4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good lens for just over a $100
Published on March 3, 2009 by D. Brodsky

3.0 out of 5 stars not bad for the money
Had read some good things in dpreview (and at least one other digital camera forum) about this lens. It gives my K100D a nice "reach" (up to about 450mm equivalent focal length) and adds a decent macro magnification above 180 mm (270 mm equivalent)... however, it's affordable for a reason: not very sharp at any focal length, adds some color cast to images, has a rotating...
Published on April 6, 2007 by Hal C. Bryson

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good lens for just over a $100, March 3, 2009
This review is from: Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 Di LD Macro Zoom Lens with Built In Motor for Nikon Digital SLR (Model A17NII) (Camera)
I own both Canon gear (Canon 40D) and Nikon gear (D40). Since Nikon is my cheaper lighter gear, I am not to invest a lot of $$$ into it. While D40 is light and cheap, it is an excellent camera which I use all the time for many reasons. I needed a tele lens to compliment my kit 18-55 lens (which is excellent in itself and gets great reviews). I was between Tamron 70-300 and Sigma 70-300 APO since Nikon's 70-300 is 4 times more expensive than Tamron and Sigma. After reading tons of reviews and playing with both Tamron and Sigma, I chose Tamron and I am very happy I did. There are several versions of Tamron's 70-300, however this one is the latest, 2008 version, which autofocuses on D40, 40X and 60. This lens is remarkable for the amount it is sold for. I've taken many great photos with it on vacation and around town. It is also very compact and light. While it is not an ideal lens to shoot Birds in Flight (neither is D40 with its 2.5 fps) due to its slow autofocusing mechanism, it is great for general photos and portraits. As you can see from samples I even took some bee shots with it. I took a star because of slow autofocusing, but hey, you are paying $130 for it, realize it. I recommend this lens over Sigma for budget shooters who want 300 tele, but don't want to pay $450 Nikon wants for its version. I am happy with it

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Lense for the Money, September 17, 2009
This is great lens for the money. Actually, an incredible deal. It is worth the price just for the macro mode. The pictures I have been taking of flowers are excellent.

Comparing this lens to it's competition - the Nikon 70-300 & Sigma 70-300:

The 3 lenses are comparable in length (4.6"), diameter (3"), & weight (1#). They each have 9 bladed apertures. They are all about the same price. None have VR - you have to spend 400 more bucks to get this for a Nikon.

The Sigma and Tamron are superior to the Nikon, because

- they have LD glass,
- they are Digital Integrated,
- they have focus motors,
- they have Macro modes (1:2),

The Tamron is superior to the Sigma, because

- it is a newer design (introduced 1/08 as opposed to 10/03),
- it has a 6 year Warranty, as opposed to only a 1yr for the Sigma.

Notes: The Tamron and Nikon use 62mm filters, the Sigma uses 58mm.
Buy a monopod [ASIN:B0002YE6EU Canon Monopod 100 for SLR Cameras & Lenses]]

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome lens at a bargain price, December 11, 2007
When my old Sigma 70-300mm lens died this summer, I wondered if I'd be able to replace it with anything I liked as well. I'd used it with my Minolta SLR camera for years, and then for a couple of months with my new Sony DSLR, and it had performed beautifully. But this Tamron lens far exceeded my expectations. It is relatively lightweight, yet feels sturdy enough to stand up to hard use. The focus is sharp and quick, and it works very well with Sony's Super Steady Shot feature (essential for me since I don't use a tripod). Pictures shot in macro mode are gorgeous, once I got used to the minimum focal distance. And the price of the Tamron lens is a real bargain when compared to other lenses that work with Sony DSLRs. I'm a pretty good amateur photographer, and I'm picky about the quality of my equipment, but I don't want to spend more than I need to. This lens is just what I needed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value in this updated design., July 23, 2006
The new Di lenses from Tamron are designed to work well with digital cameras, although those with the Di will work for 35mm as well (Di-II only work with smaller, APS-C chip size digital cameras). This is an improvement on the fine 70-300 LD (Low Dispersion glass) design. The major improvements in this lens are in the coatings, to help reduce any color bias, and minimize reflections. Additionally, lens manufacturers are doing more inside the barrels to reduce reflections.

Like the older LD design, the new lens has a close-up mode (not strictly "macro") position that allows images 1/2 lifesize on the negative. That's about twice the size of most 300mm zooms lacking this feature.

