5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent piece of equipment lacking nothing, January 28, 2002
Greenie (Boulder, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tanita Body Fat Monitor/Scale TBF-622
Scale is very accurate, simple to use and remarkably easy to calibrate for your body type. I managed to get this on sale, but to be honest I would have been happy paying more...
As weight scales go, it's more accurate than the average bathroom unit. Most scales seem to fluctuate anywhere from 3-5 pounds each time you step on them after only a minute.
I was surprised at how accurate the body fat measurement was. I purchased this not expecting a true reading, but rather just to have something that would allow me to see if my fat content was rising, maintaining, or lowering.
Although I have been strongly active for years, I decided in November to make a real commitment towards pushing my athletic ability to the best it could be at my age (31). Part of this was getting my body fat content measured in the tank test, currently the most accurate method used by sports physicians.
My scale arrived in the mail before I my scheduled appointment for the tank test. Would that I had known beforehand how accurate the scale was -- measuring myself only 1 hour before my appointment, the scale gave a reading that was only 0.5% off of the results of my tank test. One hour after getting home, I checked the scale again, this time the scale gave me the same reading.
It should be noted that if you are serious about your fitness, I would still recommend the tank test as you learn a lot about your body's overall composition and have the opportunity to review your results with a physician.
Readout is large enough and easy to read. A friend commented that the readout has no backlight, and although this is true I don't see why I'd want to see my weight and fat percentage in the dark.
The unit also ships with plastic feet that can be mounted on the bottom of the unit for use on carpeting up to 1" thick. For me this was a nice bonus as I prefer to use this scale where my workout equipment is (carpeting), rather than the bathroom.
Overall a fantastic unit and a must-have if you're serious about improving or maintaining your physical conditioning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Well and Priced Right, January 18, 2002
This review is from: Tanita Body Fat Monitor/Scale TBF-622
I was going to buy a $99 Sharper Image body fat scale but did some research and found Tanita invented them and makes the most models (they have about a dozen different ones). This scale appealed to me because it has an "athlete" mode for exceptionally lean people. Also, the reviews on the other Tanita scales (on Amazon and elsewhere on the web) seemed generally better than those for other brands.
This scale reads weight to the nearest 0.2 pounds and body fat to the nearest 0.1%. The scale seems very accurate with weight. Unlike my old scale, I get very repeatable results with this one and it correlates well with the expensive beam type scale at my health club (also unlike my old one).
The body fat feature also works better than I expected. My body fat reads about 12% - 13% in the normal "adult" mode and about 8.5% in the "athlete" mode. The caliper method yields around 10% - 11% so I'm happy with the scale's reading (I'm don't qualify as an "athlete" by Tanita's standards--at least yet).
As you'll read in the manual (and elsewhere) hydration affects the accuracy of electrical body fat measurements. For that reason, you get the highest readings first thing in the morning when you're dehydrated from sleep. For me, it might be 13.5%. You get the lowest readings mid-day when you're well hydrated (for me about 12.0%). Women (or possibly men with much higher body fat?) seem to show a wider fluctuation.
I thought things like having wet feet right out of the shower or a full/empty bladder would affect the accuracy but they don't seem to. Short of drinking a bunch of water for a few hours before (or dehydrating yourself) there's not much you can do to change the body fat readings.
If you use the scale at roughly the same time each day, it's fairly consistent and indeed has been showing my progress with diet and exercise nicely.
There are two buttons on the front edge and you kick one or the other with your toe to turn the scale on and tell it which of two users you are. You have to program in your height, sex, etc. just once. It's easy to set up.
Once you kick the button, it takes 3 seconds or so to "zero" and then you step on. Your weight shows up nearly instantly and then the body fat measurement takes another few seconds. When it has both readings, it alternates back and forth showing them both on the display until it automatically shuts off.
I don't know how long it will last, but for now I'm quite happy with mine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Two thumbs up for TBF-622, October 4, 2002
Simon Waddington (Oakland, California) - See all my reviews
...
Eschewing style for function, and starting a diet I was persuaded by the glowing reviews and a recent price reduction to go with this scale. I'm happy to say I wasn't disappointed.
After two weeks of use I can say this is a very accurate scale. This scale weighs to .2 pound resolution which is close to 0.1 percent of your typical body mass. Because its so accurate even slight movement (swaying, muscle movement) while on the scale can cause some variation hence you can expect to see a +- .2 variation from one weighing to the next. That's not really a problem for me and don't be deterred thinking the scale is inaccurate. If you stand very still you'll see the same value time after time (until you loose or gain weight of your own accord!).
I can't really comment on the body fat measurement since I've never had a third party measurement to compare with. I've experienced about a 5-10% variation either way between successive measurements. I suspect its not getting my feet accurately on the pads or moisture. However that accuracy is within the daily variation you'll see anyway from varying water levels in your body. Just measure at the same time of day and keep a record and you should be able to detect a steady change if you're dieting or doing something else that will change your body fat.
The scale has two kick buttons at the front which allow you to select from two body profiles. The profile includes your height, body type (normal/athletic) and gender. The profile only affects your body fat measurement anyone can wiegh themselves - they just have to know to kick one of the switches first to turn on the scale. After measurements stabalize you can step off the scale and they will flash for several seconds - this allows those vision problems (I can't read the figures without my glasses - but they are plenty big enough to see with them) to stoop down and take a close look.
This scale uses 4 AA batteries (included) so no expensive lithiums to buy and you could even use rechargeables if you really wanted. I've no idea how long they last, I'll update this review if they ever run out.
Unlike the Health-o-meter I've had no problems with tipping on this scale, it does not have separate feet - the base sits directly on the floor.
In short - a functional, well designed and accurate digital scale, well worth the purchase price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Scale: Easy to Use and Accurate, February 21, 2002
This review is from: Tanita Body Fat Monitor/Scale TBF-622
I first purchased the less expensive tanita model without the Athlete mode. I found the body fat results from this model very questionable so I purchased this model instead.
The athelte mode is a must-have for anyone who works out a couple of days a week and is in reasonably good shape. You dont have to be an elite athlete to benefit from the Athlete mode.
In addition to the accurate body fat % and weight recording, this unit has 2 memory buttons, eliminating the need to re-enter you gender and height each time. Don't worry, its easy to program.
A great scale and well worth the extra money for the Athlete mode.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile, April 5, 2003
Redbear52 (Indiana, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tanita Body Fat Monitor/Scale TBF-622
The weight readings seem to be very consistant and accurate. There is considerable, but predictable variation in body fat percentage measurements. The scale uses electrical conductivity of your body to estimate body fat percentage. This will be affected by your hydration status and probably also by vasodilatation and any moisture on your feet. Since one tends to be a little dehydrated in the morning, body fat percentages are consistantly higher in the AM than later in the day. If you check your body fat percentage immmediately after a warm shower, it will read a little lower, probably due to vasodilatation. What all this means is that a single body fat measurement is going to vary up to several absolute percentage points from the true value. If you check readings at the same time of day under similar circumstances, or if you take multiple measurements throughout the day and average them, the results are pretty consistant. I find that body fat percentage in my case varies from about 18.5% to a little over 21% (and hopefully it will continue to drop). I think the scale is most useful for demonstrating a trend in body fat percentage up or down rather than precisely determining an absolute number. I think that is what most people are interested in, and for that purpose I think the scale works fine. I agree that a back lit display would be nice, but it would no doubt reduce battery life time.

