Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Storm Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

I was trying to choose between this and the other charging stations that look virtually identical to this one and are made by Belkin and XTG. What swayed me to spend 25% more for the Targus unit was the claim of "Charging Station features a 2-port hub capable of charging 2 USB-powered devices at the same time and features a 15 watt charging rate. What sets the Targus Slim Power Device apart from similar products is that the Targus device has the ability to fast charge an iPad and an iPhone simultaneously, while other devices charge an iPad at a slower rate."

That claim is stated in a special box with a picture of an iPad charging on a countertop while plugged into the Targus USB port.

And that claim is why I paid more for this charging station vs the others.

HOWEVER, when the two charging stations that I ordered arrived. I noticed that the boxes said 2.1A charging. That is 10 Watts, not 15 watts.

Worse, looking over the product description, I see in the fine print it says, "Turn any wall outlet into a mobile device charging station with the Targus Plug-N-Power Charging Stations with USB charging ports. This portable charging station features a USB fast charger (2.1A) for rapid charging of iPad and tablets. This charging station features 10 watts of total USB power and includes 3 AC outlets with 540 joules of surge protection and 2 USB charging ports for simultaneous charging. Perfect for the kitchen, bathroom, or garage, the charging stations mounts securely to any standard AC outlet."

So in the features section with the pictures and bullet-point boxes it says it can do 15 watt fast-charging. But in the fine print and on the box, it indicates that it can do 10 watt standard ipad charging.

Which is it Amazon?

I'm afraid I just wasted my money for a charger with nothing special.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon January 14, 2012
Size: 3 OutletsVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Easy to use since you don't need to manually remove a wall plate and screw it in. As you'll see in the video, keep in mind your net gain over a standard two prong wall electrical outlet is two additional electrical outlets and one USB charging port because you are likely already using one of your outlets to charge your Apple device. Mind the green light if you will be sleeping in the same room as the charger - the green light is always on, which really isn't too "green" for energy conscious consumers. Also note how close together the outlet plugs are - any plug wider than a standard electrical plug will take up more than one of the outlets. So any plug that serves as a "power adapter" [so it is a small box with a plug] for a device rather than a straight plug will take up enough space to block the adjacent outlet.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 3, 2013
I recently contacted Amazon and its supplier, (T-Bar) about the return of the Targus Plug-N-Power Charging Station (T-Bar actually shipped a handYman version) because of the shipped version only having a 2.1A (combined) USB output -- versus the Targus advertised 3A output. I was disappointed and asked for a return.
Since that time, I have learned that Targus does not actually meet their 3A output spec; it is also a 2.1A output. And, I can find no similar product which does so.
Consequently I will be keeping and using the handYman unit that was delivered.
NOTES:
1) The Amazon description should be highlighted to state that the Targus unit offers ONLY a 2.1A USB combined output.
2) Although the handYman unit delivered is (I believe) identical, L-T Bar should ship the quoted product OR at least inquire prior to sending a substitute item.
3) The furnished unit will (slowly) charge both an iPad3 and a iPhone5 simultaneously. Charging only one at a time would result in a faster charge.
4) Plugs conveniently into existing 120VAC 2-socket outlets.

Additional Note: L-T Bar (the vendor) contcted me on Jan 7, 2013 to request that I remove their rating of two-stars as a vendor, saying that they shipped a Targus unit. I declined as the product received from them is boldly labeled handYman. The packaging states "handYman Smart POWER, Model No. S9P 332 NIWG, Made in China. I strongly feel that a vendor SHOULD NOT send substitute product without first contacting the purchaser!
Size: 3 OutletsVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
In an age of ubiquitous electronic products, this ingenious but simple device really meets the need for a charger that takes both USB AND conventional 3-prong plugs. My devices seem to run out of juice fairly quickly, so the multi-charging and dual-input capability is very welcomed. In fact, as I write this, it is charing an electric toothbrush and an Ipod.

Besides have recepticals for three conventional 2- and/or 3-pronged plugs, there are two slots for plugging in USB connectors. Besides Apple products (e.g., Ipad, Ipod, Iphone) it will work with Blackberries and ANdroid devices as well. Basically, if you can plug your USB connector into a standard laptop plug, it should fit into this.

THe three AC outlets have 540 joules of surge protection, and the manufacturer touts the "fast charger" (specifications for USB port: 2.1 amps shared, 5 volts, 10.2 watts mximum) of the USB ports. There's a limited one-year warranty; details are available at [...].

