4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty cool device, but not for laptop gamers
Published on January 1, 2006 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Does anybody really like this Targus product?!?
I'm a long-time Amazon and computer user...

Published on January 3, 2006 by Peter C. Harrison

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty cool device, but not for laptop gamers, January 1, 2006
This review is from: Targus ACP50US Universal Notebook Docking Station with Video (Personal Computers)
I have a TC1100 tablet PC which has a fairly small screen. The docking station that came with my tablet wasn't the right one, but I didn't give it a second thought because I never used the computer in a docking station environment. However, I have decided that I would like to set up my tablet with an extra LCD monitor that I have lying around. The docking station from HP is quite pricy, so I started searching and found the Targus universal docking station.

I read the other reviews about this product and went straight to the website to download the newest drivers instead of the using the drivers on the packaged CD. I installed the drivers BEFORE plugging in the docking station (this is required). Once the drivers were installed and the computer rebooted, I tried it out and . . .

was pleasently suprised. I am actually typing this review using the external monitor hooked up to the docking station. When starting programs and other things on the external monitor, there is a framerate drop, but once things get started and settled, the lag goes away.

I started up several different programs and was happy with the results until I opened a game that requires DirectX. It wouldn't start, giving me an error that said my video card did not support this.

I suspect the problem that other people were having with this docking station stems from the bit rate associated with USB 1.0 vs. 2.0. A video setup on an older computer probably had a 33MHz bus speed running 16 bits or about 528 Mbps. USB 1.0 is a mere 10 Mbps and USB 2.0 is roughly 400 Mbps. I don't know what the Targus docking station uses as far as bus speeds and bus width, but I would suspect the people that were having terrible lag were using USB 1.0.

Overall: This is a pretty cool and inovative device in that it can add a monitor and multiple ports to ANY laptop. There are some stipulations though. One is that you won't be using the emulated monitor to play DirectX games (I suspect movies might have problems also). Office applications, web browsing, and any other non-graphics intensive applications will work just fine. Two is that you will definately want to have USB 2.0. Three is to download the drivers off the Targus website and skip the packaged CD.

In the end I will probably return this product and just get a port replicator without video. I will just plug in the the port replicator and the monitor, instead of just a port replicator. That way I can take advantage of my video card built into my laptop instead of emulating a lesser video card it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does anybody really like this Targus product?!?, January 3, 2006
Peter C. Harrison (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I'm a long-time Amazon and computer user...

I have spent months off-and-on trying to configure this Targus product with a new Dell laptop and LG monitor. It simply does not work as advertised as the video display and mouse tracking is just too slow to use. And Targus has not answered any of my many Web inquiries, emails or phone calls. They appear to have no tech support.

If others are as frustrated with Targus as me (and by reading the other reviews, it appears you are) then I recommend you voice your problems and don't buy Targus products. Then maybe Targus will reconsider how they advertise to and support their customers.

Don't buy this product!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy for video, July 16, 2005
If you are purchasing this unit to furnish a stable port for your notebook to connect to your LCD monitor - DON'T. Video and mouse very unstable. Make sure your video setting is mirrored so you can reset the video or turn off when it freezes up. Don't pay the extra bucks for this port replicator because it does not work as advertised. You can save yourself some money and a lot of frustration by buying a dock for all your non-video connections and avoiding this unit.

1.0 out of 5 stars DANGER!! BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!! STAY AWAY!, August 7, 2005
First of all, I am an ADVANCED user, familiar with driver installation. Just purchased a brand new, Presario R4000 laptop.

I followed manufacturer's install directions EXACTLY.

Driver installation from Targus OEM CD v.5.0 resulted in "black screen" during video adapter install and physical memory dump duing install after connecting to Windows via USB.

Uninstalled drivers, rolled system back using System Restore to recover. I should note that I attempted the driver install SEVERAL different times with the SAME result. In all, I was able to REPLICATE this problem many times.

Downloaded Targus drivers 5.0.3 build from site. From bad to WORSE!! Ethernet driver install caused physical memory dump, and another "Blue Screen of Death".

System recovered (Thank GOD), I uninstalled all Targus drivers, rolled the system back AGAIN and deleted the .ZIP file from Targus and the .tmp files I generated from the screen dumps!

My advice, DO NOT attempt to install this on a Presario R4000. Period.

4.0 out of 5 stars OK if you have a fast system and USB 2.0, March 7, 2006
I bought this docking station even though most of the reviews were negative. The video port was not essential, and I was hoping that my fast dual-core system would help speed up the throughput.

First of all, YOU MUST RUN THIS THROUGH A USB 2.0 port if you want any kind of video. Second download the latest driver from the Targus website. Do not use the CD that came with the DS.

I have 3 usb devices, mouse-kbd-printer, attached to the DS, as well as a 17" LCD running at 1024x768 16 bit color. I am running it as an extension of my main screen. Finally, I am plugged into our 100BT ethernet LAN through the DS.

The results are as good as I hoped for. At maximum resolution(1024x768 32 bit color) there is some jitter on the second screen when moving windows, or if you move the mouse quickly, but I expected lower quality video. I use remote desktop often, so i am used to video performance shortcomings.

