1,181 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch cooling
I have a 17" macbook pro, so it's a behemoth of a laptop. And Apple's all aluminum enclosure sure looks slick, but man does it conduct the heat. You really don't want the thing on your lap w/o a stand, because it gets really red hot.

Published on December 14, 2009 by James A. Thomason III

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after 3 months
was OK to good for 3 months and then stopped working. the construction is such that you can't troubleshoot/repair in any practical way.

Published on November 15, 2010 by peter whitson

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch cooling, December 14, 2009
James A. Thomason III "jimt3" (Grayslake, IL United States) - See all my reviews

This is the 45h cooling stand I've had for this machine, and already by far the best. The previous two had three important issues - first was that they were small - designed for 15" notebooks, so there was a lot of overhang on mine. Annoying, but not the end of the world. More important was the fact that the power cable plugged into the edge of the stand and could be detached. Since I use my laptop on my lap, that connection tended to get bumped around a lot, and eventually the connection became so loose that the fan would only work intermittently and required fiddling to get going. That's why I replaced both of those - loose connection, no fan, no cooling.

This stand is a huge improvement.

First of all, the power cord is molded onto the stand, so I can't jar it loose like I could on the other stands. Plus, it's halfway up the back of the stand, so it'll be much harder to bump around anyway. So I shouldn't have the same issue I'd had in the past.

Second, it's huge. It fits my 17" laptop perfectly. No overhang. Obviously, this is really only a stand for a big laptop. If you've got a 15", the stand will be bigger than your machine.

Third, the wedge shaped cooling gives it a huge amount of space to pull air in from the sides. Like I said, I use my laptop on my lap. Previous models pulled air in from underneath. But since it was sitting on my lap, there was minimal airflow available. Now, since this one pulls in air from the sides, it really cools things off fast. Since I've had it, the laptop's internal fan has come on only once or twice. it used to come on all the time, even when the old stand's fan was working properly. So the cooling is top notch.

I have two complaints -

There's no power switch, so I need to unplug it to turn it off. A minor annoyance, but it'd be nice to have one.

And as others have said, the rubber bumpers to hold on the laptop are pretty lousy. I lost one within the first two days of getting the stand (I have no clue where), and they didn't do that great a job of holding up the laptop anyway. The laptop would tend to slide down the stand, even just during normal use, let alone when I moved it around. So that was unacceptable.

The fix was just to attach several rubber stick-on picture frame bumpers. Available at arts and crafts stores for about a buck for 16 or so, and 4 seem to do it. I had some sitting around from a previous stand that had the same issue. You will want to add your own bumpers.

But once those are on? it's a fantastic product. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, January 9, 2010
the chilling mat is awesome. my laptop is a 15 inch dell studio. and when i put it to work it gets HOT! so hot that my finger starts to burn on the mouse pad. so i definitely need something to keep it cool. i thought that my last chill mat did a good job. but this one is phenomenal. its 17 inches so i have extra room for my laptop. it has a very comfortable fabric underneath which is great for me because i always have it on my lap. it's slanted which is great. the usb cable that has to be plugged in for it to come, on is coming from the back of the chill mat so i don't have to worry about pulling it out like i did my last one. and after using it all day i felt under my laptop and it was actually cold. this is great and well worth the money paid for it

4.0 out of 5 stars The perfect laptop cooler (and lap-desk!)... but if it fails, you're out of luck., November 17, 2011
Cary L. Brown (San Antonio, TX) - See all my reviews
If you're considering buying one of these, you've likely read the reviews. There are a lot of very positive reviews, and quite a few negative reviews as well. And BOTH are right, for the most part.

The positives are very positive. This device is really well-made and well-designed. It is the only laptop cooler I know of which is practical for "lap-desk" use (say, sitting on your lap in a chair, or on top of your comforter in bed, for example). This is because the air flow is from the sides, rather than the bottom. It's a great design from that standpoint.

The neoprene "wrapping" makes it very comfortable on bare legs, if you wish, and equally "sticky" on a tabletop surface, even a glass one.

The top surface is a perforated grill, so there's convective airflow even where there is no fan. The fans are located in the spot where, on most laptops, the CPU and GPU (the main heat-sources) tend to be. But if you have a laptop where the highest-heat sources are lower on your machine, you won't get the full benefit of this device. It will still help a lot, in any case... but the fans blow where the CPU and GPU ("brain chip" and graphics chip) are normally located... as it should do!

I've seen a couple of reviews talking about the "cheap cable" (UNTRUE... it's perfect acceptable unless you swing the thing around by the cord!) or the "stops" on the top surface coming off after a short period of use. Well, those reviewers must have just abused this device, and are now whining that it's not "invulnerable." Ignore them. The device's construction is more than adequate unless you're one of those children who throws your toys against the wall then whines about them being "bad toys" for breaking.

In general, this is a near-ideal design. But it DOES have a drawback, and that drawback is not insignificant.

It's nearly impossible to repair this if it fails.

The device is not designed to be disassembled. Yes, it would be possible to do so, and to do so "safely," and to even reassemble it into fully-working order... but this is not trivial and would basically involve breaking portions of it and then repairing them using different techniques than were originally used to build it.

Why would you need to disassemble it? Well, if either of the fans fail (which is inevitably going to happen with a certain number of them in ANY production run).

