2,229 Reviews
 (1,805)

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthy Addition to Disney's Classic Films
*contains some spoilery bits*

Tangled, Disney's version of the oft-refashioned folk tale Rapunzel, is the studio's 50th animated film and one that is destined for classic status.

The Synopsis:
Published on November 25, 2010 by Mary Kate

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother
We watched this with my two-and-a-half-year-old and were disappointed. Like many Disney films before it, it is a terrible message for young girls: date a bad boy against your mother's advice; he will reform himself and you will discover you are really a princess. Moreover, it's severely lacking in good songs. I will admit that it is visually impressive, but that's not...
Published 1 month ago by Laura B.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthy Addition to Disney's Classic Films, November 25, 2010
Mary Kate (Wisconsin, USA) - See all my reviews
*contains some spoilery bits*

The Synopsis:
This latest retelling begins with a tiny piece of sunlight falling to earth and a magical golden flower sprouting where it lands. The flower, and its ability to restore youth, is discovered, used and kept secret by Mother Gothel. When the kingdom's beloved queen falls ill, a search for the flower (apparently its existence wasn't *completely* secret) is successfully undertaken and the healing potion brewed from it restores the queen's health. The flower's magical abilities are also transferred to the hair of the queen's unborn child, Rapunzel. When Mother Gothel discovers this and learns that the magical properties are only retained as long as the hair remains uncut, she kidnaps Rapunzel and raises her as her own child. Claiming that she wants to keep Rapunzel safe from a frightening world full of danger and thugs, Mother Gothel locks her away in a remote tower. While her hair (almost a character in and of itself) grows longer and longer, Rapunzel blossoms into a surprisingly well-adjusted young woman and gifted artist who longs to see the world - particularly the mysterious lights that appear in the night sky each year on her birthday.

Enter our amusing narrator, Flynn Rider, a roguish thief who has just stolen a tiara and is on the run from palace guards when he comes across Rapunzel's tower and takes refuge there. The very competent Rapunzel restrains Flynn, hides the tiara and strikes a bargain with him - she will return the tiara to him if he will agree to take her to see those mysterious lights, which he tells her are floating lanterns. Flynn agrees and the two set off on a rollicking adventure. Pursued now, not only by Maximus - a horse from the palace guard who refuses to give up the chase - but also by a pair of thugs Flynn double-crossed AND Mother Gothel, Flynn and Rapunzel learn to trust each other as they make one narrow escape from their pursuers after another.

Comments:
Tangled is a laugh-out-loud funny family film that will thoroughly entertain both children and adults. The animation is stellar, the story engaging and the pacing excellent, never dragging for a moment. Rapunzel and Flynn are both charming and likeable, making it easy for viewers to root for them. Further, they are surrounded by a terrific supporting cast including tavern thugs with secret dreams and Pascal, Rapunzel's pet chameleon. But it's Maximus who truly steals the show. The expressive horse is brave, determined, sometimes petty, and hilarious. Every scene he's in is solid gold. I would love to see some sort of sequel with Max and Flynn trading quips - particularly since Max doesn't speak at all and the two still seemed to be doing just that through much of Tangled.

I did have a couple of quibbles, neither of which significantly impacted my enjoyment of the film. First, the colors often seemed a bit too dark to me, rather grayed out. This impression may well have been exacerbated by the 3D glasses. (ETA: A couple of fellow reviewers have commented that they found the colors bright and vibrant when they viewed the film in 2D. It seems likely that my experience may have had more to do with the theater where I saw the film or with the 3D glasses - or a bit of both. This is especially important since I imagine most Amazon costumers will be purchasing this film in 2D. My thanks to Star Fire and Thomas Plotkin for their input - I really appreciate it!) Second, even though I felt they were well performed, the songs were, IMHO, largely under whelming. With the exception of the lovely "I See the Light", I felt they had neither the excitement of previous Disney showstoppers "Be Our Guest", "Under the Sea" or "I Just Can't Wait to Be King" nor the memorable melodies of "Kiss the Girl", "Beauty and the Beast" or "Circle of Life".

