- Pre-order Price Guarantee! Order now and if the Amazon.com price decreases between your order time and the end of the day of the release date, you'll receive the lowest price. Here's how (restrictions apply)
|Amazon Price||New from||Used from|
Far from the catchy television spots and sleek magazine spreads are the comparatively modest ads that pop up on websites and in Internet searches. But don’t be fooled—online advertising is exploding. Growing at a compound annual rate near 20%, it is now the second-largest advertising channel in the United States.
Part history, part guidebook, part prediction for the future, Targeted tells the story of the companies, individuals, and innovations driving this revolution. It takes readers behind the scenes—examining the growth of digital advertising, its enormous potential, and the technologies that are changing the game forever. Leading the way is real-time bidding, which offers advertisers unprecedented precision in targeting ads and measuring their effectiveness.
From keyword micro-markets and ad serving systems to aggregated virtual audiences and new business models, Targeted is sweeping in scope and stripped of technical complexity. It is an essential resource for anyone interested in finding and connecting with customers in the vast and shifting Internet universe.
Digital advertising has reached critical mass, and there are no signs of slowing. With growth far outpacing other channels, more advertising dollars are spent on it than on either broadcast or cable TV! And advertising on mobile devices is more than doubling each year!
But in this vast, congested cyberenvironment, the complex challenge of choosing and reaching good customers before they click elsewhere--or put away their mobile phones--can eclipse the promise of attracting new customers. Few people truly understand how to target ultrafragmented users of digital media with short attention spans. Others struggle to keep up with innovations such as real-time bidding or online ad exchanges. Too much guesswork still underlies many digital campaigns.
Like no other resource, Targeted clarifies issues, eliminates confusion, and corrects common misperceptions. Sweeping in scope and eminently readable, it brings you up to date on technology breakthroughs, key players, industry developments, marketing strategies, terminology, historical background, and predictions for the future. You'll find information that will make or break your efforts--on using real-time auctions, developing optimal bidding strategies, using real-time analytics and social media to collect customer data, and handling tracking difficulties and click fraud. This fast-paced, highly informative narrative explains it all:
* How the stepchild of ad media emerged as a dominant force
* What actually takes place in the seconds between entering a web address and having the page rendered
* How real-time bidding (RTB) is transforming online advertising with its capacity to target an optimal audience
* How technology is bringing fairness and transparency to the question of an ad's true worth
* Why Google's reliance on paid-search advertising could spell trouble
* Which tech geniuses and business strategists continue to drive change
* Who among the tangle of intermediaries has survived, and who has not
* How social media, tablets, and smartphones create both complexity and opportunity
* Plus much more!
No one can afford a murky understanding of interactive advertising. Targeted's expansive yet detailed overview of this breakout phenomenon gives you the knowledge to harness its power for reaching your most promising customers, and standing out amid the cyberclutter.
Mike Smith is a Vice President at Hearst Magazines Digital Media, responsible for the platforms that support the creation and delivery of online advertising. Previously President of Forbes.com, he is a recognized thought leader in digital publishing.