4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job for me!
Published on August 8, 2010 by Inadaiz

1.0 out of 5 stars The TARGUS PLASTIC JUNK PLATE
Published on May 27, 2012 by Derek C. Doublin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars The TARGUS PLASTIC JUNK PLATE, May 27, 2012
Derek C. Doublin "Give me ALL the THINGS!" (Oklahoma City, Oklahoma United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Targus Compact Laptop Desk AWE56US-Black with Gray (Personal Computers)
My girlfriend has been through FOUR of these terrible, intolerable desks. Yes, FOUR. The dang things keep breaking and yet, she keeps buying them because they're one of the only thin, portable desks out there that will fit in her backpack. At this point I am going to strap her down and cut up all of her credit cards just to keep her from buying this worthless product anymore. The little, plastic riser that folds up and holds the top of the desk up has two, minuscule little plastic pegs that it pivots on. This allows you to collapse the desk which makes it portable. These little plastic pegs break off if you look at them weird. They break off if you BREATHE on them. I would go so far as to say that those little, plastic pegs break off if you even THINK about them. In fact, they will break off if you think about ANYTHING, really. If you think about Burt Reynolds or ice cream or our soldiers in Afghanistan, somewhere the pegs on a Targus Compact Laptop desk will snap. So, if you decided to buy this product, don't THINK ABOUT ANYTHING. Just sit there with a doglike grin on your face and drool. You can eat and move around if you want, but whatever you do, don't TOUCH THE DESK and don't THINK!

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't suit my needs due to design flaw, January 29, 2012
Since I'm one of the few people who like to use a mouse with my notebook (apparently), I thought this might be perfect since it has a 'built in mouse pad' on either side. This laptop was big enough for my notebook with extra room for the mouse, true, but the entire surface other than the mouse pads is an extremely slick plastic, not unlike Teflon. This caused my notebook to constantly slide down and into my lap since there is no bar or wrist-rest to stop it from doing so. If you tilt it up at all, your laptop/notebook will slide down - obviously this isn't an issue if you keep it perfectly flat, but who does that? I used it two or three times and sent it back.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but on the flimsy side, August 19, 2010
T. Dees (Brunswick GA) - See all my reviews
Perfect size for my Acer Aspire 7740 16.3 and room for my mouse! Folds down to fit in my bag for travel, keeps heat off your legs and was reasonably priced at a major retail office supply. However! The bottom is not contoured or padded and will leave marks on your unprotected legs. Come on Targus, you call this a lap desk? This is more like a desk top/laptop cooler! Could easyly be inproved on to be more comfortable on your lap.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job for me!, August 8, 2010
To be quite honest, it really is just a piece of folding plastic, HOWEVER, I really like it because I was dead-set on finding some sort of platform that had space for use of a mouse and that would fit comfortably on my lap. I like this stand - especially because I work from home and want to be able to just sit on my couch with my laptop and mouse and not at a desk. Most of the laptop stands I came across that had space for a mouse were either designed to be on a flat surface like a table or desk OR were the equivalent to using a breakfast tray which was not happening. Because it's basically a flat platform I can place my notebook fan (which is a little angled) and my 15.6 Compaq laptop on top of it and use my mouse as well! I can move it aside easily which is a plus. As another reviewer mentioned, it does feel a little flimsy so I would definitely not recommend it to people who have bigger, bulkier laptops.

2.0 out of 5 stars terrible compared to previous model, March 30, 2012
Compared to http://www.amazon.com/Targus-PA243U-Notebook-Portable-Lapdesk/dp/B0000A1EDV/ref=pd_cp_e_0, this is an inferior product. I own that previous model, and bought the new one since it looks slimmer and therefore seems like it would be easier to pack in my laptop bag. Held next to the previous model, when closed, it is the exact same thickness. However, the two real complaints I have are its slickness and its flimsiness (both mentioned in other reviews on here). I have the macbook pro 13", which weighs 4.5 lbs, and sitting with this thing opened on my lap, the computer was literally causing it to bow in the middle. In addition, the previous model has rubbery strips along its length which grip the computer and keep it from slipping. The new model has small bits of rubbery material along the edges which do nothing to keep the computer from sliding around. Compound this with being bowed from the weight of the laptop which prevents the middle rubber bits from contacting the computer and this is a practically useless product. I will investigate options for returning it to Amazon.

(I should add that the mousing surface is useful. I was able to open this device flat on the table of an airplane seat and use my portable mouse with it. but, that one 'pro' doesn't overcome this device's many other flaws.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very thin and not comfortable on your lap by itself, July 8, 2014
Very thin and not comfortable on your lap by itself. I had to put a pillow under it for use on my lap.

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible for lap setting, May 23, 2014
I ordered this because I was tired of lap desks full of beans that come out. The picture of the stand folded at an angle isn't as wide as the laptop, so it's only good for desktop use. For the lap, the whole thing has to be folded out flat and sets right on my legs. It is very nearly useless for my needs, as I don't work at a desk. When laid out flat, the plastic is somewhat flimsy, and I don't feel comfortable carrying my computer on it. Overall, I am extremely disappointed in what this product turned out to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give your laptop a lift., March 23, 2014
Purchased this to raise up my laptop to the same level as my Monitor. This unit adjusts easily and is very sturdy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very thin and light, March 15, 2014
Love this product. I can get over how thin and light it is. Easy to fold. Great for use for your laptop or tablet. Great for travel as well which was my reason for buying it in the first place.

2.0 out of 5 stars Left marks and heat on my leg, February 24, 2014
There are holes in the lapdesk that I think is supposed to give the laptop more air ventilation, however, this creates two problems. I can fill the heat on my leg, and the holes actually create marks on my leg.

The space for the mouse is a nice thing to have though.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›