4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Darn Good! But..., February 21, 2011
This review is from: Tanita Um061 Scale With Body Fat Monitor & Body Water Percentage (Electronics)
I was looking for a consistent scale and thought the body fat function might be interesting. I compared the weighing function to my aptmate's scale and since they both read out the same I'm guessing it's fairly accurate. Plus it keeps the same weight if you step off and step on again. It only varies by .2 lbs.
The body fat reading seems reasonable to me, although their chart to tell you what the numbers mean seems way off. If it says I'm 15-17% fat (depending on if I have food in my stomach, lol) and that 21% or under is "underfat" I think there's a problem since I'm already chubby- how fat would I have to be to be "normal"? Plus I remember from high school health way back when that the teacher said 22% was about the upper bounds for females in the age range (it changes if you're older or younger). Soo.. their "normal" of 21% - 30 something seems off.

***EDIT***
After months of using this, I noticed that the body fat inversely correlates to hydration measurements. If it says that I have a greater percentage of water, then the body fat percentage drops. If I have lower hydration %, then the body fat percentage increases. I can't really say that this function is accurate enough for someone who wants to chart fat loss because I've noticed that I can vary about 5% from day to day without my weight changing substantially (1-2 lbs maybe). Because of that, I've changed my rating from 5 stars to 4 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Scale!!!, November 23, 2008
This scale is a great product. It is pretty accurate. I love it. It lets me know when I am not drinking enough water. Awesome buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars works good!, July 3, 2008
These scales are consistent and they agree with my doctors scales.
My husband and I are using them to keep track of body fat content.
I would recommend these scales to anyone who is considering purchasing a set for their home. I also think these would be a great benefit for a spa or gym.

5.0 out of 5 stars Body Monitor Exam, June 25, 2010
The Tanita scale is a very good product. You must realize that it can be fooled as it operates on very simple principles. That being said, if used as intended, you can get a daily accurate account of how you're doing. It's like standing in front of St. Peter at the golden gates: Why lie? Tell the truth and deal with it. He'll know anyway. The scale tells you exactly how you're doing; that way you can deal with it and improve. I like the speed of the scale's diagnostics. Interesting principles on how it measures. Makes you think about what you intake and how it affects your body. Tried different things that I knew the exact weight of from gram scales and very accurate laboratory scales. Tanita had it right every time. Only thing to fault is that my tone beeper quit working. For me that's no problem: I hated that feature anyway. Battery life is good and I like that it repeats three times so I can see it, record it, and then it's off to save the batteries. Like I said: Very good product, well constructed, well thought out, and very accurate. "Nuff said.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great scale, very happy!, February 15, 2011
I've had the scale for about a month now and love it!! It only has two pre-set memory slots but that works for me. I love knowing and recording my body fat and water %. Since getting the scale, I have lost 6 pounds (along with weight watchers point system help and some cardio!).... can't give the scale credit for everything! Good buy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Accurate but not intuitive, April 30, 2012
So far this scale seems pretty repeatable, looks nice and works. I really like it. It isn't hard to use but not the easier either. I can turn it on and off and select programs with my toes but larger buttons would make this easier, some people have to bend over and use their fingers. The operation isn't complicated but for something like a scale I feel you shouldn't have to read the instructions to figure it out.

Pros: Accuracy, aesthetics

Cons: Ease to turn on, size of buttons, not intuitive

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfect, December 15, 2012
After reading about others' experiences with failed digital scales, I decided to wait a bit before producting a review. I have now had this scale for several months. It works perfectly and appears to be very accurate, as verified with two other scales. Note: When you first turn it on, wait just a few seconds after the zero appears on the screen before stepping on it. If you step on it too soon, it will give a wildly innacurate reading, because it has not finished setting the tare weight. I believe this has led to some people believing their product was defective when it really wasn't.

5.0 out of 5 stars really neat scale, December 28, 2009
sorry I cannot be much help as it was given as a gift. so far I have not heard how they like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tanita UM061 hits the mark, September 25, 2007
H. P. Gilman (Wellington New Zealand) - See all my reviews
The unit arrived at the delivery date well before I did and performs to my full expectations. Well done.

Rate and Discover Movies