on October 17, 2012
So I have to say that I'm surprised with the quality of this item. I could have gotten a cheaper costing cam for my rear plate but wanted a solid metal plate ring. It blends in well with the truck and works great so far. I would recommend this and already have. Waterproof, night vision, solid, looks good and reasonable price. I paired it with a 4.3" monitor and a 25' high quality video cable and created a very solid and stable backup camera system for less then $75. I do have to say that I soldered the reverse light connection and ground connection and took my time following the factory harness up to the front of the truck. I also drilled thru the plate with a 3/4" bit and put a rubber grommet on the plate to protect the wires. I then drilled thru the plastic under the plate with a 3/4" bit. This lets the video and power connection go straight out the back of the camera. No wires are visible when you look at the camera and plate ring. I installed this on a 2012 Ford F150 XLT Screw. I have been using it for about a week now in FL and it has been rained on like I can't even tell you. No ill effects yet...........Time will tell. Good luck and I hope this helps.
Robb
review image review image
2323 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This license plate camera is made to last. It is made of cast zinc and painted with a nice thick coating of black paint. I was shocked at how heavy and rugged this license plate bracket is. This is what you need on your car or truck so it will hold up in bad weather. The camera features 8 IR LEDs to help light your way even in the darkest night so you can see in the daytime or nighttime. Don't forget you also have your backup lights and taillights to help push away the darkness.

The camera is a color camera and it has a 170 degree side to side viewing angle which is very good and it also has a 120 degree vertical viewing angle. Two set screws hold the camera in place and if you loosen them you can adjust the camera height to get the best viewing angle for the height of your vehicle. There is a supplied Allen wrench to loosen and tighten these screws. The video image has an electronic grid image on the video you see. It is made up of lines that are drawn in a trapezoid shape that indicates the distance to objects behind your car. Each grid line represents about 3 feet.

The license plate camera is rated to IP67 which means it is submersible to 1 meter (3 feet of water) for about one hour without damaging the unit. The unit comes with a wiring harness that allows you to connect it to the rear back up light power wiring so the camera is only on when you are backing up. It also has an RCA type video jack cable (20 feet long) and after you wire the harness to your monitor wiring then wrap the jack with electrical tape to securely hold it plugged in and to keep the connection dry.

The unit comes with a brief instruction manual and it shows the basic wiring to wire this up. It is nice that the cables that plug into the license plate holder already have connectors installed and they are color coded. (Please see my video) I rate this item as a 5 star product. There are less expensive backup cameras out there but they do not compare to the quality of this one!

I was supplied a sample for test and evaluation and I promised to provide a fair and honest review.
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 1, 2014
I love this thing! For the money, it's very clear and easy to install and it's very durable all-metal design is a plus. To make it easier, I used some Posi-Taps (no cutting, splicing or stripping wires at all!), and tapped into the reverse light, routed the wire and hooked it into the rearview mirror/monitor. Once you get it angled correctly (preference) it works like a charm and also works very well at night! I would highly recommend this!
on May 9, 2013
The picture this license plate camera provides is decent, not great. It didn't include any hex head bolts; the license plate frame has hex head provisions in it so as to make it more secure. Also, the wires from your splice point to the camera were so tiny as to be difficult to work with. The connection they provide from the license plate to the monitor was good quality and decent length.
I've used the Boyo License plate camera in the past and it included all good quality components, had better picture quality, included black hex head bolts but it was three times the price. So, for the money this isn't that bad.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 15, 2014
I just finished installing this on my 2010 Chevy Avalanche. So far it has been working great and the color picture is nice and clear. Haven't had issues with daylight driving, night time driving or driving in the rain. The camera has eight inferred LEDs for night use, which is more than adequate. The camera angle is also wide enough to see on both sides of the vehicle without issues. The parking guide lines are a nice touch as well.

How clear the video is will depend on the quality of the monitor. You don't need to have an HD monitor but it will add sharpness to the video, mine isn't HD and the video output is still pretty clear. If you don't have a video monitor yet I would recommend going with a 6" to 7" monitor, not too big for the dash and adequate enough for the camera feed.

The license plate frame is really strong and made of sold zinc and painted black. It does have some weight to it but will seems like it will stand up nicely to the elements. The camera and license frame are two separate pieces with the camera screwed into the frame. The camera sticks out by about 1 1/2 inches from the frame. I would have preferred if the camera could have been a little bit more flush with the frame so it blended in more but the current design still works.

