5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book written by the legend

Published on March 29, 2003 by nitro_1976

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book written by the legend, December 16, 1999
Jakey D (Central New Jersey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tao of Jeet Kune Do (Paperback)
Once I picked up this book, I couldn't put it down. Bruce Lee's philosophy and method of training is one of the best. The book helps you understand the art of Jeet Kune Do and the martial artist philosophy as well. Bruce explains how important it is to control your opponent and explains the techniques on how to do it, by proper timing, speed and technique. It is a must have in any martial artist's personal library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely a MUST have for anyone - Martial artist or NOT!, February 16, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Tao of Jeet Kune Do (Paperback)
I picked this book up from the local bookstore after sustaining a severe injury to my knee. I previously had not taken any real formal martial arts training or done any reading on the subject, however I always liked all of the funky stuff that these guys like Jackie Chan have done on the big screen. Anyways, while recovering I studied this book intensely and within the week I was so inspired to start training with what I had learned that I tossed the crutches aside and began walking. Well, pretty soon I was working to perfection all of the techniques and skills that I had learned plus accumulated several other martial arts books on other styles and I even started training like Bruce Lee!
To this day I wake up at 5:00 am every morning and work on flexiblity and abdominals before I go to school and I feel great! I recently purchased a punching bag to work on applying power to all my techniques as well!
In closing I would say that by reading this book it started a whole revolution in my life, and changed the way that I look at any situation in life. So I can only hope that it does for everyone else what it did for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, November 9, 2000
This review is from: Tao of Jeet Kune Do (Paperback)
I had the opportunity to see Bruce Lee in action at an East Coast karate tournament in 1969. He wasn't competing but was there as a celebrity guest.
I stood with others at the back of the tournament hall and listened in awe as he talked about having just finished filming Marlow and his plans to leave soon for Hong Kong to begin filming a movie.
Later, I watched him warm-up a great tournament fighter named Luis Delgado. Lee's speed was absolutely incredible. His backfist was nearly imperceptible and his footwork for closing the gap was a blur.
What a loss to the martial arts world that he left us so soon. But we still have this book of his notes. It a wonderful bible, if you will, that will make any martial artist look at his own training to see how some of Lee's ideas can fit.
There will always be the Jackie Chans and Jet Lis who will come along and dazzle us with their screen antics. But Bruce Lee was a seeker of knowledge, a true master of the fighting arts and philosophy. Some of it is in this wonderful book.
As an author of 13 books on the martial arts, I highly recommend this book for every MA library.

5.0 out of 5 stars There is no better book on martial arts philosphy, August 2, 2003
Alexander E. Paulsen "AlexP" (Jacksonville, Fl United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tao of Jeet Kune Do (Paperback)
I have had my copy of this book for many years. I often refer to sections of it for advice and inspiration.
While Lee's views on the arts may be controversial, I think that anyone who has studied the arts seriously [ this excludes the black belt factories ) can appreciate the philosophical tone of the work. Too many of us get too into dictated technique and form as well as tradition to appreciate Lee's theories.
Jeet Kune Do is the style that is not a style. One that is infinitely flexible and adaptable to the individual and the situation.
I have been a Bruce Lee fan for 30 years and while I have never had the honor of meeting him or personally seeing him in form, I have been inspired and awed by him.
The Tao of Jeet Kune Do is an inspired and original work and to me embodies the essense of the true martial artist.
They are called the "arts" for a reason. How poor would other arts be if all of the artists merely copied others - I don't mean inspired by others but COPIED others. By and large that is what the so-called kwoons teach these days.One way and one way only, for $$$$$ we guarantee a black belt in 14 months.
Arts by definition are intensly personal and open for interpretation. How rich would the world of culture be today if Michealangelo merely copied Davinci or Monet was discouraged to explore impressionism saying it was not "true art"?
Lee breaks new ground and we who study him are the richer for it.
I recommend this book to any one with a serious interest in the martial arts. Those of you unfortunates stuck in black belt factories please study this book; it will open a new world for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars ESSENTIAL!, September 14, 2000
Grant Meredith (ballarat, victoria Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tao of Jeet Kune Do (Paperback)
If you are a Bruce Lee fan, interested in Martial Arts, A Jeet Kune Do student or be that a student of any Martial Art then this book is essential to you. This represents the inner workings and theories of Bruce Lee as he was developing Jeet Kune Do. Sure you can not learn an art form from a book but a book can inspire a prospective student, help guide a beginner and add to the knowledge of someone more experienced. If you are a serious student then read this book. It covers all areas of Bruce's personal training including warm-up techniques and fitness training.The journey then continues onto notes about combat strategies (tools, preparations, mobility and attacks). As I have previously said buy this book! If you like Martial Arts, Bruce Lee or just serious training then buy this Book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tao of Jeet Kune Do, November 6, 1999
Foo-Foo (United States of America) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tao of Jeet Kune Do (Paperback)
Bruce Lee's Tao of Jeet Kune Do is a testament to both Bruce Lee's open mindedness as a martial artist, and his wisdom, in forging such a concept of Jeet Kune Do is a time when few Westerners had ever heard of, much less knew, anything about the martial arts in any serious form. Tao of Jeet Kune Do is essentially the Bible of the contemporary martial artist, and will live on as being truly on of the greatest martial arts philosophies of all time.