On the plus side, the film is rich in emotional depth and is blessed with a number of wonderful scenes. My favorite sequence begins with Rapunzel and Flynn entering the village and dancing with the villagers and continues on through their scene on the lake among the floating lanterns. Their happiness in the village, Rapunzel's sense of wonder (and ours!) while surrounded by the lanterns, the romantic song they sing as they realize they're attracted to one another and may be falling in love - it's all perfect. The lantern scene is jaw-droppingly gorgeous - well worth the price of admission on its own and the film's most effective use of 3D. Another scene that I loved for its poignancy centers on the silent communication between Rapunzel's parents as they mourn their lost daughter together just before releasing their floating lantern.

I do want to alert parents to one element. The relationship between Rapunzel and Mother Gothel is difficult and layered, dealing with emotional abuse masked with concern and declarations of love. (Mother Gothel's frequent put-downs of Rapunzel, followed by a cheery "Just kidding!" had me clenching my teeth.) Young children who are used to a more black and white portrayal of good and evil may be confused by Rapunzel's oft-declared love for the woman she believes is her mother and by Rapunzel's conflicted feelings when she first leaves the tower with Flynn. This unhealthy relationship doesn't overshadow the film, nor does it steal the humor and fun from it, but parents should be prepared for questions children might ask and concerns they might have. These questions may not come until a second or third viewing, when children have already seen the scenes where Mother Gothel more explicitly reveals her true nature and so have that knowledge when viewing the early mother/daughter scenes.

That said, I still loved the film and believe it's a great addition to Disney's animated classics. Lastly, let me just add a big "Yeah!" to the film's final moments when Flynn, back in narrator mode, reveals that it was several years before he and Rapunzel got married. A much better message for children than the more usual we-saw-each-other-twice-before-tying-the-knot which seems almost de rigueur in so many fairy tales.

Highly recommended.

Note: Author, editor and fairy tale aficionado Terri Windling has written a wonderful essay about the long history of the "Maiden in a Tower" story which, it turns out, predates the Brothers Grimm by more than 200 years. I found reading about how a story evolves over time and across cultures absolutely fascinating. (Essay is available at Windling's website. A simple google search - "Rapunzel" + "Terri Windling" - should get you there.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Get Caught Up In Tangled!, February 1, 2011
This review is from: Tangled (DVD)
Without female companionship, it's hard to go see Tangled and still maintain an air of manliness and virility. So, abandoning all hope of preserving that façade, I decided to go all the way to the deep end of the lame pool and see it with my parents. And for once, the dearth of self-confidence that inspired me to long ago stop vying for success with the fairer sex paid off, because when the dust settled and the credits rolled, there was only one fact left standing, and it towered above all other thoughts and insecurities: Tangled was AWESOME!

What a cast of characters! Zachary Levi, or Chuck from Chuck (for those of you who watch my favorite television show), is perfectly charming as Flynn Rider, the shallow and selfish thief whose good looks are rivaled only by Narcissus. Immediately likeable despite his negative qualities, Flynn Rider's journey toward empathy is one which is quickly obvious, and yet it is so flawlessly executed that I found his transformation transfixing at every turn.

As for Rapunzel (Mandy Moore), well, I was pretty much in love with her the moment I saw her. The epitome of innocence, Rapunzel is a drop of sunshine in the darkness. Her unadulterated joy is contagious, infecting even the most jaded and cynical. It was a pleasure to see how people changed when touched by such a fair creature, whether it be a group of thugs singing about their dreams or innumerable citizens breaking out into dance in the streets. Again, Rapunzel's character arc was rather obvious: from an obedient girl afraid of the world to a real person living her life. And again, it didn't matter, because that arc was artfully crafted.