For installation I was able to use the included power and video cables that were included with the product. For power to the camera I tied it to my back headlight bulb. I used the bulb socket for each lead for the camera power wire, which makes the connection more secure and less of a hassle to install. The video cable was ran to my inside video unit, this took more time due to the dress up and distance. I read some reviews about others sealing the connections with clear silicone so I did the same thing, the idea makes sense. This should help keep the connections more secure and keep moisture out.

I would recommend this camera to anyone looking to install an aftermarket backup camera to their vehicle. Installation is straight forward and can be done in a day, mine took roughly 3 hours. The installation also doesn't require drastically altering your vehicle. For the price it is a nice enhancement to my vehicle and makes backing up a lot easier.

I was provided a sample product for review and the review provided is my own.
on November 22, 2013
To start off with this review is actually of two products, the Magellan 1700LM with back up camera and TaoTronics TT-CL17 back-up Camera.

I have a 2010 F150 and because of it's size I decided to get a back up camera. As I was in need of a new GPS I looked around for combination units. These are pretty much limited to Garmin, Magellan and 4UCAM (Generic Model). The Garmin is significantly more expensive than the Magellan but does have some additional features such as Bluetooth (Which I had no need for)

Pros on the 1700

Very nice big screen with good resolution
Good mounting system with integration of the wireless receiver for the back up camera
Simple menus, thought limited features, for GPS function
Simple to use PC software for system and map updates
All cables etc. are included
Very good wireless transmitter and receiver.
Switches automatically to camera mode when you put vehicle in reverse.
Lifetime Map updates

Cons with 1700

The downloaded manual does not reflect the latest version of the software, some screens are different
The back up camera is not very good, no grid lines and it is not infrared so it is useless at night.

This brings me to the TaoTronics ($49.99) camera. After doing some additional research I decided to try a different camera to see if I could improve the night visibility. Even thought the TaoTronincs is designed for a hard wired use it works flawlessly with the Magellan wireless transmitter and receiver. The only "custom" things you need to do is hard wire the 12 Volt directly to the camera and obtain a female/female RCA connecter for the video feed. You may want to purchase a shorter video cable as the supplied one is very long.

Pros on TaoTronics

Good gridlines
Very good resolution
Has built in infrared LED bulbs for night vision.
Looks pretty good for a license plate camera
Appears to be of excellent quality.

Cons on TaoTronics

None I can think of

Installation on the F150 was very easy and involved no more than removing the taillight assembly (outlined in the Ford owners manual), running the camera wires from the camera to the video transmitter, wiring the 12 volt to you back up lights, securing the wiring beneath the vehicle with some tie wraps, and reassembling. It took me 30 minutes including adjusting the camera. I also built a mount for the GPS screen out of PVC pipe fittings which mounts in the center console cup holder. The total cost for this was ~ $10 at Home Depot.

A couple of suggestions

While you have the tail light out install an LED back up bulb (921) they are way brighter than the stock bulb. Instead of taping over the cable connections use heat shrink as it is more durable and water resistant.

In summary the 1700 with the TaTronics camera is a pretty nice solution for a reasonable priced GPS/Back up camera combo.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 10, 2014
This a nice heavy metal frame that mounted easily on my license plate and still allowed month/ year registration stickers to be seen. I have it hooked up with a wireless setup as it is on a pickup truck, but it has done well in recent snow, icing, road salts, heavy rain and mud. I would definitely buy again.
on November 5, 2013
Camera is OK, definitely not a great image. I could barely recognize my own driveway. I guess you can't expect more for the money. Manufacturer had contacted me after I posted my review in November and promised to replace their product, once updated. Update is expected to happen in December. My review will follow.
Review update 1: It is almost end of January and image quality worsened after the three month of use, I am still waiting to be contacted by manufacturer.
Review update 2: I received the camera replacement, it is not updated version but manufacturer is trying to resolve the issue. Image quality improved substantially.
Good customer service!
on April 29, 2014
This is a really great product I went back and forth looking at all the overwhelming options for back up camera's on amazon and I finally decided this item was the best choice for my need's I wanted night vision / quality pictire, built in plate frame, distance lines, classy looking chrome and I have to say this met all my needs ! It really does give a great picture at night that was the big test for me and it passed with flying colors! I would suggest this to anyone looking for a great price and study unit!

J
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 9, 2013
I installed it on my truck with a Magellan 9955 Lm wireless due to the old one craped out on me after a year (from Magellan) took the chance and it worked fine the IR lights for night no difference looks nice it is metal nice and heavy
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations