on June 13, 2013
After much searching for a budget alternative to the Nikon 70-200 F2.8 I settled on the Tamron version. Honestly this lens is worth the money, forget all the bad reports. Yes some people may get bad versions of this lens however honestly by far most versions are good extremely good. I am from the Caribbean and a "new photographer" if I could say that and for some of us we cannot afford a $2300 US lens that's $14000+ Trinidad dollars. I probably will get the nikon version later on when I am more established but honestly there is not much about this lens to be unhappy with.

Let's list the good things about this lens-
(i) Sharp, real sharp - I thought my 50 mm 1.8 was sharp boy was I wrong, this lens nails it almost every time on the auto focus at 100% crop there is no softness.
(ii) Color reproduction is fantastic.
(iii) Low light focusing is slow but honestly many good lenses hunt in really low light, I found that half way pressing the shutter releasing and pressing again solves that problem real fast.
(iv) Bokeh is how to say....um just Bokehlicious
(v) Really and truly the focus motor is not that loud as some people make it out to be it is well within acceptable levels your camera shutter will make more noise.
(vi) Image distortion is minimal, if any at all
(viii) ability to work on FX and DX bodies.

Ok the bad -
(i) Not for sports or action, auto focus motor a touch too slow for that.
(ii) No VR. In my case I am lucky that I have real steady hands so a real slow shutter speed is not a problem for me
(iii) The push/pull clutch system for some people it is a bit auk ward but after a while you get use to it and it does not bother you.

So all round a great lens, you can't have everything you want, and if you do, then buy a Nikon lens but I can assure you this lens is honestly the best bang for the buck.
review image
on September 30, 2013
Worked great on taking action photos of football games.
Would recommend for both action and wild life photos.
Was what I needed to take pictures of my grandsons playing
football
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 26, 2014
Great if you are used to manual focus. Let me explain. I have been shooting with all sorts of lenses for the past quarter century and it is really hard for me to "pass" a lens with flying colors. This lens is one that blew me away with it's sharpness, contrast and ability to accurately reproduce color and value. The build is incredible and it feels great and balances evenly. When shooting in manual focus you can be assured of tack sharp results from F 2.8 on. Really, any aperture!.

But..as I was using a Canon body ( T3 and T3I in my case ) and I had to be sure of great shots, I did not use the auto focus! This lens/camera combination missed focus in the most static, un-contrasty of conditions. I would say a good 30 percent of the time. I have never shot with a lens that misses so many "easy" shots.

I take water action sports shots, so unfortunately this lens had to go back. I just cannot keep up the rivers speed and unpredictability to keep this lens in manual focus. But, this is a SUPER sharp lens. Amazing in fact. If I keep it manual!

I am going with the Canon 2.8, non IS,70-200. It is a good 2x the $ but I just can't miss the great shots that never repeat!
on April 17, 2013
This lens gives you a lot of bang for the buck. It's very sharp through out it's zoom range with very little distortions or aberrations. The clutch on the focus ring allows you to quickly switch from auto focus to manual focus and that's a very good thing because this lens does sometimes run into problems with it's auto focus.

In one shot mode this lens nails focus pretty well in decent light. It improved significantly with the addition of a Canon 6D to my bag which is mostly due to the 6D's exceptional low light AF ability. The lens hunts in between shots when using it in AI modes causing it to have a very low keeper rate. The work around to this is to leave focus in one shot mode and half press the shutter a lot to keep it focusing. You can still put the shutter in continuous shooting mode just understand that each shot will be focused on where the camera focused prior to the first shot.

If you can work with these limitations this is a good lens and it's IQ is up there with the best. If you need a lens that is even sharper and has more consistent AF then you can get either of the Canon 70-200L f2.8 with or without IS. They are much more expensive though.
on August 26, 2011
I've had the Tamron AF 70-200 mm lens for Sony around one month. It has taken some great shots. It has clean, clear and crisp results. It is easy to focus and shoot away.
on July 12, 2013
I received the lens promptly as ordered. I have no complaints about the picture quality, it is a great improvement from most of my prior lenses. After receiving the lens I took some pictures and it work as advertised. It is 2 months after receiving the lens I started to get code 001 on my canon 5d2. This is the only lens that does it. I called Tamron and was told to send it in for service. I don't like to send items that are new into service quite this fast. So beware this product. I think I will stick with Canon lenses from now on. Even with the lower picture quality lenses i have never had this problem.