5.0 out of 5 stars it's actually FUN to weigh yourself on this scale!, April 22, 2003
This review is from: Tanita Body Fat Monitor/Scale TBF-622
At the hospital where I used to work, we used this Tanita scale in a nationally-funded clinical trial to keep track of medication effects on people's weight and body fat, so you'd better believe it's accurate!
So when my fiance and I decided to try dieting in preparation for our wedding, I decided that this was the scale to get. Even better, it showed up in my gold box that week! What's great about this one is that it also shows you what's going on inside -- your body fat percentage, rather than just what weight you are. I found this encouraging because when you work out and put on muscle, you may put on some weight (because of the extra density of muscle) but this scale lets you know that you're dropping body fat, which is the more important issue.
It's incredibly easy to use, and I like the fact that my fiance and I could enter each of our personal data (male/female, height, athlete/non) into the machine and then personalize the machine for each of us with the two handy buttons on the side. No entering all that extra data every time you get on the scale!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good tool for long range progress, August 21, 2002
Jeffrey M Newland (Rochester, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tanita Body Fat Monitor/Scale TBF-622
I bought this one month ago and I'm confident it has been key to losing 4 pounds of FAT... not just 'muscle juice.' I have 8 more pounds of fat to lose, and then I will start to use this scale to tell me if I'm beefing back up with muscle or fat again. I'm excited about being able to do this, and the scale has made this possible.
I don't know how accurate this scale is compared to other types of fat measurement, but who cares. I am very confident that it measures me (you, anyone) very accurately relative to changes over time. My body looks more cut now - and the scale says it should. Likewise, it will tell me that I'm getting softer long before I can see it visually.
I've found it best to take a daily measurement at night and average that over a five-day period to get a decent measure of progress. Then chart it to see how your lean mass and fat mass are changing relative to one-another. I have a spreadsheet I've developed and I'll send a copy to anyone who wants it. Search me.
One thing that keeps it from getting five stars is that it allows only two settings - normal and athlete. But, according to the manufacturer, the Athlete setting requires a level of activity that only a professional athlete at the height of their season would could actually hit. I occasionally switch mine from normal to athlete to see how my measurement differs, and it differs very significantly. Therefore I know one, or both measurements are not quite the true picture. I just keep mine on normal, though I work out most every day. It's all relative - but I wish they had a "Moderate Athlete" setting that let us regular gym goers get a reading in between the other two. I also don't know exactly how age affects things, but this unit does not take that into account.
Still, I'm very glad I have it, and wouldn't want to fight the battle of the bulge without it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tanita says I am a blob, and I believe it, July 27, 2003
This review is from: Tanita Body Fat Monitor/Scale TBF-622
My other scale was always a good 5+ pounds off from what the doctor's office scales said. Plus, I could rock and lean a certain direction to get it to say whatever I wanted.

