4.0 out of 5 stars Better than some others, but still not perfect for writing.
Here's what I found after trying a multitude of styluses (or is it styli?) after buying an iPad 2. I wanted to use an iPad as a sketch book and the pad like it's name...and go digital rather than filling up notebook after notebook. So the perfect stylus has to feel like a pen and work well enough on the screen to give the tactile feel of drawing or writing on paper...
Published on March 27, 2011 by AmazonDiva

1.0 out of 5 stars Make sure you are buying and shipping from Amazon
Published on June 13, 2011 by Fletch

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than some others, but still not perfect for writing., March 27, 2011
This review is from: Targus Stylus for iPad, iPhone, iPod, Samsung Tablets, Smartphones and Other Touch Screen Devices, Black (AMM01US) (Personal Computers)

I learned that styluses tips are of 2 main types - fuzzy fabric and rubber - with some additional quirky ones made of metal (O-Stylus) or even sausage (supposed to work like your finger!).
--Fabric tips:
Pogo stylus- also used by Apple Geniuses - have a fabric tip that's great for typing or selecting or gaming even but not so good for writing or sketching anything more complex than a smiley face.
Sock Stylus - There is a seller on etsy who is selling sock styluses with conductive fabric "sock" stretched over a wooden quill which has been sawed off for the perfect length. I found that stylus a little less sensitive than the Targus and you have to hold it at a certain angle for best results. However, if you're writing pages worth of notes on iPad then it tends to make the hand less tired than the Targus as Targus has a squishy rubber tip that can cause some fatigue.

There are other fuzzy fabric styluses out there sold by small stores - like the ones by the guy who has been advertising on all Mac forums and posting pictures of his store in competitors' item images. They claim that they have the best yet but I haven't tried those yet.
--Rubber tips:
The Targus in question has a rubber tip. Please check my uploaded pic for size comparison against some other styluses.

The rubber tip on this stylus looks pretty thick but is still thinner than our fingers. The problem is that it does block the view when writing or sketching just like our finger. There is also another 2nd gen ACase that has tried to eliminate some of that by creating a longer stylus and a thinner and longer rubber tip but failed to deliver as the thinner tip had to be held at certain angles to write well and became more squishy and less natural.

This Targus has been the best of the 4-5 styluses I tried so far (refer to the pic) overall as it is the most responsive of all and has a matte finish stem rather than ACase's smooth finish which makes it a little less slippery to hold. The iPad 2 is already so slinky, I don't want to worry about dropping the stylus too!! It performed well on Penultimate and UPad writing apps and SketchBook Express the sketching app and captured light strokes as well as the heavier strokes. The performance was a lot better than the Acase 2nd Generation Apple iPad / iPhone / iPod Capacitive Stylus (Jet Black) Newest Modeland a shade better than the Acase 2 in 1 Stylus + Pen for Apple iPad 16GB, 32GB, 64GB WiFi + 3G, iPad 2, iPhone, iPod, Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy, BlackBerry Playbook (Black). And don't even bother trying the really cheap ones 3 Pack (Red + Black + Silver) of Universal Touch Screen Stylus Pen for Apple iPod Touch 2nd 3rd 4th Gen, iPhone 3G 3GS 4th Gen Generation, they're perhaps ok for tapping a little but not for writing or sketching. Although some people have suggested on forums that roughing up the rubber tip of the cheap styluses with a sandpaper makes them work better.

I've also heard good things about the Boxwave and Alupen but haven't tested them so I can't say if they're better than Targus.