Limitations. The charger works just as it should, but there are a few drawbacks. FOr me, the most important one is the sheer size of the thing. It will cover up adjacent wall plugs; on a standard surge protector it covers up three outlets--that's quite a lot to lose. OF course, if you don't need other devices plugged in, this is not a problem. You'll also need a 3-pronged outlet for the charger (or a 3-prong to 2-prong converter--which MAY not be as safe, perhaps someone can comment on this.) However, most outlets have slots for three prongs.

As large as it is, the charger stays securely flushed against a wall--fantastic. (I've seen much lighter devices that won't stay plugged in). Yes, there is a fairly bright green light across the top (ostensibly to assure you that the surge protector is working); honestly, I'm not sure why this is needed. However, as long as you have an outlet outside of your bedroom, it's not an inconvenience. YOu can also use this as a permanent fixture by drilling a hole and screwing it in (a screw is not provided).

Bottom line... A dependable charger with excellent features which will be valued by those with multiple charning needs. The large size might be a drawback (they could have made this smaller by having just two conventional plug-ins and two USB ports, but the company opted for higher simultaneous charging). As stated above, if you have a spare outlet (or one where other electronics can be temporarily unplugged), this is a moot point. Overall, I'm very pleased with the quality and functionality!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Size: 3 OutletsVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Very useful product and helps to manage all the USB cable charging devices from one place.
Installation: Super easy, just plug in any wall adapter. It stays flush with eh plug and I don't see any need of using the hardware provided to bolt it in.

Socket Space: That is precisely where it looses one star. You will get three sockets but at the most you can only use 2. the only time, when you can use all three is with three iPhone wall plugs and event those will be too tight.

USB charging: Works as expected and helps to charge all the devices which come with a USB charging cable and thus, avoid the need to connecting to a laptop all the time.

Surge protection light: There is a green light on top of this plug which always stay on, thus making it unsuitable for bedroom. However, you can put a piece of tape on it and avoid this problem

Check the video to see the brightness of light in dark.
review image
on May 16, 2012
Size: 3 OutletsVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This Targus Charging Station is stylish and sleek; it can support three electrical devices and 2 USB devices. I have used it to charge my iPhone and iPod and it works just fine. I've even "borrowed" it off my wall and taken it with me on a weekend trip when I couldn't find my smaller charger. It did the job and kept my iPhone alive, which was very helpful.

Two things I don't like about this charging station: One, there's a half-inch piece of plastic jutting out on the back, below the plug, which means it doesn't sit properly in any of my wall sockets. Do I need to drill a hole in my wall to support this? Um, okay! Nah, I mean, it'll hang onto the wall socket, but at a weird angle, and it bothers me. The other thing I don't like is the glowing green light at the top! I had this thing plugged in near my TV and my eyes kept getting drawn toward the light. It's really distracting and seems unnecessary. I wish you could opt to turn that off. It's there to let you know that your Charging Station is "protected", but I just find it annoying. I now have this item plugged into a wall socket that is hidden from view.

All in all, this product does the job it's supposed to, but if I could find one just like this but without the piece of plastic on the back, and without the green, glowing light, I think I'd be happy.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
We bought this to help cut down on some needing usb adapters for our electronics. The first 1 we had usb's that worked for about 2 days then they stopped working. we got it replaced through Amazon and have had the 2nd 1 for about a 2 weeks and have since run into the same problem.

Don't buy this product its not worth it when you will have to keep replacing it.
on January 21, 2012
This Plug-N-Power station is working wonderfully for our family. With 6 iPods/iPhones, 3 Kindles and many things going on in our household, this was a great addition to our kitchen. It is working great. And the green glow that shows that it is surge-protected actually makes a nice soft glow for the nighttime.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 22, 2011
Size: 3 OutletsVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a decent outlet expander and USB power supply. As others noted, the clear plastic tab/bar at the top is illuminted which the package does not mention. It could make a decent nightlight if you can find a location where you want both USB power and a small amount of light.

Works well charging the iPad, and it apparently implements the USB standard to the point that the device knows it can draw more than the standard 500ma of current. I'm not sure you could charge two high-power devices at once, and if the device would prevent that (I don't have a second iPad to test with).

There is a center screw for attaching it semi-permanently to the outlet, but this is optional, which is nice if you want to plug it into an outlet that doesn't provide the screw-hole in the middle (such as an outlet with integrated GFI).

It does what it claims to do.

G.
VINE VOICEon December 22, 2011
Size: 3 OutletsVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is one of those simple but brilliant ideas. It fits easily on a kitchen counter plug without having to have a power strip sitting on the counter. I particularly love the fast charge time through the usb plugs. It's simple, but it really is so convenient. It's just what my technology loving family needs. It does have a light on the top, but that doesn't bother me since we put it in the kitchen anyway.