Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

on August 23, 2012
This is an adjustable platform that does what is advertised to do. The fan is quiet, and one is only aware of the fan if one pays special attention to listen for it. I have a Macbook Pro 15.4 inch unibody, which tends to run hot on the under surface, and does not dissipate heat well. With this platform, it runs very cool and upon feeling the bottom of the laptop, there is no heat felt. Highly recommend this device. Best price at Amazon.
on July 23, 2012
I bought this product at Best Buy and decided to help other consumers on Amazon. The laptop stand did not work for me, however others might enjoy it. I own a MacBook Pro and with its stainless steel shell, the stand did not hold on to my laptop enough or get enough friction on it when I had it raised, ending in a horrible slide and drop to the floor. The fans in the product were not strong enough for how hot MBPs get but were quiet. I really enjoyed having the USB hub in the back of the item so that I could have a sort of dock effect without buying an actual dock. The stand is Not made of too flimsy of a plastic; it felt durable in my hands.

Pros: Quiet fans, USB hub works great, option to tilt

Cons: Low powered fans, SLIPPERY HOLD ON THE FRONT OF LAPTOP

All in all, if your laptop has good rubber feet and you don't always want to have it fully tilted, it may suit you, but for me it wasn't the best option. Just be prepared for lightweight fans.
55 comments|42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 12, 2013
It drops active temps 2-3* C, idle, or under load. I tested the temps on 2 laptops, one system running an i7, one an AMD A10, both with integrated graphics, and the results were horrible.

To put this in comparison, you can achieve similar temp drops by simply elevating your laptop onto 2 pencils or something similar to allow more airflow under the laptop.

As stated in other reviews, it does NOT include the AC adapter, even though this isn't stated anywhere in the product description, OR on the box, so the USB Hub feature of this pad is nonexistent, unless your willing to shell out another $10-$15 + shipping to get an aftermarket AC adapter

And as a final gripe, testing on 4 different laptops, none of them will stay seated when the cooling pad is angled at all. This is due to the fact that both the laptops and cooling pad have curved edges, there's nothing to catch the laptop. This is easily solved with a small strip of non slip shelf liner, but the fact that something like this wasn't built into the design is just blatant negligence.

There are better coolers for the MSRP of this product, Just don't be suckered in like I was at an "$18 Targus cooling pad" Spend the extra money and buy something else.
on April 17, 2014
I use this with a Dell XPS 12 laptop, which is a 12 inch laptop. Anything up to a 17 inch laptop would fit but would actually be larger than the mat. I like its ability to elevate and it stay in the elevation position for the most parts. The USB hub is also great; however, if your laptop USB port doesn't put out a lot of power, then you won't be able to power higher power consumption devices. Meaning, you will not be able to power a portable hard drive or a portable DVD player at the same time. A bunch of thumb drives are no problem. Also, the 2 fans on the mat also run off of your laptop power. There is an upside. The USB hub does take a power adapter to supply that extra power. The downside is the fans. The first few months I had no problems but then they started making loud noises upon start up. I remedy this by tapping on the mat and they eventually stop making the noise. However, I'm finding it takes longer to quite them down. So, it's probably a matter of time before they die. I think they can be replaced but would be a pain doing so. But in the end, it keeps my laptop cool, elevated and options for multiple USB devices as long as I have enough power.

Edit: Fans make a horrible sound now. Can't stop the noise nor can you access them to change them out. Fans didn't even last a month. Money down the drain.
on October 8, 2012
I purchased this handy chill mat at Staples due to the fact that I was going to college and I wanted a chill matt to compensate for my extensive use of my laptop. I purchased this and I am very happy with it. The four USB ports work great, which is something I am glad I have since my HP laptop only has 2 2.0 USB ports and one is being used by my wired mouse. It cools my laptop really well, a laptop notoriously known for heating problems. My only issue with it, is that my laptop is a 15.4 inch and just about fits. I tried placing my father's 17.2 inch Dell on there and it was hanging off the back. It works extremely well for what is is sold for and I have no complaints other than it won't fully work for a 17 inch due to its size. The cable that comes with it is small and works perfectly fine and the velcro straps on the back are very nifty. I personally don't use the chill pad's leverage feature out of pure preference, but it does lock and stay in place. Overall, I am satisfied with this product and I would recommend it someone.
on May 16, 2014
Quite a few things very wrong with this product.
1) No velcro strap as claimed
2) Does not even mention external power source needed
3) Must purchase external power source seperately
4) Fans went bad (horrible noises and/or not working what-so-ever) within the 1st month!

I was lucky and happened to have an older Targus chill hub and was able to use it's power source. After only 1 month of use both of the fans completely went out. I ordered some fans to upgrade to (which lead to even more and bigger headaches) only to find out it was pretty much a lost cause. It's set up for 2 pin fans for those that chose to, can, and are able to change/upgrade fans. Don't waste your money on this product. If I were to do it again, I would have definitely paid the few extra bucks for a SF-19, which is what I ended up getting as a replacement.
on December 19, 2012
It worked less than a month before the fans started grinding. If I want to use it now it makes a horrible growl screech that can't be worked around. AVOID THIS PRODUCT.
on October 14, 2012
When I pay $50 for a cooling pad, it had better come with all the components to make it work properly. This does not come with the power supply for the usb hub and requires that you order it separately from the Targus website. At least on the mobile version of their site i could not find the power supply for sale nor could i find it anywhere else doing a google search. I am annoyed and returning this tomorrow and getting a cheap cooling pad and a separate powered usb hub. Nice idea poorly executed!
on January 7, 2013
Targus should be ashamed that they manufacture such a piece of junk. I bought (burned my money) this thing in September 2012. First of all, Targus makes you purchase an AC adaptor separate. Talk about a scumbag move right there. In November, the fans on the mat began sounding like a chainsaw. Several times I attempted to blow a can of compressed air into them but the buzzing noise persisted.
Horrible product, horrible company. Do not buy.
on February 22, 2013
Do NOT purchase. No where in the description does it state that you need an outside power source. I just received this item, and when I plugged it into my laptop, it wouldn't work. I look at the small book tat came with this unit, and NOW I find that I may need an alternate power source. Would've never purchased if I knew this