Amazon.com: Customer Reviews:
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Drowners Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

• Customer Reviews

on December 15, 2009
Perfect for campus. Huge pockets, fits 17" laptop plus cords. Handles great including on rough surfaces and up steps. Definitely a keeper!

Details:
I bought this particular bag because it had the biggest dimensions. I'm taking 4 college classes and three of them are back to back without time to go back to my car in between. This bag is big enough to fit all of my things.

In the main pocket I regularly put 3 spiral notebooks (about 3/4" each), 3 textbooks (3/4"-1.5"), 3 smaller books (1" total), and 4 folders (1" total). It still has room for either my wallet (a monster thing at about 3"x4"x6") or another 1" textbook.

The computer pocket is well-padded. It easily fits my 17" laptop. It has a padded divider that velcros in place to set the horizontal width. Even with my laptop being so large, the space remaining between the padded strip and the edge of the case is the perfect size for the power adapter cord. There is sufficient room in that middle pocket to put a folder when I wanted to.

The front area has pockets and loops for pens and whatnots. The loops for holding pencils or pens are too loose to be helpful but they are the perfect size for regular sized highlighters. The pockets are very deep in that front pouch which is good for holding larger things like headphones or a decent sized calculator. I have my headphones in one and the other I filled up with small things. It has a long, removable, zippered pouch that fits in the front pocket that appears to be for a spare battery but I carry my pens, pencils, and other small office supplies in it.

As far as handling goes, it surpassed my expectations. The handle is long enough that it doesn't trip me from behind as I walk. It turns accurately. I can push it if I want (like to back up or to get out of a crowded elevator). The placement of the rear wheels allows it to handle smooth, bumpy, and uneven surfaces. It handled gravel, leaves, ice, and a thin layer of snow. (We haven't had anything deeper than that yet.)

Best of all, it can go up steps. The small step to our porch is no problem, regular sized steps on campus are fine going up. The step into my house has a little overhang so I need to push the bag out with my foot as I pull it through but that's the only step I've ever had problems with. I can take them down as well but I don't want to slam my laptop around any more than necessary. The handle is plenty padded for lifting it up and walking down the stairs. (It has a shoulder strap too but I've never used it.)

The only problem I've had with it, and I was hard-pressed to come up with one, is that it isn't weighted in such a way that if the back pocket is empty and the front pocket has stuff in it, it will tip forward when set on the ground. This is so easy to fix or to tolerate if I have stacked it weird, that it hardly qualifies as a problem.

I am so glad I got this bag! I hope it holds up to wear and tear. I suspect it will as it seems very durable and strong.
66 comments|105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon September 17, 2009
Works great for getting a laptop, files and a short trips' clothes in one convenient package. I usually carry alot of paperwork/files to go with my laptop and this case has some serious room. It is heavy and coupled with a 17" laptop is very heavy but the wheels work fine and the shoulder strap works good as well. Nice low key look that does not attract attention screeming, "hey there's a laptop in here, steal me!"

This was bought to replace a very expensive LowePro backpack that had massive zipper failure because of being overloaded. The new Targus case is not even remotely close to being full with the same amount of gear. It still looks empty as a matter of fact. Decided to go back to Targus after the Lowepro because of a very positive experience with a Targus laptop backpack with a 15" computer. Seems most of my gear failures are b/c of overpacking and the zippers busting so this case should aleviate that problem!!!

The mediocre rating scared me but the 2 1-star ratings were one instance of a damaged product (understandable)and the other was from someone claiming the laptop would not fit but evidently did not realize there is an adjustable petition in the laptop compartment! I measured the dimensions that targus spec'd and they are accurate. I measured the reviewers dimensions and the laptop would fit easily in this case as my 17" dell is much larger and fits; once the velcro partition is adjusted.
on February 22, 2006
This case is extremely universal and has room for all the little extras you need to carry with your laptop for total connectivity. Whether you are carrying papers, or cables or even a small projector, this case has room. Yet you can still carry it on your shoulder. This case is by far superior to others (and believe me, I checked them all out)for a couple reasons. It fits the larger notebooks (17") and it has a lifetime warranty. It seems they thought of everything, even a bonus organizer you can send in for if you need it for multimedia files (pay only s&h). You will NOT be disappointed with this case - and this is, BY FAR, the BEST PRICE ANYWHERE - and with free shipping, no tax - it beats them all. I compare to Best Buy ($94.99). You save $20. I ordered the case Sunday evening at Midnight, and it arrived at my door on tuesday afternoon (even with free shipping). Don't wait, order it now!
0Comment|87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 18, 2010
This is a good bag for a large laptop/notebook. I bought it for my Dell Alienware m17x, which is a huge, heavy laptop computer.

Pros:
-KEY FEATURE FOR ME. I did not want to "advertise" the presence of my m17x, so I shunned all of the "Dell" or "Alienware" bags/packs. The Targus bag is non-descriptive, and looks like any other rolling briefcase. Sure it probably has a laptop, but probably a crappy corporate hand-me-down. :)
-It fits the Dell Alienware m17x well.
-It has many good specialty pockets and pouches for all your stuff. There is a large compartment for files or even clothes.
-The telescoping handles are sturdy, and the wheels roll smooth and soft like roller-blade wheels.

Cons:
-The computer compartment is not padded as well as I would have liked. I am going to get some more padding.

Summary:
-The m17x fits. It looks like a regular bag. The price is right. It is constructed well.
on February 9, 2012
Just purchased this case, and I am extremely happy with it. It is right-sized for my needs.

