Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

on June 11, 2010
An award-winning documentary on DVD from the producers of "Who Killed the Electric Car?", Tapped explores the dark side of the bottled water industry. Human beings need clean drinking water to live. It is legal in some states for gigantic bottled water companies to suck public tap water sources dry (even when shortages force residents to ration water) then repackage and resell it at a gigantic markup - with infinitely less regulatory oversight than there is for tap water (and bottled water sold in the same state as it is pumped is virtually unregulated) - but is it ethical? Is the plastic used to create the water bottles truly safe for humans to put in their mouths? Perhaps worst of all is America's catastrophic overall failure to recycle plastic water bottles, resulting in an avalanche of non-biodegradable waste being pitched into landfills, or even straight into the ocean, where plastic bottles form a large part of a floating ocean garbage mound hundreds of square miles large. The bottle deposit laws of some states have been a proven, highly effective method to promote recycling - but because it incurs a minor expense the enormously profitable bottled water industry (an expense otherwise borne by everyone who has to cope with improperly disposed plastic bottle), corporations fight such legislative measures tooth and nail. Corporate control over public water supply, and corporate refusal to help shoulder the burden of recycling the mounds of plastic trash that are the byproducts of its profit, can only be combated by political activism - ordinary citizens getting involved and laying claim to their water rights, as well as their rights to a clean environment. A must-see, highly recommended documentary guaranteed to make viewers think twice before paying through the nose for what is essentially bottled (and smartly advertised) tap water. 75 and 54 minute versions of Tapped are available on the same DVD.
11 comment|84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 2, 2010
Watch this movie and make some very easy changes if you care about your children's future and the future of the planet as we know it. I am an ordinary mom who sees these things as common sense.

The information about the chemicals from the plastic bottles leaching into the bottled water has caused me to look further into what other food and drinks are packaged in plastics and what type of independent testing is done or not done to protect consumers. In addition, the "plastic soup" floating in the Pacific and Atlantic the size of Texas is alarmingly killing fish and plankton essential for life on our planet. Yikes. One more thing, I need to research for myself, but in the movie, members of Congress were questioning the FDA and EPA regarding the outdated procedures used to get products approved for the public. Like I said I need to verify this, but they said that no independent testing of products is required for approval and that the FDA and EPA rely on reports generated by the companies themselves stating that their products are safe. That just seems insane so I need to do some more research to see if that is true.

Well- I just went to the FDA.gov site

[...]

And found the following quote
FDA reviews the results of laboratory, animal and human clinical testing done by companies to determine if the product they want to put on the market is safe and effective. FDA does not develop or test products itself. The Agency does this pre-market review for new human drugs and biologics (such as vaccines, blood products, biotechnology products and gene therapy), complex medical devices, food and color additives, infant formulas, and animal drugs.

Something NEEDS to change.

Vote with your dollars by choosing products that are safe.

Write your political leaders and demand common sense regulation.

These current laws obviously care more about profits than the citizens of the U.S.A.
1010 comments|65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 17, 2010
There were always some lingering questions about the quality of the water in the bottles and any thinking person has to wonder about all those plastic bottles going into the eco-system, but this is the first time I was exposed to an organized, detailed look at the entire industry.

This documentary explores how bottled water comes about as well as the packaging and the impact on the environment. Let me tell you, if half of this is true (and I suspect all of it is) there is absolutely nothing positive about bottled water. It's as though that industry gets something for free, gets it onto the market at an unbelievably low cost and sells it back to you at an unbelievably high profit. Then they screw you on the back end by fouling up the environment. Essentially, they are charging you big money (more than you're paying for gasoline) for an inferior grade of a product you can get for nearly free. Not to mention the added health risks involved from drinking from those plastic bottles.

There are a few scenes where industry people are questioned on various matters and it even had me squirming. This is a horrible, horrible market in every aspect, and it is almost entirely unnecessary.