So there you have it, Targus was the winner in writing and sketching on iPad but still not the perfect stylus as it is not as responsive as I would like. I'm still looking for that perfect stylus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Amazing!, November 15, 2010
I have been using a Pogo Sketch for quite some time and I can assure you that the Targus stylus beats the Pogo and every other stylus hands down! In fact, I recently was employed by one of the largest wireless carriers in their marketing department and worked closely with the person responsible for buying all accessories that are sold in our stores. She had tested and trialed dozens of styluses a d had determined that pogo was the best available stylus at the time. Last month, I visited her and showed her the Targus stylus. Like me, she was blown away. She is now going to contact Targus for samples to put through their tests. It works great with iPhone and iPad -- and especially great with Penultimate. It is high-quality and feels great in my hand. It is as thick as a normal ballpoint pen, and the clip is made of sturdy metal (not cheap plastic like the Pogo). The tip is soft rubber, but not at all sticky like some other inferior rubber styluses). Using this on an ipad is so silky smooth and a pleasure to use. Buy this, you will not be disappointed!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Make sure you are buying and shipping from Amazon, June 13, 2011
Buyer beware! Genuine Targus products work well and are a good value so this is not a ding on Targus, didn't really want the product to have one star but wanted future buyers to be careful. Recently I purchase two of these for my wife and myself from Amazon and was surprised to find out they were actually shipping thru one of their retailers called Asecshop all the way from Hong Kong. They were in bubble wrap in a small manila envelope and no the Targus name was not on anything including the product. After a recent trip to to a big box store who sells genuine Targus items my suspicions were confirmed, what I received was in deed counterfeit. When my items arrived looking like something you would expect to receive from ebay not Amazon. I left a similar statement on the Asecshop feedback page as well and I was not alone with this type of behavior, lots of folks complaining about counterfeit goods being sold and described as the original article. look similar to Targus in shape but they are clearly not genuine Targus. I have reported this to Amazon and the are supposedly looking in to it, I hope they correct this and do a better job of setting up there retailers in the future. ebay use to be reputable too until they started letting everyone sell all their knock off products on there, now you never know what you are going to get. Just my two cents, but I will only purchase products in the future that ship directly from Amazon"s Distribution Centers. One bad apple.......

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Accessory, October 18, 2010
This stylus is smaller and more precise than my finger, and keeps the screen cleaner. It also works with a touch screen mobile phone and easily distinguishes between a touch and a swipe. Best of all is when using Pages or Numbers on an iPad, as one can hit the small icons with ease. The hemispherical tip ensures contact over a wide range of angles so the stylus can be held as one would a regular pen.

The stylus has a quality appearance with a chrome accent and a metal pocket clip. The top of the pen has a small hole through which a lanyard may be attached. It is only available in black, but that does not detract from its functionality. It is an excellent and inexpensive accessory for the iPad.

Update: After six months of daily use, the rubber tip has perished and the stylus must be replaced. Its replacement will be a stylus with a longer lasting polymeric material and not one with soft rubber.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Stylus -- beats raw bacon all hollow, November 18, 2010
At a staff meeting a couple weeks ago, we sat around comparing iPad accessories. Everyone agreed that a stylus was a must have for senior software architects with large and somewhat stiff fingers. (God only knows what we have done to stiffen them.) We passed around 3 or 4 different styluses. The general agreement was that the Targus was the best. The tip is has the right degree of softness and the clip is well designed. The electrical engineer who held out for a rolled up piece of raw bacon was ignored. I ordered a Targus stylus because it was sold out locally. It does work well. My only complaint is the silly string. The latch is hard to work and a stylus dangling on a two inch thread is wrong in many ways. The problem is easily and completely solved by throwing the string away.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great stylus for Ipad handwriting recognition apps. It's safe to use without a screen protector!, March 6, 2011
This stylus does the job! I bought the Targus stylus primarily for two iPad apps: 'Write Pad' - the leading handwriting recognition app for the iPad and, 'Penultimate' - a really cool app to write notes directly on my iPad (and save them as PDF files). The Targus stylus is actually much more responsive than the Pogo Sketch stylus recommended by 'Penultimate'!

SEE MY PHOTOS IN CUSTOMER IMAGES

PROS:
The stylus has a soft, durable rubber tip that won't scratch the screen (I prefer to use my iPad without any screen protector). Durability is not an issue ... this stylus is well made!

The yielding rubber tip is comfortable to use with the iPad's capacitive touch surface. I quickly adjusted to writing and doing simple drawings with this stylus.

Although the iPad is a touch screen device, using the stylus in other apps certainly helps in keeping the screen smudge-free!