But then again, the fans are also custom, and you can't just run to the corner shop and buy a replacement.

Basically, if the device fails, the device fails... and needs to be replaced. So, look closely at the warranty, and at Amazon's replacement policy. SOME of these will be defective, and will fail within the first several months. It's unavoidable... a matter of basic statistics. If you happen to be one of those who gets a rare defective one, you'll need to either be prepared to spend some time dealing with this (with Amazon or with the manufacturer) to get a replacement... or you'll just need to "write off" the cost (which I'd never do, personally).

There is no practical way to repair a failed device. And there will be occasional failed devices.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cooling Pad with "Legs", October 6, 2010
There are many "cooling" laptop pads out there. Some are pure junk, designed to stop functioning in a short period if they work as advertised at all.

Like others, I don't mind paying a little more for quality but at $35 this Targus Chill Mat AWE55US is an excellent value.

I purposely waited an extended period before writing my review. I'm now into my 8th month of very heavy use and it is still functioning the same way it did the day I received it. I use it with a heavy 17" laptop that generates a considerable amount of heat. It has exceeded my expectations as far as functionality and durability.

I can wholeheartedly recommend this cooling pad.

December 2012 Update:
Cooling pad has seen daily use, runs almost continuosly and to date it is still running perfectly.

UPDATE: April 2014
The Targus Chill Mat has finally started making the noise(bearing squeal) that signals it has reached the end of it's life. After many years of perfect function it will find its final resting place in the local landfill. As a result of my excellent experience I have replaced it with another Targus product, the triple fan HD3.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after 3 months, November 15, 2010
peter whitson (marathon, ny USA) - See all my reviews

fans are fixed, so if the notebook's heat isn't where the fan is, then you need to move the notebook around and hope. not great. it did adequately reduce the temp on my notebook for the 3 months it was working but it could have been much better imo.

it does have a nice design for use on desk or lap... comfortable on lap. that's about the best feature.

the grips that are supposed to keep the notebook from slipping came off after about two weeks- two of the four, anyway. So my notebook ended up sliding around on the mat quite a bit.

For the $35-$40 that this cost, I recommend that you try something else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, January 30, 2010
D. Kincaid (Kennewick, WA, US) - See all my reviews
I have been thru 3 of the $20 duel fan cheapos, they were worthless. I have had this unit for over a month, it runs perfect, and handles my HP Pavilion DV9000, a very heavy large 17" laptop. I paid $40 plus shipping, and it is worth every penny. 5 stars all the way.

Update....had this for 2 years, still working and I use it at least 5 days a week. Sold my HP and went to a Mac Pro 17", heavier than my Hp and this item has handled it well. I also have not had the issues with the rubber holders falling off, all 4 of mine are still there.

4.0 out of 5 stars One little flaw, July 18, 2010
Very quiet fans seem to do a good job at keeping things cool. Comfortable enough on the lap. The one little problem is with the design of the little rubber bumpers that mount in the vent holes on the top to serve as non-skid spacers for your computer. They can pop in and out of the holes so you can move them around to fit your individual computer's footprint. That's a good thing, but they pop out a little too easily and I've lost one from each of the two Lap Chill Mats I own. Luckily, I found and reinstalled them both. Now I keep a wary eye on these guys.

1.0 out of 5 stars avoid this item, poor quality causes fans to die and/or reduce output, September 2, 2010
I don't recommend buying this mat. Mine worked well at first but after about 2 months the fans are wearing out, getting louder, and one seems about to give up! It's not built to last. Also did not quite fit my 17" Asus laptop, and the USB cord is too short for some - on my laptop I can only fit on one side which can be inconvenient.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lasted 6 months, November 26, 2010
A Kid's Review
I should have heeded other reviews. Several said that this cooling pad didn't last. I thought they weren't taking good care of it. They were right and I was wrong.

The cooling pad worked beautifully for just over 6 months and died without any warning.

I love the styling of the pad. It's big enough for my computer. The sloping design is really nice. Sadly, none of that matters if the machine doesn't work.

(I did buy this from Amazon.)

1.0 out of 5 stars looks good but does not cool laptop, March 20, 2010
I bought this Targus Lap Chill Mat after reading all of the good reviews and the design looked like it would be a great product. The item arrived very fast from Amazon, with in about three days from the day I made the order. The Targus Lap Chill Mat looked a little flimsy and it is all plastic. Even the cooling grate is plastic instead of aluminum like other high quality coolers. The USB cord is about the right length and is able to connect to either USB port on my Sony Vaio laptop (has 2 USB ports on both sides of the laptop). The shape looks like it would be very efficient, but it isn't.

I decided to test this cooler by playing an online game that usually heats up my laptop to see if the cooler would keep the laptop from getting hot. I could not tell a difference from the laptop tempature from using the cooler or with out. The fan is quiet and it does not seem to move much air at all. I could barely tell that the fan of the cooler was actually doing anything. My laptop still felt hot to the touch and the exhaust port on the laptop still blowing out hot air as if I was not even using the Targus laptop cooler. I had a cheaper laptop cooler years ago that had duel fans with variable speeds and it actually cooled my laptop. I could tell a difference between the temperature of the laptop with or with out that old cheapo cooler. I do not recommend buying the Targus Lap Chill Mat. I am still looking for a laptop cooler that will actually work and not cost a lot of money.