Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on January 1, 2014
I heard that the Tao is a must-read book for the seeker, and purchased this book on Kindle some months ago. This was my first introduction to the Tao Te Ching and I found that Dennis Waller's translation reads beautifully, like a poem - with very clear messages. The messages were exactly what I needed to learn at the time, and I am very grateful to the man who recommended the Tao to me.
I was wondering how authentic this particular translation was, so I purchased another translation, by a Chinese authority on the Tao – Hua Ching Ni. I found the Hua Ching Ni book to have essentially the same message, though the words are very different. In some cases, the Waller translation elaborates a bit more, I believe to clarify items that the native Chinese might understand more intuitively.
Here is a randomly chosen example, from Verse 62:

Waller:
If someone is lost, offer fine words to awaken him, offer good deeds to him, repay his unkindness with kindness. Do not discard the man but do discard his evil wayward ways. Let your gift to him be living in the way of the Tao.
Therefore on the day a leader is elected, do not offer your expertise or wealth to him. Rather help him by staying in the way of the Tao and teach him the way of the Tao. Let your way serve as an example for him to follow.

Hua Ching Ni:
Good words will find their market. Good deeds may be presented as a gift to another. Though a person has strayed from the right path, the all-encompassing subtle essence of the universe will never abandon him.
Thus, at the enthronement of an emperor, or the appointment of the three highest ministers of the empire, rather than present them with discs of jade and teams of fine horses, show them the priceless subtle way of the universe.

Summary: I highly recommend the Dennis Waller translation for native English readers. Easy to understand for the Western world, and the message, though not the words, is pure Tao.
*That said, I will also give the Hua Ching Ni translation 5 stars.
on December 18, 2012
A beautiful, eloquent, subtle and profound translation of the Tao Te Ching. Since being introduced to the Tao Te Ching in high school I have read 5-6 translations, this one by Dennis Waller is really the best of the best. This book is a great "way" to introduce the Tao to someone new, to ancient Chinese philosophy. It able to convey purity and wisdom with such humbleness and light. If you have never read Lao Tzu's classic, this is the one to get.
on January 7, 2013
I was first exposed to the Tao Te Ching many years ago when I was in college and frankly I couldn't get into it. I think it was perhaps my youth and immaturity. After reading another of Dennis Waller's books I thought I would give this translation a try. I really loved reading his translation of these Chinese prose poems. I am not a Taoist. But I find the statements and contradictions in each verse to be both beautiful and thought-provoking. My way of using this book is to pick a verse, read it several times and then meditate on the verse. This gives my meditation a focus which helps me much more than the "emptying of the mind" approach. It is indeed relaxing. But some of the verses also seem to stimulate my creativity. Here is one of my favorite verses:

"The Thirty spokes connect at the center of the wheel at the hub
It is within the center of this emptiness of the hub that makes the wheel useful
When shaping clay it is the emptiness that creates the vase
It is in the emptiness that makes it useful
Rooms are made to have doors and windows
The usefulness of the room depends on what's not there
Without a door a room cannot be entered. Without a window there is no light.
The usefulness of what exists depends on what doesn't exist.
Such is the essence of non-existence."

I very much enjoyed this translation and would recommend it to other readers.
on October 9, 2012
The Tao Te Ching is one of those things that have interested me for a while. I read a translation of it many years ago, and have used many of its says in my twitter posts. I pick this one up when I saw it offered here, and really liked it. These sayings and teaching can apply to anyone with any belief system. They are not put in poetry form, which appealed to me, and you don't have to read the whole book to get something out of it. Even a little of it can help you gain insights. Well worth your time and money.
on September 25, 2013
I always think 'Truth / Tao' is just as simple as it is existed. This book is one without extra - just a direct translation. After all, an explained Tao is not an original Tao. Everybody have different perception.

This book is very easy to read and to understand like drawing a sketch in black and white, no touching up nor coloring, reflecting the most original of itself. Dennis Waller has used simple examples to explain what is difficult to understand or abstracting.