I use my stylus to play the iPad version of the word game 'Boggle'. The stylus not only helps keep the screen clean, but I can link the 'Boggle' words much faster with the stylus instead of swiping by hand! :))

In cold weather, using my iPad or iPod Touch screen becomes a problem. Unless I am wearing capacitive touch screen gloves, then I must first remove my regular gloves to use the Touch Screen. The solution? Keep my regular gloves on and use my stylus :))

The Black Targus Stylus has a nice classic appearance. Also, the attractive pricing by Amazon makes this stylus a must-buy . Although, I usually choose the more fashionista colors, I would in this case, recommend choosing this stylus in basic black - for the $avings! :))

CONS:
I find the stylus a bit too short. Add another half inch and this would be the perfect capacitive stylus!

A cover/cap would protect the stylus rubber tip, especially if your stylus gets knocked around in your bag.

For these two cons, I knocked off one star - a bit too harsh though, for a truly superior stylus. If it were possible to do so, I would give it a 4.5 STAR RATING!

EDIT AUG 2011: I recently bought the 'electric blue' stylus for my iPod Touch. It looks great in my shirt pocket!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not an authentic Targus, August 9, 2012
I ordered the Targus Stylus AMM0105US (Silver) for $9.02. What I received was a 4.4-inch stylus with no brand name on it. It was identical (except for color) to the generic styluses I had purchased earlier from Amazon at three for one dollar. These generic styluses do not glide as easily over my Kindle Fire screen as the authentic 5.2-inch Targus stylus I bought at Staples.

I returned the bogus "Targus" stylus. Buyer beware!

UPDATE: After returning the bogus silver version, I ordered the green version: Targus Stylus for Apple iPad, iPad 2, new iPad (3rd Generation), 16GB, 32GB, 64GB WiFi + 4G, iPhone, iPod, and Tablets - Green (AMM0102US). This is the real thing: 5.2 inches long, "Targus" stamped on the clip, packaged in a rigid plastic container. Its quality is much better than that of the knockoff silver version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect, June 10, 2011
I have now purchased four of these stylus's (two for me, and two as gifts) and without a doubt, this is the one of the better purchases I've made for my iPad 2. It's funny, but it seems that every time I buy an Apple product, I wind up buying piles of cases, covers, protectors, stylus's, adapters, mounts, etc before I finally find the items that I like. In this case, I got lucky on the 2nd try!

Pros: This stylus writes very smoothly and accurately, doesn't require a lot of pressure and glides easily. I use Noteshelf to take notes in meetings and for jotting things down while I'm both at my desk and roaming around. It is small, but usable, and easy to drop in a pocket. My father has very large fingers and his hands tend to shake a bit, and when I recently bought him an iPod Touch, he had a terrible time using the keyboard or selecting things. I bought him one of these and he loves it! It has a nice feel - solid and well-built.

Cons: It's a little short for my taste. but on the flip side, this also means that it's easy to carry around. Unfortunately, it's also easy to misplace. The only other thing that is marginally negative is that the shirt clip is a little tight. I don't mind this too much, but if you want to clip it to your iPad cover, then the cover better be really thin!

One other comment: I am a pen-turner, so I have experimented with adapting this stylus to a full-sized pen. It's actually quite nice. One of the reasons I know that this stylus is well-built is that in modifying it to be used in the pen, I cut one in half. The shaft appears to be a good-quality brass tubing. With the clip section removed, it adapted nicely to replace the nib section of a fountain-pen I made of South American Cocobolo wood. Talk about a conversation piece! Not only does it look nice, but this also gives me a cap to cover and protect the tip and I get the excellent writing capability of the Targus stylus! So if you're into that kind of thing, don't be afraid to experiment! This isn't that expensive if you buy it on Amazon (versus in the big-box store where you'll pay double what Amazon charges).

I strongly recommend this product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very smooth, February 22, 2011
Jdohboy (VANCOUVER, WA, US) - See all my reviews
Love the way the rubber tip glides across the screen even with my invisible shield adding a little more resistance.
The foam rubber from other company's stylus tips I tried catch and pull but not the Targus.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for iPad, December 15, 2010
When I saw the Targus Stylus, I thought it might help me be more involved with my iPad. It has increased my use of the iPad by letting me write emails without a bunch of corrections caused by hitting 2 keys with my fingers. I also don't accidentally delete emails or insert the wrong contact. This is a must to maximize enjoyment of the iPad.

Robert H