Compared to the current Pentax lineup, this is a real winner. The Tamron includes a lens hood, and has a much longer warranty (6 years vs. 1). The Pentax design is also older, and may not meet the critical demands of the new digital chips.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value in this updated design., July 23, 2006

If you're buying this for one of the new Sony Alpha series, this might be your best bet. The Tamron will include a 6-year USA warranty. It also includes the lens hood. The Sony 75-300 is repackaging of the older Konica-Minolta 75-300 lens, a lens that hit the market before any KM digital SLRs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Value and Quality all in one, June 21, 2009
The lens is a full frame lens. On a DSLR body like the Pentax K2000 it behaves like a 105mm-450mm lens with no issues with vigneting. Because only the center of the lens is used in modern Pentax cameras you also get the best sharpness the lens can give you.

At 70mm (105mm equivalent) the lens is reasonably sharp at full open f/4 aperture. At f/5.6 it gets good sharpness.

At 180mm (270mm equivalent) the lens is usably sharp at full open aperture. At f/8.0 it gets good sharpness.

At 300mm (450mm equivalent) the lens is soft at full open aperture. At f/8.0 it gets average sharpness but gets a little better at f/11.

General Contrast: Average at most times but I never feel it is lacking. Just not impressive like some prime lenses.

Lens Distortion: Hardly any lens distortion to talk about.

Chromatic aberrations can sometimes be seen beyond 200mm (easily corrected in Photoshop)

Focus Speed: Average to slow focus speed. Not good to track fast moving objects or small flying insects. Not saying it is bad but you can react faster than the lens can keep up on a K2000.

Macro: Begins at 180mm (270mm equivalent)and at f/8 you can get some really nice pictures. The minumum focal range of 3 feet makes macro hand held shoots harder. Not a problem with a tripod. The magnification is good even if it is not a true macro lens.

Mechanical Quality: A little stiff to zoom in, manual focus ring is OK. Feels a little cheap at times from all the plastic. Metal mount and decent hood. Large as to be expected from a full frame lens but not heavy.

Price: You get a lot of lens for your money.

Use: This lens does better outdoors with lots is light. The long focal range at the short end (70mm, 105mm effective) makes it impractical for small spaces (unless in Macro mode and even then you need 3 feet to focus). On the other hand if you get enough light portraits pictures at 70mm (105mm effective) at f/5.6 - f/8.0 can come out nice. With enough light and f/11 even 300mm (450mm) is totally usable for large prints after a little Photoshop.

Conclusion: Maybe the best of the low end tele zoom lens for Pentax. By far the best value of the group.

4.0 out of 5 stars good lens for the money, November 4, 2007
The lens is a little slow on AF when light is low but other than that, I've got no real problems with it. Has great, sharp focus at all ranges. I work at a bird preserve and I'm always taking bird pictures, especially birds in flight. It can be slow in the initial focus but after that, it holds true and you can count the individual feathers on the bird. For the money paid, I have no regrets in buying it. Great value for the cost.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lot's of zoom, but make sure you have the room, December 13, 2006
I bought this lens to go with my Tamron DI 17-35mm lens, and have been impressed by both so far. I was contemplating a 50-200mm lens that had a shorter barrel, but opted for this one instead. It's got 50% more reach to get some great shots. Plus, it has a true macro function, where-as other lenses in this range only mimic macro.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does better than the more expensive lens, December 10, 2006
This lens is great. Don't let the price fool you, it's a great performer with quality components. Unlike some other lenses making claimes of quality, Tamron continues to deliver. Japanese parts, glass, electronics. Unlike the other guys, Tamron actually licenses the Minolta/Sony software so they can program good compatible and reliable code that works perfectly with Konica/Minolta/Sony (also Cannon and Olympus) cameras. The other top sellers reverse engineer their code, so who knows what you are getting. The other reviewer gives a good description of the DI and 'close-up' mode, which works extremely well. Check out his review.

Important, this lens does come with a good solid metal mount to attach it to the camera body.

This lens is great, it's worth much more than $200. Sony isn't selling the new Zeiss 70-300mm lens yet and the current lens is just a repackaged Minolta Maxim lens which is still a great lens, but I don't like it as well as this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars New favorite Lens!, August 6, 2012
I just got this item today and was iffy if it would work Auto Focus with my camera. I know my camera doesn't do AF models which this one is, My camera is a nikon D3100, and you have to have a AF-S or AF-I for it to work with autofocus. HOWEVER, this model says at the top WORKS with all DIGITAL SLR Nikon cameras (if you are selecting the Nikon model of course. IT DOES work with NIKON D3100. I'm so excited. This is a great lens. You have a slider for macro and for regular telephoto. I have finished taking a few pictures outside and will upload a few of them on here in a few minutes. LOVE LOVE LOVE this lens!!!! I think it's a must buy for all NIKON owners. I'm just thrilled with the auto focus, and macro features. =)