Industrial Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon David Bowie egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

Format: Audio CassetteChange

on December 22, 2000
This English translation of this venerable text is by far my favorite to read, think about and act on. Other translations have never quite satisfied my curiosity. Although I am well educated, some translations are merely baffling. Stephen Mitchell does a fine job of bringing the Tao Te Ching to a single language westerner such as myself. As a Christian, I find this text to be a compatible and valuable supplement to my spiritual reading.
on November 23, 2015
I was curious about Tao after seeing some comments indicating some compatibility with Buddhist teachings. While there may be some overlap, this struck me as essentially a guide for how to be the optimal Chinese citizen; putting the good of the greater population ahead of personal gain. Also, the Kindle version of this does not portray well, some verses are centered, some aren't and occasionally line breaks are in odd spots.
on January 16, 2014
I was amazed to discover how much I enjoyed the philosophies of this book. Basically boils down to "let it be", but says that 100 different ways. If your a person who feels that without your intervention the world would be chaos, then the philosophies of this book are likely not for you. If your okay with the idea that the world could function just fine with or without you, then it may be worth a look.
on June 11, 2014
I use this as my go to graduation gift. I first encountered the form properly just after high school and it continues to be a central object that I try to orbit. This is one of those ideas that everyone should be exposed to so that they can use or not as they see fit. As the book would be the first to say, this is simple advice. Nothing forced. The message isn't True. But I wouldn't say it's false.
on September 11, 2015
Fantastic collection of proverbs. I am old school, not anti-equality however, so the use of she was distracting for me in that it isn't how the old ways were, they used he to refer to humankind, not gender. There is great wisdom in these words yet the problem the Zen master seeks to answer is found in Jesus Christ. He is the Way, the Truth and Life; the Tao and Master. (John 14:6)
on October 22, 2015
A friend and my acupuncturist told me I needed to learn how to "let go" more. So I bought this to listen in the car. It helps. There are parts I do not get yet, but it is a guide on how to live life, calmly and present to those we love. And to love ourselves. It's thousands of years old and known the world around, so there must be something here. Good idea for anyone.
on May 7, 2015
I purchased different interpretations of this book. I believe Stephen Mitchell's interpretation is the most straight-forward, allowing me to consider my own reactions to each section. Many of the interpretations of other authors of this book seemed to be tainted by their personal beliefs or values, which I considered frustrating and annoying obstacles to getting to the text.
on December 16, 2005
I found the book in audio form first (read by the author), by accident, when I was working at a demeaning factory job, seeing first-hand the real, impoverishing results of a market-driven economy. I was also a member of a very strong Christian church at the time, and had been for years, having served a mission for that church. Quite simply, the philosophy set forth in this book broke the chains of blood and subservience with which I felt bound by the "Christian" experiences I had had throughout my life. The text, reinterpreted as Mitchell says, helped me see into the soul of Taoism, while also inspiring me to dig into other literal translations, and from there a step-by-step discovery of the Taoist texts that followed Lao-Tsu's little gem of humanity and compassion.
on August 31, 2015
This is one of my favorite translations of Tao Te Ching and probably the one I read the most. If you're new to Tao it's very accessible. If you're familiar with it this one will get you thinking about it in new ways.

I strongly recommend reading through the notes that go with each chapter. There are some gems for contemplation and study back there.
on December 11, 2012
This translation of the "Tao Te Ching" is by far the most understandable for Western eyes. As a student, I can say without a doubt that after reading this version I actually understood not only the words, but for the first time I understood the meaning behind the words.

If your looking for a little enlightenment, I can't recommend this book enough!