5.0 out of 5 stars worth reading and pondering, April 24, 2003
This review is from: Tao of Jeet Kune Do (Paperback)
Bruce Lee is absolutely the best martial artist on the planet. During his career of being a martial artist, nobody has ever knocked him down. Usually after their challenges, they would become his students -- Chuck Norris is the most famous one. Once when he was challenged by 15 Thai boxers, he knocked them all down. How could that be? This book is a nice guide to his philosophy.
The book itself is not perfect as he did not really finish it, but later it was compiled by his friend and his wife. Just like many Chinese marital artists, his work is also kind of unfinished, but that's because Chinese martial artists usualy don't think the art is "speakable." However, in contrast to many other books, this one is still very worth reading and pondering, and kind of easy.
The drawings themselves have helped me very much when I was studying martial arts. Why? No redundancy!!
His art can be characterized by "economical, really quick, and no chance to fight back." Usually, his opponent would feel like he has three legs or several fists. Chinese called him "Three-leg Lee." He told his student to feel and react but not to think about how to do it. The methods are well-described in this book and some others.
His philosophy can be simplified by saying that he cut off all redundancy hidden in the sequences he learned in China and from his friends in the US.
Not only the art, but also the philosophy is also an important thing that we can learn from his work.
Anway, if you buy only one book about his art, this is the one.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE FORMLESS FORM, October 21, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Tao of Jeet Kune Do (Paperback)
The book is the mental bible of martial arts with a lot of technique added. For the people that are commenting about Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and JKD you truly don't understand the book. I suggest you read it again. TO FIND WHAT IS USEFUL! Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is great however there is now JEET KUNE DO GROUNDFIGHTING. So Jeet Kune Do students will be well equipped on the ground. Whatever you find useful, whether it is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu or any technique from any art. This book is the pathway to success. The Book Jeet Kune Do, A New Era, Ground fighting and counters to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is also available on Amazon.com

5.0 out of 5 stars THE definitive signpost on the Road to Mastery, July 9, 1999
This review is from: Tao of Jeet Kune Do (Paperback)
Bruce Lee's commentaries on the Martial Arts is indispensable. Realizing that this book was complied from his notes after his untimely death, I can forgive the hodge-podge fashion the book is formatted in. He never intended for this to be published. That said, one cannot ignore the level of mastery he had attained, or ignore his advice. Bruce was an accomplished screen fighter, yes, but what is often overlooked is his level of street-fighting competency. EVERY martial artist he EVER sparred with, trained with, or associated with label him as the greatest ever (even with his bad back) for a reason. If you cannot grasp the level of expertise portrayed in this book, read some others, keep practicing, and re-read it often. Eventually, it will transform the way that you think, feel, and fight. Quite simply the BEST book ever written. Not simply because of his knowledge. Even in spite of the haphazard fashion the information is conveyed in. Bruce Lee KNEW what worked and what didn't FOR HIM, and points "The finger to the moon" for you to find your own truth, using no-nonsense, real world information. Pass up this book, and I guarantee, you will lose to someone who did not.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a matter of taste, March 29, 2003
"nitro_1976" (the Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tao of Jeet Kune Do (Paperback)
If you want to get inside Lee's head and see JKD through his eyes, this is a good book. The bad news is, the info is scattered all over the place, the illustrations are often quite unclear, and a lot of text is repeated in his other smaller books (Skill in techniques for example). If you're experienced in martial arts you may find a lot of useful things, about feinting and speed. If you're not, go practice at your local martial arts school, THEN buy the book. I wasn't really dissapointed with the book cause Lee never got to actually finishing it. As long as you look at it as a collection of ideas about what JKD is according to Lee, then it's a good book.

Tao of Jeet Kune Do
Tao of Jeet Kune Do by Bruce Lee (Paperback - October 1, 1975)
Used & New from: $4.43