"five color blind the eyes
five sounds deafen the ears
five flavors deaden the taste
excessive desires will madden the mind
excessive possessions preoccupy the mind with fear
the more your desire, the more you'll be discontented from what you have
the Sage fills his belly, not his eyes
the Sage satisfies his inner desires with what cannot be seen, not with the external temptation of the world"
on January 25, 2013
Tao is a fantastic philosophy because it's so easy to understand. Reading this book brought back memories of my days in school searching the book stacks through dusty old translations of Lao Tzu. It's an amazing world we live in where for $0.99 you can have a book of 2400 year wisdom literally sitting in your pocket. The translation is clean and uninterrupted and decorated with beautiful imagery. Thank you Dennis Waller. "If you have accumulated a good store of virtue then nothing is impossible"- Lao Tzu
on April 7, 2014
"All that is on the earth residing under the Heavens that is beautiful is only beautiful because of the ugliness that coexists with the beautiful..." This statement alone is an eloquent, profound translation of the Tao Te Ching as presented by Author Waller. Should one be seeking, this presentation of the Tao Te Ching will lead you to a yet a greater path of peaceful enlightenment. A cover to cover exposition of Eastern Spiritualism, remarkably informative that will make one consider their own thoughts and actions.

“The words cannot describe the meaning, they can only point one in the direction.” The text of this rendition directs the seeker to connect with a meaning of life that can never be communicated through our human language. And so it is with my words attempting to paint for another the book’s content. My words are insufficient. One must purchase the book to find their own path to spiritual enlightenment. It is a call to a calmer more peaceful life how can one not respond?

Once again Author Waller delivers quality work; a master at spiritual enlightenment and at sketching for one’s mind a reflection of what is above, so it is below; we can change our outer image by changing our inner image. Get ready, Get set, GO !

Beautifully presented, a 5 star work.
on December 8, 2013
Reading this translation book of the Tao Te Ching Lao Tzu, by Dennis Waller was like taking a wonderful walk down memory lane. I have had to take many philosophy classes in my education, and Chinese philosophy was always my favorite. One of things that I enjoy doing with this book on my tablet is choosing a Verse to focus on for the day....I start my day reading: "When your work is done, then retire," and I am reminded to not overwork on that day.
I especially enjoyed the section after Verse 81 when the explanations of the verses are given in a very understandable fashion. "In order to let go, we must first learn to trust." This is a quote I often use in Psychotherapy with my clients. I didn't remember that it had come from the Tao. I would love to meet the author as his explanations of the Tao are so poignant and moving. "Even when the other people don't see the divine perfection, you will. You'll see the many faces of God in everyone you meet." I saw the face of God several times in the pages of this book. Thanks again, Dennis for reminding me to simplify, not judge, accept, and step away from my ego. Great book, which I highly recommend. Dr. Richard L. Travis
on January 25, 2013
Once again Dennis Waller delivers quality work. The translation of Lao Tzu's "Tao Te Ching" is beautifully presented and a must buy for anyone who enjoys ancient eastern philosophy. Even though the Tao Te Ching says "The Sage satisfies his inner desires with what cannot be seen or heard" I would have to disagree because this book ought to be seen.
on December 15, 2012
In this day and age we are always so stressed with our lives, always worried about what others think, and whether or not we are achieving enough. We're expected by society to have a stable relationship and family life and a successful career etc. The pressure from friends, family and society (and ourselves!) can be enormous and overwhelming at times. It's time we put some of those pressures aside and realize that we are placing far to much importance on them - and it may be damaging our mental and physical health!

Tao Te Ching teaches you how to achieve that inner peace and how to free yourself from the shackles of the world, and love yourself for who you really are, and to appreciate the simple pleasures in life. You've got to learn to love yourself and not be too hard on yourself.

I use to succumb to that pressure and let it depress me and get me down - until I discovered Dennis Waller's excellent translations of ancient eastern philosophies, for example "Hsin Hsin Ming", "Nagarjuna's Tree of Wisdom" and of course "Tao Te Ching". I've really absorbed the overall message and my life hasn't been the same since - I've really turned a new leaf and feel much happier, more contented and relaxed with myself and life in general. My family and friends have noticed the difference, and I'm so enthused about it, I am encouraging them to do the same with their lives.

It is so important that these translations be available to us in the West - Dennis Waller's translations are flawless and delivered to us with great clarity, while at the same time retaining the profound meaning and messages of the original texts, and as a result we are able to learn from these ancient teachings of wisdom. It really is astonishing that something so profound is conveyed to us in the form of something as mundane as a kindle ebook. I really can't recommend all the works of this author highly enough!!!!