When I reduce the resolution or color depth the jitter lessens to the point that it is not noticeable at 800x600 16 bit color. I get fair results running at 1024x768 16 bit, which is not visibly different from 32 bit unless you are working with images. I will use my main screen for that. You can get better performance by turning off menu effects, and not displaying window contents while dragging, but I did not find it necessary.

Overall I am very pleased, and will probably buy a few more for other users, as well as one for my home office. It is much easier and safer to plug in a single USB cable every morning and night, than it is to plug in a lan, monitor, mouse, keyboard and printer.

Keep in mind, the notebook I used for testing is faster than most desktops.

System used:

Secondary Hard Drive: 100GB 7200RPM SATA

Bay 1 Media Drive: 8x DVD+- combo drive with DVD+R DL

Operating System: Windows XP Professional SP2

My background:

IT Director-.NET Programmer-Sys Admin for a small/medium sized company.

1.0 out of 5 stars Targus Port Replicator Glorified USB Hub, January 15, 2007
This item was ordered as a christmas present and arrived without incident. It also arrived in a plastic bag with out any software or even a label saying what it was. After installing this item and beginning use with it, it became evident that the video portion of the device didn't work correctly. The monitor hooked up displayed the same thing as my laptop but on a 5 second delay and the mouse and everything else appears to trail. We updated all necessary drivers and sought technical support from Targus. It took them a long time to respond and once they did, there advice was to hook the monitor directly up to the laptop, defeating the purpose of having a docking station. So, with that said, if you are looking for a USB hub, this will work, but if you are looking for a Docking Station with Video (as this device/company claim) I would strongly recommend you purchase something from a company other than Targus.

2.0 out of 5 stars Heap of junk, August 15, 2007
pettybogie (Highland Park, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this item for around $50 at a CompUSA store closing sale. At that price it is still expensive for what it does. I gave up trying to use an external monitor attached directly to the docking station, as the performance was terrible (on a very fast new PC, attached to a 22 inch LCD monitor). After downloading new drivers, I was able to get the docking station to work with Vista without any problems. In essence this is a glorified USB hub, with a couple of good features: It has two powered permanently powered USB ports, which are useful if you want to attach a phone or Ipod; it includes an Ethernet port, thus allowing you to attach your router directly to the docking station. So in my case I still have to unplug two cables from my computer, every time I disconnect it (the VGA cable and USB connecting to the Targus). In sum, I don't recommend you buy this unit as the video capabilities, the unit's selling point, are basically worthless.
PS - After a week of use, I found that it does not even work well as a hub as the computer freezes and has to be robooted every time I wake up the screen saver (a core due processor, 2 Gig Ram, Vista). This product is a disgrace and anyone who has bought it should be refunded by Targus. Do not buy it! I would take away all my stars but Amazon does not allow that option.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good product for $39, November 12, 2006
I bought this product for $39 through Amazon. Arrived in a clear plastic bag, no manual or CD. It looked new and the seller claimed it was new. I downloaded the latest driver from targus for use with a Lenovo Thinkpad T60 with Windows XP. Installed fine. Recognized all devices (printer, mouse, video, etc.). Notes:

1. Video is fine. Slightly lower quality and slightly "faded" colors, otherwise no difference. Video streaming is fine.

2. I do not run games, dvds or video editing on the auxiliary monitor so I cannot say how these will run.

3. Targus is NOT compatible with pivot pro, which shifts the extra monitor 90 degrees. targus only lets you use the extra monitor in the normal "landscape" orientation, cannot shift to "portrait" orientation.

4. With the targus, the mouse is very slightly lagged on the browser. No discernible lag on word processing, spreadsheets, i.e. notebook programs.

5. I have read the other bad reviews. It may be that the targus is not compatible with other notebooks.

6. I also have a Lenovo docking station which cost $159. With the Lenovo dock, video, mouse and all functions are perfect including pivot pro. On a scale of one to ten, I would rate the Lenovo docking station a 10 and the targus a 6. I would rate targus a 7 if you are not interested in pivot pro.

On balance, this is a good product if you can get it for $39. But if you have to pay $100 or above, get the docking station that is made for your notebook like the Lenovo.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY this product at any circumstance, May 15, 2006
I got this from Dell with my laptop. For some reason Dell doesn't make their docking station anymore, so they just gave me this without telling me the brand and the model number.

I installed it with no problem, but then the video through its USB is so extremly slow. You will see about half second delay more your mouse pointer.

Then while I tried connecting a serial port on the docking station, it couldn't transfer the data.

I tried installing a USB to parrelle port printer cable on the computer, some how the Targus drivers made my usb printing disable. It doesn't display any error messages at all. I had to test the cable on another Dell laptop to find out it was the docking station's problem

1.0 out of 5 stars BUYER BEWARE, January 28, 2007
I own this product and have used it successfully on one notebook (dell). This product is a port replicator NOT a docking station. For those that need tech mumbo jumbo its quite simple. Software controls this product and it operates according to very strict hardware rules. The drivers are very unstable plus there is no support for some ATI cards. I would recommend at least 1GB of ram with a 7200 rpm hard drive in order to prevent lag and the screen of death. Please don't buy if you don't know what video card you have or if your computer is slow. Trust me I have 9 laptops and only one worked with this product. Don't be a fool. (Nvidea cards have more support)