The back and middle compartments are each 3" deep and will fit a change of clothes, my laptop, large expandable folder, my Franklin Planner, a book, my power cord, and best of all, my joystick mouse (which did not fit well in my last case). There are plenty of compartments to hold my external drive, headset, hardwire, CDs/DVDs, pens and office supplies, business cards, etc. There is also a padded, zip pocket for those that have an iPad, tablet or Kindle. There is a separate, mesh bag in the front compartment, about 4" x 12" x 1", perfect for office supplies, small travel items, anything loose. It would work perfectly as an overnight travel bag, because you can remove it and set it on the sink. And on the side is a small zipper compartment with a rollout, drawstring, mesh bag great for keys or change. A 12"x 8" zipper pocket is on the front of the bag, perfect for your passport, boarding pass, documents you want to find fast.

The zippers are smooth and appear durable and seams are tight. The center compartment zipper will take a travel lock. The wheels and handle are also built well, and the handle is long enough that the bag won't be on my heels. And even though the case is large, roughly 18" x 16" x 9", it is light and has a thickly-padded, shoulder strap.

Update: 3/20/14. The strap on my bag started to come apart somewhat where the padding was stitched to the strap. The hardware, etc was all still in great condition. A simple phone call to Targus and I have a new strap!! Great company to buy from and deal with.
on July 18, 2011
Got this to replace carrying both a laptop bag and a rolling carry-on. It's HUGE, it does have a shoulder strap, but you won't want to use it very often. It's the same size as the 20" rolling carry-on I used to travel with.

For me, it holds all the typical business travel gear (laptop, a few files, etc) as well as a solid couple of night's worth of clothing (the back compartment is clearly intended for clothing, even has a couple of straps for holding stuff in place). The front compartment has numerous well designed pockets with velcro closures to keep things organized, which prevents stuff from getting lost in the large compartment. The laptop section is a bit light on padding, I feel. The version I received has added a dedicated ipad pocket inside the laptop compartment, which is kind of nifty. Overall a great bag, it's certainly fulfilled it's purpose.
on September 11, 2007
The Targus Rolling Travel Notebook Case adequately meets all of my needs. The case provides ample room for my 17" notebook, with ample room for my power cord and other accessories. Although I haven't traveled by air with it yet, I think it will serve those purposes nicely too. My only wish is that the "cargo" compartment would be just a bit larger. I know I'm probably trying to carry too much stuff in this case, but if I am carrying my notebook, there is not much room in the other compartment. I'm sure it would definitely hold a shirt, but not really much more than that. Still, overall, it's a good case.
on September 13, 2012
After much consideration of many different bags, I decided on this one. I am certianly pleased with this product. After a lot of research, I found that the biggest complaint with bags was an improper description of what size laptop the bag would hold. Mostly for those with a 17" laptop screen. I am one of those with such a large screen. I can tell you that it fits my 17.3" screen perfectly with some room to spare. In this laptop section there is also a place for the charger that does not take away from the laptop space. The larger compartment fits one binder and 2 large books and one short and fat study bible. The front compartment has multiple pockets for all of your needs including a sleeve that fits my kindle fire perfectly. There are a few internal zipper pockets throughout and one on the very outside of the bag. The handle has not given me any trouble, so far. It extends quite high for those much taller than me. The only thing I have noticed is the locking pins sometimes don't click into place and you have to push it down and pull back up to make it stick. I am a university student and this is perfect for all of my needs. It so far has shown that it can stand up to the sidewalks and shuttle bus. I am pleased with this product and hope to get a substantial amount of use out of it.
on December 17, 2013
I bought this bag in September from Amazon. Fast shipping and great service from the great folks at Amazon. However, about two months into owning this bag, one of the wheels broke and the bag wouldn't roll correctly anymore. I was out of time to return to Amazon, so I contacted Targus to get the bag replaced. Their warranty department told me that shipping would be on me, and once they received the bag, they would repair or replace the bag. I went to the UPS store and the Post Office and both places told me that it would be over $56.00 to ship the bag back to them in California. Why would I pay $56.00 or more to ship back a bag that is only $69.00 new? Targus customer service is horrible in my opinion. Their bags are horrible in my opinion. Save yourself the trouble and buy a better bag that won't break a wheel the first time you put more than 10 pounds in it and roll it through an airport.

I will make every opportunity I can to slam this product and the company that makes the bag. I have never had any customer service rep be so rude and condescending to me for wanting a company to do the right thing. I will also file a complaint with the company over the customer service rep.
on October 29, 2010
I just got this bag yesterday ($49.99 at Staples). What a find. I was on the verge of getting the Swissgear / Wenger Patriot for $100. I was struggling with bags because I need a really huge one and the measurements on the websites - I don't know if they're right but they didn't give me a good sense of how big the bag was. I had just ordered a Traveller's bag online the dimensions of which sounded like it would be pretty spacious and it arrived and lo and behold - no bigger than what I have now. So I went to the store to see for myself and discovered this bag. Very well designed and with a limited lifetime warranty just like the Swissgear Patriot (which is ranked #1 in this category on Amazon)

Anyway, what I wanted to add to all the other reviews is that (i) it's bigger than the Swissgear / Wenger Patriot -it's probably the most spacious bag around and (ii) it also has a strap, which the patriot doesn't - in case you ever need to carry it on your shoulder or hang it up somewhere (I hang it on my bike when riding to the train station).