Mother Gothel (Donna Murphy) is an understandable villain. I mean, Rapunzel's magic hair gives her eternal youth. If that's not a good reason for keeping your daughter in a tower, I don't know what is. The two characters of a different genus deserve quite a bit of recognition themselves. Pascal the chameleon makes for an excellent sidekick to Rapunzel. He's just about the cutest thing ever (right behind How to Train Your Dragon's Toothless), and his indignant looks are a great counterpoint to Rapunzel's innocent absurdity. Even Maximus, the head guard's horse, is an amazing character with a story of his own. He tracks Flynn Rider with brutal determination, but as per usual, ends up joining the team.

Honestly, this movie has the perfect setup. You see, Flynn Rider is a character you can really get behind. Sure, he doesn't care about other people, but his charm makes him unarguably, well, charming. Oh, and Rapunzel is a character you can really get behind. The opposite of Flynn, she is trusting and cares deeply for everyone, and yet she has much to learn about the world. We love both characters from the beginning, and the traits that make each of them so great directly reflect the other's flaws, so when fate brings them together, we get to watch an incredible relationship blossom.

Plus, there were a couple of little lines that broke the fourth wall in an amusing way. At one point, Flynn Rider calls Pascal a frog. Rapunzel, offended, points out that it's a chameleon, to which Flynn responds "Nuance." Bringing up the cliché of a princess and a frog is especially amusing, since Disney's last animated film was titled The Princess and the Frog. Also, like I said, Mother Gothel isn't particularly villainous during the film, just a bit attached to the idea of immortality. Now, when she argues with Rapunzel, she always complains that Rapunzel is "making her the bad guy." Well, I really wanted her to be the bad guy so I could cheer when she got her comeuppance, and then finally, much to my delight, she snaps, saying "You want me to be the bad guy? Fine. Now I'm the bad guy." To her, she was harkening back to those old arguments, but to me, she was talking directly to the audience, letting us know that it was ok to root against her.

If I had one complaint, and I do, it would be that the songs didn't quite live up to my expectations. They were still excellent, but they were a bit more ponderous than some Disney tunes. With the exception of "I've Got a Dream," they were slow, character-heavy numbers that, while still of a high quality, lacked the pizzazz that got the Aladdin soundtrack stuck so firmly in my head.

But the songs certainly didn't detract from the experience. The dialogue was sharp, the animation was beyond beautiful, and the movie was both touching and hilarious. And as an added bonus, there was a lot of great insight into human nature. I cared for those characters, and the film was able to jerk my emotions around however it wanted. My sides hurt from laughing, my eyes ached from tears. Flynn's charm and Rapunzel's joy didn't just affect the other characters; they reached right out of that screen and touched me too, and because of that, I give Tangled:

5/5 Stars

The only truly sad thing about this movie was that Rapunzel ended up becoming a brunette. Oh, the humanity!

Check out thenickelscreen on wordpress for more reviews!

5.0 out of 5 stars *Amazing Disney Film*, December 17, 2010
Tangled is an amazing movie! The story is very well written and the pace of the movie never gets boring. Alan Menken's score is breathtaking! Easily one of my favorite Disney movies of ALL TIME, and I grew up in the second golden age of The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Beauty And the Beast, ect.
I have seen the movie twice in the theater. I cannot recall EVER going to the see a movie a second time in the theater. I actually might see it again in 3D as it was stunning! Also One of Disney's best villains in my opinion. The psychological aspect of Mother Gothel is deep.

Don't miss this new age Disney classic. Perfect for everyone in your family. It will warm your heart, make you laugh and cry and gives you that Disney magic feeling we have been waiting for since Beauty and the Beast! Amazing!!

I cannot wait for this to come out on Blu-Ray. I even thought about getting a 3D tv..Yeah this movie was that good in 3D for me...haha

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps The Greatest Disney Animated Movie Yet, November 28, 2010
Grace (Washington) - See all my reviews
Disney is very unpredictable. They crank out the movies; some great and some not so great. But their animated movies are a little more trustworthy; most of them are brilliant family fun. "Tangled" may perhaps be the best Disney Animated production yet!!

