on October 17, 2012
So I have to say that I'm surprised with the quality of this item. I could have gotten a cheaper costing cam for my rear plate but wanted a solid metal plate ring. It blends in well with the truck and works great so far. I would recommend this and already have. Waterproof, night vision, solid, looks good and reasonable price. I paired it with a 4.3" monitor and a 25' high quality video cable and created a very solid and stable backup camera system for less then $75. I do have to say that I soldered the reverse light connection and ground connection and took my time following the factory harness up to the front of the truck. I also drilled thru the plate with a 3/4" bit and put a rubber grommet on the plate to protect the wires. I then drilled thru the plastic under the plate with a 3/4" bit. This lets the video and power connection go straight out the back of the camera. No wires are visible when you look at the camera and plate ring. I installed this on a 2012 Ford F150 XLT Screw. I have been using it for about a week now in FL and it has been rained on like I can't even tell you. No ill effects yet...........Time will tell. Good luck and I hope this helps.
Robb
review image review image
2323 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 23, 2014
This is a great rear-view camera. It works exactly as expected. The video is pretty good even at night. I bought my first one to put on the minivan. I liked it so much that I bought the second one to put on my wife's car.

Being an electrical engineer, I'd like to make the following suggestions to the manufacturer: (1) change the wiring plugs to something smaller so that the user doesn't need to drill big holes to feed the wire through the trunk lid or lift gate (assuming drilling is necessary), and (2) assemble the camera such that the adjustment screws are facing down, not up as shipped, to prevent water and salt from gathering there (this can be changed by reinstalling the fastener plate on the back side of the camera).
on April 28, 2014
Decent looking product, owned less than 6 months. Seen water maybe a dozen times. Had a nice picture to it. I was backing up today and the display is completely washed out, like a camera pointing at the sun.

Thought it could be water inside from a previous car wash, and nope it's dry. Connections are fine. Also another annoying bit was the set screws are rusting.

Selected the return button on my order history and it says not allowed. Hopefully the seller will send a replacement. This didn't even last a complete oil change for me.

Revised to add:
Seller contacted me immediately and sent replacement the following day after this review. Came quick and everything works great. 5 stars for customer service and 4 stars on the product now. Thanks again for the excellent CS.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This license plate camera is made to last. It is made of cast zinc and painted with a nice thick coating of black paint. I was shocked at how heavy and rugged this license plate bracket is. This is what you need on your car or truck so it will hold up in bad weather. The camera features 8 IR LEDs to help light your way even in the darkest night so you can see in the daytime or nighttime. Don't forget you also have your backup lights and taillights to help push away the darkness.

The camera is a color camera and it has a 170 degree side to side viewing angle which is very good and it also has a 120 degree vertical viewing angle. Two set screws hold the camera in place and if you loosen them you can adjust the camera height to get the best viewing angle for the height of your vehicle. There is a supplied Allen wrench to loosen and tighten these screws. The video image has an electronic grid image on the video you see. It is made up of lines that are drawn in a trapezoid shape that indicates the distance to objects behind your car. Each grid line represents about 3 feet.

The license plate camera is rated to IP67 which means it is submersible to 1 meter (3 feet of water) for about one hour without damaging the unit. The unit comes with a wiring harness that allows you to connect it to the rear back up light power wiring so the camera is only on when you are backing up. It also has an RCA type video jack cable (20 feet long) and after you wire the harness to your monitor wiring then wrap the jack with electrical tape to securely hold it plugged in and to keep the connection dry.

The unit comes with a brief instruction manual and it shows the basic wiring to wire this up. It is nice that the cables that plug into the license plate holder already have connectors installed and they are color coded. (Please see my video) I rate this item as a 5 star product. There are less expensive backup cameras out there but they do not compare to the quality of this one!

I was supplied a sample for test and evaluation and I promised to provide a fair and honest review.
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 1, 2014
I love this thing! For the money, it's very clear and easy to install and it's very durable all-metal design is a plus. To make it easier, I used some Posi-Taps (no cutting, splicing or stripping wires at all!), and tapped into the reverse light, routed the wire and hooked it into the rearview mirror/monitor. Once you get it angled correctly (preference) it works like a charm and also works very well at night! I would highly recommend this!
on August 7, 2014
It's a nice camera, but it isn't 170 degree view. More like 130 degree. I did have to take the camera/mounting bracket apart and flip the camera over, then cut a slot for the wire to exit out of the top. I wanted the adjustment screws on the bottom, and the hole to run the wire on the top. I have it installed in a 2014 Ram 1500 4 x 4 Crew Cab. It is set up so that I can see the ball on my hitch (red line) and the yellow line is at 3 feet out, the first green line is at 4 feet, and the last green line is at 5 feet. I am using it with an ePathChina 4.3 inch video monitor that I bought on Amazon. The image is a little small, I should have gone for the 7 inch monitor, but I didn't want too big a monitor. The plan is to replace the stock radio head unit with a much nicer touch screen aftermarket unit. When I do that I will have the monitor in my new head unit.
I am happy with the camera, but installation took longer than I had hoped. The plan was to tie into the backup lights in the driver's side tail light. I tried that but had black bands running across the screen. I checked the camera and monitor, and both were working well. Then I tied into the reverse light wire and ground wire in the trailer plug, and that works well.
on May 8, 2013
The picture this license plate camera provides is decent, not great. It didn't include any hex head bolts; the license plate frame has hex head provisions in it so as to make it more secure. Also, the wires from your splice point to the camera were so tiny as to be difficult to work with. The connection they provide from the license plate to the monitor was good quality and decent length.
I've used the Boyo License plate camera in the past and it included all good quality components, had better picture quality, included black hex head bolts but it was three times the price. So, for the money this isn't that bad.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 15, 2014
I just finished installing this on my 2010 Chevy Avalanche. So far it has been working great and the color picture is nice and clear. Haven't had issues with daylight driving, night time driving or driving in the rain. The camera has eight inferred LEDs for night use, which is more than adequate. The camera angle is also wide enough to see on both sides of the vehicle without issues. The parking guide lines are a nice touch as well.