I'm tapping out now. I'm going to get myself a stainless steel personal water bottle and grab my water from home. It's safer to drink, costs less and won't screw up the environment.
66 comments|41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 7, 2010
1 Disc Widescreen, released August 10, 2010

"Tapped" is a documentary that discusses the question of whether clean drinking water is a basic human right or a commodity that can be bought and sold like any other. Stephanie Soechtig gives a behind-the-scenes approach to the bottled water industry that tries to control and profit off of this precious natural resource and the wastefulness of what happens to the P.E.T. bottles.

75% of the planet is covered in water, but only 1% is drinkable. America's largest bottled water corporations are bottling our natural waters everyday and selling it back at 1900% of the cost of tap water. Some states like Maine, California, and Michigan are fighting back and are in trials with Nestle, the bottler of Poland Springs water for the rights to their community water.

When so many documentaries focus on our dwindling natural resources, the loss of water would be much more frightening than oil. The truth that these companies like Nestle, Coca Cola, and Pepsi don't want you to realize is that bottled water is not cleaner, purer, or more healthy than tap water. They do not come from magical natural springs but from the same public sources as tap water. It is a completely unnecessary cost to the consumer budget that creates more waste and hurts communities that live around the refineries from pollution.

The question left to be asked is how much of these facts are scare tactics and how much is a valid threat that needs to be acted upon immediately? Concern about waste, the environment, and the health of people in our community is certainly very important, but it would be very difficult to convince our country that more attention needs to be paid to water when it is so focused on oil. It is sad, but true! I encourage you to check out this documentary which I fear might not get as much attention as it deserves without grassroots word-of-mouth behavor.

It is AMAZING how many people purchase bottled water when a filter on their faucet would work just as well and be cheaper in the long run. Bottled water is a luxury item, there are water fountains everywhere you go and it is much more environmentally sound to buy one reusable bottle and take it wherever you go.

This DVD comes in an environmentally friendly slim case much like its predecessor, "An Inconvenient Truth" among others. It has won awards at several international film festivals including Honolulu in 2010, Anchorage in 2009, Eugene in 2009, and Charleston in 2009 as well as the Best of Fest award at the Colorado Environmental Film Festival in 2009.

Bonus Features:

There are extra bonuses on Central Valley and Agriculture, Chemicals in the Water, Sewer Water Treatment, Oil and Water, Privatization, and World Water Crisis. This just goes to show the abundance of information that Stephanie Soechtig and her team dug up on anything and everything related to the water before channeling the focus of the film to keep her audience on track. These are all interesting subjects on their own, but they do veer off the path of the most direct message she was aiming for and makes a lot of sense that these were edited out.
VINE VOICEon October 7, 2012
I buy very few bottles of water, as I have been using a re-usable water bottle for years. However, after I watched this film, I vowed to NEVER buy bottled water again. For me, the most infuriating part of the movie concerned the way that Nestle and other companies just take over a town's water supply. In Maine, they have literally moved in and "mined" the water with their deep wells. Never mind that a town may have used that water source for its municipal water. All that matters to Nestle et al. is that they have more and bigger well-drilling equipment and lots more lawyers. The story of the nursing home having to call the fire company to deliver tankers of water made my hair stand on end! They are literally ripping off the public, paying little to nothing for the water that they extract, other than their equipment and labor costs. Then the stories of Southern states devastated by drought while the bottled water companies continue to tap into the dwindling sources of fresh water literally had me yelling at the computer screen while I watched.

Maybe for someone else, all the environmental devastation (and there is lots of it) will be the motivator. But for me, it is the bullying, robber baron ways of these huge corporations that has made me swear off bottled water forever. No more!
on November 23, 2013
BUY IT! BUY IT!! BUY IT!!

I also bought FOODMATTERS, HUNGRY FOR CHANGE, FORKS OVER KNIVES, FOOD INC., SUPER SIZE ME, FAT SICK & NEARLY DEAD, GOT THE FACTS ON MILK, and TAPPED.

