Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Tanita BF-683W Body Fat/Body Water Feature, White
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on May 22, 2008
Be wary of Tanita and their warranty claims. The product itself was decent, and fairly accurate, however Tanita is not a company that prides itself in customer service and product support. I used my scale in a normal bathroom environment, and after just 3 months you could see evaporation underneath the screen. I don't know if a gasket had a crack in it, or what the issue might have been, but the unit couldn't withstand the normal humidity of a bathroom. In fact, the unit was a good 20 feet from any active water, like a shower and tub.

I shipped the unit in, and without even so much as a courtesy call, the "customer service manager" returned my unit with a note that my warranty claim was refused, even though I had spoken to someone before about the issue, and said it would be replaced no problem. The customer service manager was nice enough, but said that even though it was well within the boundaries of his discretion, he was going to refuse the claim, because they refuse all like claims regarding evaporation. He even admitted that it happens fairly often.

Stay away.

His recommendation? Buy another Tanita, and not place it in the bathroom. Right.
44 comments|32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 23, 2010
Tanita service is so awful it has prompted me to write my first Amazon review. Like "Texan Hubris," I too had a bad experience with customer service. I own a BF-681W, the previous version of this product, purchased in August of 2006. I didn't use it frequently, and so the original provided batteries corroded slightly and the contacts in the scale for battery power eventually got ruined. I know, my bad.

However, the batteries are contained within a plastic piece that pops out of the back of the metal scale. With a soldering iron, I could have it replaced in two minutes. The problem? Not only did the 800 number included with my original documentation no longer work (it was a recording for someone who wanted to talk to me locally--you know, the adult kind), but the people I did get ahold of using the long-distance number found on the company website had little to offer. Apparently, they don't sell spare parts for any of their consumer scales. So this expensive scale is rendered useless by a $2 part that should be easy to replace.

I might be able to hack out a fix and keep using the scale. I would be very wary of buying any scale from this company. It was nice when it worked, but any little problem and they won't back their product. I WILL NOT buy another scale from them; be careful if you choose to do so.
on June 14, 2007
this product does exactly what it says it will do. it is simple to set up, simplet to program for each user, and gives easily trackable recordable information. i would recommend it as a good value for the money.
on April 3, 2011
I bought this scale to replace an older model from the same manufacturer. The old scale provided weight and body fat data only. The old scale had been in use for about 7 years and it worked very well during that period. I'm in my mid 50's and run 3 days each week. The information provided by the BF-683W scale includes weight, body fat, and body water percentage. I like that fact that this scale provides both water percentage and body fat levels. This information allows me to know when I'm not hydrated properly, and I'm able to monitor the body fat percentage at a more accurate level. The old scale was very dependable and was worth the money spent. I hope this model is just as dependable.
on April 9, 2011
Very good product. The BF accuracy is actually very good in comparison to pinch tests. I am impressed and trust the results I get from it. The tracking feature for readings over time is too much though. Any serious person will track the readings in a chart or spreadsheet for comparison. Just execute well the basic features that customers use often and they will buy the product - and Tanita does it right with this model.
on September 2, 2008
The scale gives very consistent readings and allows for monitoring tendencies. A small drawback is that only the last reading per day is kept in memory.
on November 22, 2011
I've been using this scale for 4 years. I bought it to track my weight and body fat %. In the last year I've lost and gained back 10 lbs twice and now I'm down 14 lbs and counting. In that time my body fat percentage has been a high of 25.4 and a low of 21.7. The high's and lows do not follow weight loss. 10 weeks ago I weighed 182 lbs and my body fat was at 22.7% after loosing 14 lbs and not working out at all (no new muscle mass) it say's I'm at 23.3%. FYI: I weigh myself at the same day/time every time and hydration is always 52 +/-1

Having said that, it appears that measuring body fat via Bioelectrical impedance analysis is not very accurate. This article gave it a C+, better than calipers or BMI scale. But worse than everything else. I'm going to go find a Body Pod and get a accurate measurement. [...]
on December 11, 2007
I liked the product, very user friendly and accurate, the only thing is that it doesnt have a setting that some monitors have, for three levels of your typical activity, sedentary, moderate, very active, which makes a difference on the fat reading. While the fat reading might not be entirely accurate, I had 3 friends who were of different visibly fat levels, fat, average, very fit and the machine showed corresponding fat levels, so the bottom line is when you do go down in fat, the machine's fat reading goes down too, which is important.
on March 12, 2013
I read reviews on more expensive models (incl. Tanita models) and saw feedback that accuracy is hard to come by. But relative direction of BMI was what I was looking for. If this scale's Body Fat measurements were consistent, I would be happy, but they are not. I can confidently say that I am very consistent on my diet and workouts, and my waistline is shrinking (inches) but I can see my Body Fat % jump 2% in the same day (within a couple of hours with no food intake even). Day to day it is all over the map. I may need to spend significantly more money to get some accuracy, or even directional consistency. The weight scale function seems very accurate, so that is good, but I could have achieved that w/o paying for a BF% feature that seems pretty worthless.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 16, 2009
I've onll had this scale for a short time but so far we love it. Its seems to keep accurate info. and is very easy to use. I would recommend this to people serious about weight loss