How clear the video is will depend on the quality of the monitor. You don't need to have an HD monitor but it will add sharpness to the video, mine isn't HD and the video output is still pretty clear. If you don't have a video monitor yet I would recommend going with a 6" to 7" monitor, not too big for the dash and adequate enough for the camera feed.

The license plate frame is really strong and made of sold zinc and painted black. It does have some weight to it but will seems like it will stand up nicely to the elements. The camera and license frame are two separate pieces with the camera screwed into the frame. The camera sticks out by about 1 1/2 inches from the frame. I would have preferred if the camera could have been a little bit more flush with the frame so it blended in more but the current design still works.

For installation I was able to use the included power and video cables that were included with the product. For power to the camera I tied it to my back headlight bulb. I used the bulb socket for each lead for the camera power wire, which makes the connection more secure and less of a hassle to install. The video cable was ran to my inside video unit, this took more time due to the dress up and distance. I read some reviews about others sealing the connections with clear silicone so I did the same thing, the idea makes sense. This should help keep the connections more secure and keep moisture out.

I would recommend this camera to anyone looking to install an aftermarket backup camera to their vehicle. Installation is straight forward and can be done in a day, mine took roughly 3 hours. The installation also doesn't require drastically altering your vehicle. For the price it is a nice enhancement to my vehicle and makes backing up a lot easier.

I was provided a sample product for review and the review provided is my own.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon August 30, 2014
Never fear, You now have a chance to see what is going right on behind your vehicle. The
TaoTronics License Plate Mount Rear View Backup Camera works wonderful to getting a great view of what is happening right behind your vehicle. You won't have to worry about hitting any other car because now you'll know who is coming and getting out of their parking spot when you can't see.

I always hated backing out of a parking spot, because I can't see and others also try at the same time making for one big accident. Some are also just super fast going through the parking lot like its a speedway! Therefore, when I had installed this on my car, I noticed everything from the monitor( not included) to see who may be coming or going!

I even can use this to try to park my car while backing up into the parking spot! It really is a wonderful product and waterproof, won't get rusted or ruined. The camera is inside an alloy case and at an angle it can give you a perfect clear shot of the back.

Great product, designed to last and is perfect fit for US and Canadian License plates.
review image
on November 22, 2013
To start off with this review is actually of two products, the Magellan 1700LM with back up camera and TaoTronics TT-CL17 back-up Camera.

I have a 2010 F150 and because of it's size I decided to get a back up camera. As I was in need of a new GPS I looked around for combination units. These are pretty much limited to Garmin, Magellan and 4UCAM (Generic Model). The Garmin is significantly more expensive than the Magellan but does have some additional features such as Bluetooth (Which I had no need for)

Pros on the 1700

Very nice big screen with good resolution
Good mounting system with integration of the wireless receiver for the back up camera
Simple menus, thought limited features, for GPS function
Simple to use PC software for system and map updates
All cables etc. are included
Very good wireless transmitter and receiver.
Switches automatically to camera mode when you put vehicle in reverse.
Lifetime Map updates

Cons with 1700

The downloaded manual does not reflect the latest version of the software, some screens are different
The back up camera is not very good, no grid lines and it is not infrared so it is useless at night.

This brings me to the TaoTronics ($49.99) camera. After doing some additional research I decided to try a different camera to see if I could improve the night visibility. Even thought the TaoTronincs is designed for a hard wired use it works flawlessly with the Magellan wireless transmitter and receiver. The only "custom" things you need to do is hard wire the 12 Volt directly to the camera and obtain a female/female RCA connecter for the video feed. You may want to purchase a shorter video cable as the supplied one is very long.

Pros on TaoTronics

Good gridlines
Very good resolution
Has built in infrared LED bulbs for night vision.
Looks pretty good for a license plate camera
Appears to be of excellent quality.

Cons on TaoTronics

None I can think of

Installation on the F150 was very easy and involved no more than removing the taillight assembly (outlined in the Ford owners manual), running the camera wires from the camera to the video transmitter, wiring the 12 volt to you back up lights, securing the wiring beneath the vehicle with some tie wraps, and reassembling. It took me 30 minutes including adjusting the camera. I also built a mount for the GPS screen out of PVC pipe fittings which mounts in the center console cup holder. The total cost for this was ~ $10 at Home Depot.

A couple of suggestions

While you have the tail light out install an LED back up bulb (921) they are way brighter than the stock bulb. Instead of taping over the cable connections use heat shrink as it is more durable and water resistant.

In summary the 1700 with the TaTronics camera is a pretty nice solution for a reasonable priced GPS/Back up camera combo.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...