Tangled is the story of a girl named Rapunzel (played by Mandy Moore), who was kidnapped as a baby and put in a tower, where her "mother" (played by Donna Murphy) takes care of her, telling to stay indoors, where it is safe. Now, 18, Rapunzel's dream is to see (up close) the mysterious floating lanterns that are released through the sky on HER Birthday each year. Her mother forbids it. And thus enters Flynn Ryder (played by Zachary Levi). Flynn Ryder is a wanted thief who stole the crown of the long-lost princess. He seeks refuge in Rapunzel's castle while her mother is away. Thus begins a long adventure; seeking the mysterious floating lanterns, escaping palace guards and evil captors, finding true love, etc.

"Tangled" is full of intense adventure and roll-on-the-floor humor, as well as quotable lines and memorable songs.
Rapunzel and Flynn have great chemistry, clashing and blending in the perfect way.
Secondary characters like Pascel the chamelion and Maximus the horse add so much feeling and humor to the movie.

One of the things I love about "Tangled" is the depth. The 'bad guy' isn't some large sea monster or scary witch, she's a little bit more subtle, a blend of good and bad.
The scenes switch from suspenseful, to romantic, to funny, to intense, without a single boring moment.
This unforgettable romp is great for all ages, and a brilliant addition to the Disney Princess Movie collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars pretend the last 10 yrs of disney didnt happen, it's back to ariel/aladdin, April 9, 2011
This review is from: Tangled (DVD)
i'm a big fan of the old school disney movies like robin hood, aladdin, the little mermaid etc, so the past 10 yrs or so of disney movies have been very disappointing for me. tangled, was a breath of fresh air. it's finding nemo/up humor mixed with disney princesses. i thoroughly enjoyed it. i'd heard bad things about the movie when it was changed from "repunzel" to "tangled" but i disagree. i think it was a good mix of a more humorous aladdin (character) for flynn and repunzel is an ariel mixed with a boo from monster's inc. : )

5.0 out of 5 stars Won over a hardened Disney cynic, January 11, 2011
I'm sure I won't be surprising many people when I say that I think Disney is really lousy nowadays. They seem to spend most of their time creating pop music icons (they currently have THREE circulating) and horrendously badly acted high school dramas, and their last animated feature, the incredibly hyped and incredibly average The Princess and the Frog, seemed more like a cheap attempt to make money on the novelty of a "black Disney princess" than a genuine strive for cultural diversity. So when I saw the horrendous trailer for "Tangled," which seemed to present the movie as one of those "hip, modern"-type retellings and actually used the phrase "she's been grounded for, like, EVER!", I think I was justified in thinking the film would be lousy. But just as one must never judge a book by its cover, one must also always remember that the people who make the trailers are NOT the people who make the film. It's a shame, really: that trailer was so misrepresentative of the film that not only I but many people like me (college students who loved the classic Disney films) either didn't see the film at all, or didn't see it for over a month until word of mouth finally convinced us. The movie is awesome.

If you're wondering why I included so much personal information in this review, it's because I just know there are many other classic-Disney fans like myself who don't want to see Tangled because they think it looks lousy. And to those people I say this: I know where you're coming from, but just watch the dang movie. It's fantastic. It's right up there with all the classic Disney Princess films... in fact, it might be my second favorite, just behind "Beauty and the Beast." It's not "hip" or "edgy," it's a classic fairy tale with one important twist right at the beginning which forms the premise of the entire plot. And the twist isn't stupid, either, it's very well-conceived and gives the tale the dramatic weight it needs.

The film had me in tears before any characters even spoke (not counting the opening narration). Not because of the plot or any sort of emotional scene, but because the first daytime exterior shot of Rapunzel's tower is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen in an animated feature. The entire movie is vibrant, alive, colorful, and overall a joy to behold. Rapunzel's hair is certainly the best CG hair ever programmed, and the characters are animated in a way that makes them seem just like their older, hand-drawn predecessors. But by far most of the beauty in this film comes from the scenery and environments. The grass is luscious springy, bright green, the water sparkles and flows, and the... "lights" (I'm avoiding spoilers here) are also tear-inducing from sheer aesthetic splendor (to say nothing of that scene's emotional content). You'll never get tired of just looking at the sights this film has in store.

