IF Macro Lens with Build in Motor for Nikon, June 5, 2012
This review is for a Tamron AF 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD IF Macro Lens with Build in Motor for Nikon. My camera is a Nikon D5000.I have used the kit lens until now and wish I had started out with a f2.8! I highly recommend paying the extra money for the better lens!!!

It is an awesome lens! It is a bit heavy expecially after you use it a while but SO worth it! For portrait pictures it is good for close up head shots but tends to focus on random items around the area you are focusing on for full body. The Macro is amazing! Detail on small insects that can't be seen with any detail when you are looked at it with your eye, can be seen plain in the photos (hairs on a catepillar's legs and on the leaf it was on). The levels on the photos have not needed to be tweeked at all.
I do not regret this purchase and would recommend it to anyone!
Again it is a bit heavy but so worth it!
I have had it about 2 weeks now and have only taken about 500 picture with it so far so it is really not even broken in yet. So far I really like it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this Lens, May 8, 2012
This is a outstanding Lens . I shot the Lakers, Az Diamondback,Phillies and a host of other teams so far and it is crystal clear . Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 is a Graet lens for the price !!!!!!.
The auto focus is way better than i expected and the picture quality is Awesome !

4.0 out of 5 stars Great lens sharp at f.4 but slow auto focus, May 2, 2012
Overall I am very happy with this lens! It is a great value for the price and is a great stepping stone in the progression of ones camera bag. The consistst 2.8 aperature is a feature you wontbe able to live without. It is over all a very sharp lens Expecially at f.4 and has nice smooth bokeh. The auto focus is painfully slow and loud. I have missed a few shots at sporting events and of wildlife due to this.

5.0 out of 5 stars 200mm Constant, March 22, 2012
Great lens for the money. You will not miss the image stabilization because you have f/2.8 and can get a fast shutter speed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast enough for me!, March 20, 2012
In short, i have no problems with the "hunting" of this lens. Shooting baseball has not been a problem, great portrait lens. I actuall ylike the clicking effect between AF and MF although it is easlity nudged back to AF. I dont think you could go wrong with this or the Sigma honestly

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprising quality .... a great lens for the money, January 20, 2012
I waited a few months before writing this review. I wanted to make sure I had plenty of time to test and evaluate my new Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 zoom lens. I wanted to compare it against the newest Sigma 70-200mm zoom, which is 2x the costs. I ordered the Sigma, tested it for about 3 days, and returned to Amazon after sub-par results for the money. I basically saw no benefit or difference when using the optical stabilization, which is what you are paying for on the Sigma lens. I sent the Sigma back and ordered the Tamron. What I found was amazing. Yes, the Tamron lens is HUGE, and about 2x the bulk of the Sigma. It is a fair trade-off for the difference in picture quality and the lower costs. I found the Tamron shots much sharper, and superior to the Sigma. I also found the bokeh to be superior on the Tamron shots. I realized that I could take low light shots with the Tamron just as effectively without OS. With the larger glass and f2.8, I found OS to be unnecessary. I don't miss it at all, and I am very glad I saved $700 and went with the Tamron. If you are looking for a low f-stop zoom to complement your lens collection, I highly recommend the Tamron for it's costs-to-value ratio.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tamron 70-200 Magic, May 24, 2011
I received my Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 lens and, with the exception that it is a heavy lens (good glass is) it is the best lens in my collection for it's intended use. Sharp, fast and although it lacks vibration compensation the speed of the glass gives me all of the shutter speed I need to take great photos even at the 200mm end and in subdued light.

The switch from auto focus to manual is sheer genius from the Tamron people. You simply pull back on the focus ring to engage the manual focus and voila, there you go. No more hunting around for the SWITCH!

The included tripod mount detaches easily if you don't want to use it and is marked for shooting vertical or horizontal if you do. Simply loosen it and turn the camera.

The ONLY complaint I have is that for some strange reason the base lens cap from the Tamron does not fit on my Canon lenses (it is a MUST to keep them covered!) I remedied this by buying a replacement one from Amazon for just a few dollars.

‹ Previous | 112 13 1426 | Next ›