However, WATER is only part of the BIGGER story. I dramatically changed my life in 6 weeks. Here is how I did it:

First I cut way, way, way back on sugar (not completely ought though.) I lost about 10 lbs in about 3 weeks. Then I bought a "Hamilton Beach" Big Mouth Pro Juicing Machine. I lost 20 lbs the first week doing the detox method (juicing fresh, almost all organic veggies and a little fruit.) I was not hungry, though I still had some cravings for sweets, steak, etc. It is important to know that I never let myself get hungry. I drank the 16 oz juice 3 times a day for 21 days snacking on cut up fresh veggies when I felt the need. My weight loss stalled a little, then slowly started moving again. It has been 6 weeks now and I currently have lost 40 lbs., went from a 38" waist to a 34." My shoes are now laced as tight as they will go and are now slip-ons. I feel & look healthier. I have a better attitude now and my doctor took me off most of my meds. He said over time, I may get off them all.

Honestly, you do have to have drive, enthusiasm, and determination. However, you do NOT have to be hungry and want to make sure you are not hungry. Otherwise you trigger a starvation involuntary bodily response to store fat due to the bodily perception of food shortage. This is only one reason why ordinary DIETS DO NOT WORK!

Are you tired of your life as it is? Hungry for dramatic change? GET BUSY! I am NOT sorry I decided to change.

P.S. - Look at the following Books: "The Juicing Bible" and "The Big Book of Juices." I found them helpful.
on June 16, 2013
There is a cause close to the core of this movie that is valid and valuable: the convenient product of bottled water is overconsumed and causing negative effects.

However, it is disheartening when a documentary is so one-sided that it fails to deliver the problem that bottled water addresses. For example, when discussing Dasani, there is considerable emphasis on the fact that Dasani and Aquafina are products that use tap water. The film makes it sound as though Dasani is simply tap water put in a bottle and resold. This is patently false and misleading. Dasani is tap water that is then filtered through reverse osmosis with mineral content readded for flavor. Reverse osmosis drastically changes the chemical makeup of the water, removing most of the trace chemicals, chlorine, flouride and even drugs that are in our tap water. It's so effective, it leaves water whose taste is described as flat (though I personally love the taste), which is why they readd a touch of salt, etc.

The flip side is that our tap water sucks when it comes straight from the tap. I've lived in places where sometimes it comes out brown, or smells so strongly of chlorine that I don't even want to brush my teeth with it. It is true that we have too many plastic bottles finding there way into the wrong places, and there are places in the country whose potable water is being over-mined by Nestle, Coca-Cola and Pepsi. When the film sticks to these topics it is powerful. But when they drift into areas of dubious science -- climate change, PET production, people with cancer (?!), it turns a good cause into a voodoo science witch hunt.

I personally use water filters and my Bobble (highly recommended!), and try to recylce the bottles I do use.

Disclaimer: I'm a pretty hardcore libertarian paternalist (look it up), and my view of this movie is definitely through that lens.
on August 16, 2015
Everyone should watch this movie. The writers and producers do an excellent job of explaining how the bottled water business is hurting Americans - both physically and economically.Watch this film and the only time you'll ever buy bottled water again is in case of a natural disaster or other emergency related to your tap water.
on May 11, 2013
It lost my attention half way through. I felt as if was unnecessarily long, don't get me wrong the film makes a good point and it was well made, but I was hoping for a lot more. Maybe I'll give it another try.
VINE VOICEon October 12, 2013
Standardized testing took 2/3 of my environmental students out of the classroom, so I decided that this presented a great opportunity to stream this film in class. I was not disappointed. Informative and truly eye opening - I actually saw a couple of students push their bottles of water away from them while watching. By the end of the film everyone who saw it pledged to no longer purchase bottled water. From the perils of bottle production, to the leaching of potentially toxic chemicals into the water, to the amorality of corporate mining of water from municipalities experiencing drought, to the Texas-sized island of plastic caught in the Pacific gyre - it's all here. It will make you truly concerned about the future of mankind and the state of the planet.