Characters? I don't want to spoil, but rest assured they are wonderfully written, animated, and voice-acted, with memorable personalities and some great visual gags. I will say, however, that the animal sidekick Pascal is one of the weakest animal sidekicks Disney has created for its films. There's nothing annoying or BAD about him, but... he just doesn't have very many good shots, and the few hilarious things he does are only funny because of the interplay with two of the other characters. Speaking of the two other characters... there is this horse. And he his hilarious. He's the animal that Pascal is not; EVERY SINGLE THING HE DOES is animated in a hilariously eccentric way. It's great.

The music grew on me. A LOT. As in... after seeing Tangled for the first time, my main and only criticism was "the songs weren't that good," but after a second viewing I had them stuck in my head for a week. They're great, with the exception of the opener, which is only good.

Which brings me to my only criticism of this film significant enough to warrant typing: it doesn't start out great. The film starts out with some backstory, like Beauty and the Beast, animated and, more importantly, NARRATED to give the viewer the key bits of information that will be important later. But the narration, in my opinion, is unnecessary. "Up" and "WALL-E" showed how powerful silence could be in an animated picture, but Disney wasn't paying attention. Now, if Disney just took the narration out, there wouldn't be quite enough information to make sense of, but I strongly believe that the opening plot setup could easily have been storyboarded in such a way as to convey the necessary info silently (except for the brief song... that can stay). However, the narration is very well voiced, so it's not BAD, it's just... not amazing. After this scene is the opening song, which is, as I mentioned earlier, the weakest in the film. Then that scene abruptly cuts to the other main character in media res... and the movie is fantastic from that point on. The opening scenes don't ruin the film or even make it lose a star from me, but I still wish Disney would have shown more confidence and put their best foot forward instead of trying to make sure they hook in modern youngsters with obvious narration and a kitschy pop song.

But anyway: if you are cynical about this film because of the state of modern Disney OR its trailer, I hope that this scatterbrained review convinces you otherwise. So much could be said about this film... I just figured I'd rattle off my favorite things about it and my main criticism and leave it at that. This is classic Disney greatness.

5.0 out of 5 stars My kids love it., April 4, 2011
M. R. Nelson "M. R. Nelson" (Salt Lake City, UT, USA/ EUA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tangled (DVD)
Even though it is a "princess" film, my two boys (5 and 2) absolutly love it. They have watched it at least a dozen times in the last week.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic with a twist, April 4, 2011
This review is from: Tangled (DVD)
This is a cute movie that takes the classic story of Rapunzel and gives it a new twist. With fun characters, amazing animation, beautiful songs and a great voice cast (Mandy Moore as both the speaking and singing voice of Rapunzel) it is sure to become a beloved classic in the ranks of The Little Mermaid and Beauty & the Beast. I would definitely recommend to anyone who is young at heart and has ever had a dream.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesomeness Wrapped in Sunshine, April 3, 2011
This review is from: Tangled (Amazon Instant Video)
Okay, so I am an avid Disney fan...have seen every princess movie and admittedly was not expecting much from this movie. To date I've seen it 6 times (twice in theater and four times since getting it from amazon-I did the pre-order), I love the characters, and while there are things I'm not over the top about (namely the creepy half naked drunk midget man running around dressed like cupid) it still makes me laugh and enjoy watching it. I haven't been this excited about a Disney princess movie since The Little Mermaid, so if you haven't seen it and you're on the fence about it-watch it. (As I write this I have one of the songs stuck in my head)

5.0 out of 5 stars What a STUNNING film!, November 29, 2010
I grew up with The little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin and this is one of the best Disney movies in my opinion. it is right up there with all their other classics! My whole family adored it. It leaves you with this happy magical feeling only Disney can provide. The story was flawless and original. The music was great and Alan Menken's musical score was breathtaking! The voice work was awesome and the characters were well developed! I cannot wait for this to be released on Blu-Ray!

I hope it wins the Oscar for Best Animated picture! As it truly deserves it!

Tangled