So I bought the Tanita as a result of some researching online and reading the reviews here at Amazon.

I am very pleased with the accuracy of the scale. It let me enter my personal data. Height was even to the half-inch (important - there's an extra half-inch to me, and doggone it, I'm gonna get credited for that when it comes to weighing time).

To use the scale, you just bump the button with your toe (there are two buttons for two users), and step on when it's ready (there are instructions on this; don't step on until it's ready). Stand there for a bit while it does its thing, and then climb off. The readings (weight and fat) display for several seconds (good if you can't see your toes while you're on the scale).

The Tanita confirmed I'm a blob, and I trust it. Its readings are consistent. Just be sure you measure your weight/fat at the same time every day. Females, you'll have some fluctuations periodically (pun, yes?), so it's best to record what the readings were and when.

I'm very pleased with this scale. Check out the other reviews - some claim to have had the water-type of body fat analysis in the same day and have found that the scale is very accurate. That's very reassuring.

4.0 out of 5 stars ACCURATE for Weight but OK for Body Fat, February 5, 2003
This review is from: Tanita Body Fat Monitor/Scale TBF-622
I'm very impressed by the weighing scale as it gave me correct information every time I measured the weight.
I'm not sure if I can say the same about the body fat. I checked my body fat 4 times in 3 days since I got this equipment and I got 4 different readings - 18.4, 19, 19.6 and 22.4. I'm not sure which is the right one, but you can guess which one I want to be true reading. I'm not sure if that has to do with my really active workout schedule - 6 days a week and 1.5 hours a day.
I'm an athlete according to the machine (The setup book says anyone who has a resting heart rate of less than 60 should setup his/her profile as athlete). I know my body fat is slightly less than 20, so the machine is close but not accurate.
All in all, for weight measurement I give this machine a 5 and for body fat measurement I give it a 3.

5.0 out of 5 stars I like it!, May 25, 2003
This review is from: Tanita Body Fat Monitor/Scale TBF-622
This has been a good buy. Accurate and easy to use. (One note on the body fat measurement, it only gives consistant readings if you stay well hydrated.)

Tanita Body Fat Monitor/Scale TBF-622