Update 8/10/2013
I sent the lens into Tamron for service. Tamron fixed the lens and had it back to me within 7 days. The information stated it would take 3 days after receipt for the lens to be fixed.
I was pleasantly surprised when the lens was returned promptly. Most of the time was spent in shipping. So, I might have to evaluate my stand against Tamron products. Tamron customer service
was great, could not ask for a better experience.
on June 5, 2012
This review is for a Tamron AF 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD IF Macro Lens with Build in Motor for Nikon. My camera is a Nikon D5000.I have used the kit lens until now and wish I had started out with a f2.8! I highly recommend paying the extra money for the better lens!!!

It is an awesome lens! It is a bit heavy expecially after you use it a while but SO worth it! For portrait pictures it is good for close up head shots but tends to focus on random items around the area you are focusing on for full body. The Macro is amazing! Detail on small insects that can't be seen with any detail when you are looked at it with your eye, can be seen plain in the photos (hairs on a catepillar's legs and on the leaf it was on). The levels on the photos have not needed to be tweeked at all.
I do not regret this purchase and would recommend it to anyone!
Again it is a bit heavy but so worth it!
I have had it about 2 weeks now and have only taken about 500 picture with it so far so it is really not even broken in yet. So far I really like it!!
on August 10, 2013
I bought this after spending months debating in my head. Should I go for this one, or keep saving for the Canon? I finally decided to purchase this over the Canon, as I'm not a pro (yet); and could not justify the extra expense.

So, if you too are debating, stop and go ahead and pull the trigger on this one. It's fantastic! It may not be as heavy-duty as an L-series lens, but it's built well enough; and it meets my needs. Not to mention, I could by three of these for the cost of a new 70-200 L equivalent.

Some people complain that it that it doesn't focus 'fast enough.' Well, it does great for me. Others complain about how it switches from auto to manual focus (a sliding collar, rather than a switch). I admit I was leery about it at first, but now I actually prefer it, as in the rare situation where I need to switch, my hand is typically right there anyway, and I don't have to look down to find a switch.

All-in-all, I'm absolutely satisfied with this lens; and I highly recommend it.
on May 24, 2011
I received my Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 lens and, with the exception that it is a heavy lens (good glass is) it is the best lens in my collection for it's intended use. Sharp, fast and although it lacks vibration compensation the speed of the glass gives me all of the shutter speed I need to take great photos even at the 200mm end and in subdued light.

The switch from auto focus to manual is sheer genius from the Tamron people. You simply pull back on the focus ring to engage the manual focus and voila, there you go. No more hunting around for the SWITCH!

The included tripod mount detaches easily if you don't want to use it and is marked for shooting vertical or horizontal if you do. Simply loosen it and turn the camera.

The ONLY complaint I have is that for some strange reason the base lens cap from the Tamron does not fit on my Canon lenses (it is a MUST to keep them covered!) I remedied this by buying a replacement one from Amazon for just a few dollars.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I agree with many of the other reviews, this is a good value but the focus is slow to grab a target. One work around is to focus manual if the lens starts to focus-hunt. You can switch to manual focus instantly by pulling back on the large focus ring. This takes practice. I shoot mainly sports, I find myself manualy focusing with this lens on any football long pass play or anytime I want to pull an individual subject out of a crowd of players. The focus is the only issue here, the lens seems robust, it is lighter than the Nikon 80-200 2.8 which I also own, and the images seem a little sharper. I had to get the Tamron beause my Nikon 2.8 80-200 wont take the new Nikon cameras (i.e.D3100) which require motorized lenses. The autofocus on this lens does not seem to shorten battery life to any significant degree. Please note: I havent used this lens in cold weather yet, when I do I will update this review if there are issues.