Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Targus Digital 4 pack AA NiMH 2700 mAh Capacity Batteries
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

I received those Targus AA NiMH 2700 mAh Capacity Batteries together with the TG-LC2700 Charger. Right out of the package, those batteries were completely discharged. This is not surprising for high-capacity NiMH cells, because they suffer from rapid self-discharge problem. What is surprising is that: I placed those dead cells into the Targus '2-hour' charger, and the charging was done in less than 15 minutes. Something doesn't add up here.

I proceeded to analyze those cells using my La Crosse BC-900 Charger. I was shocked to find out that: the initial capacity of those cells were only 100-240mAh - less than 10% of the rated capacity. I can only imagine how a typical user would feel, when he/she uses those cells in a digital camera.

Lucky for me, the BC-900 has a Discharge/Refresh operation exactly for this situation. The capacity improved gradually with subsequent recharge cycles. After more than 12 cycles (which took several days), three of those cells reached 1740mAh and cannot be improved any further. The fourth one is slightly better at 1900mAh. Still, the average is only 2/3 that of the rated capacity of '2700mAh'.

So... I have wasted enough time on those poor-quality batteries with exaggerated capacity. But hopefully, you who read this don't have to go through the same trouble. Stay with low-self-discharge cells such as SANYO eneloop instead.
44 comments|13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 22, 2009
We also tried to use these batteries in our Canon 590IS and found that they lasted only a short time (maybe 10 pictures). We had purchased the batteries along with a Targus charger. We tried the batteries in a AA powered lint remover as well and had the same experience. They weren't strong enough to power the lint remover when pressed against the clothing. I'd love to find out why they're not working.
on January 15, 2009
I got these batteries 3 days ago. Put them on the charger and today put 2 of them in my Kodak PowerShot A590IS. I took 33 pictures. Then I went shopping and left the camera home. While I was cooking dinner I thought I would review the pictures. Turned the camera on and it flashed the change battery light at me.

So I changed over to the two others, and immediately the screen told me to change batteries. Those were dead too.

Tomorrow they are going back to the store. They are JUNK batteries.
on January 28, 2008
These were purchased for extra batteries for my camera, since I tend to run into dead batteries in the middle of the most inopportune times. They have perfomed exactly like I expected, and it is nice to have the spares on hand, when you are miles from a electrical plug.
on September 12, 2009
these batteries are excellent for applications that require high output, they do keep their charge when used with a nickel metal hydride battery charger, please charge the battery on slow level for about 8 to 10 hours when a recharge is needed and you will be pleased with the results
on February 25, 2008
I first got a four-pack and charger in 2001 for my Canon A-85.

I also got a four-pack of Evereadys. Though the same capacity, those
never lasted as long and gave out long ago.

I've got two more 4-packs of Merkurys a couple years ago and all
12 batteries are still chugging. The oldest are 2500mah and the
two new packs are 2600mah.

The Merkury charger plugs into
110v or 220v or the car. It works in all of them. It charges
two or 4 batteries. The charger and batteries have been around
the world a couple times.