5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice redesign
I owned the previous model of this item; it lasted a couple of years despite abuse like setting it and the laptop down running and forgetting 'em overnight or longer. Let's hope this one is as durable. I've only had it a few hours, but I'm quite impressed with several improvements so far.

First and most obvious, a lip to prevent the laptop sliding off when...
Published 22 months ago by Pieter B

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice design but doesn't cool well
I bought this particular model because the reviews on the earlier model were good, and this size fit my laptop perfectly. The design may be stylish, as stated, and while it is nice that you can change the angle, and the bottom is comfortably padded for my legs, it does not do what it was made to do - COOL the computer.

One of the main problems is that in this...
Published 23 months ago by FinanceAdvisorandTheaterPerformer

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice design but doesn't cool well, August 17, 2012
This review is from: Targus Space Saving Lap Chill Mat for Laptop up to 17-Inch, Gray/Black (AWE80US) (Personal Computers)

One of the main problems is that in this newer model the fans only cover part of the computer, and do not offer much cooling even in those areas. You get just a light breeze. I checked my computer after a while, and still as hot as ever, even with having the Chill Mat going from the moment it was turned on. When I moved the computer to different areas to get the fans exposed to particular "hot spots", it did help, but then it was half falling off the mat, since that wasn't how the computer was designed to be placed on it.

Pros: lip to prevent computer from slipping, adjustable angle, low noise, comfortable
Cons: Fans cover too small an area and don't cool much at all

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice redesign, September 17, 2012
Pieter B (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews

First and most obvious, a lip to prevent the laptop sliding off when you're using it in bed with the mat propped up against your thigh (like I am right now). The rubber pads which create space for airflow between the fans and the bottom of your laptop are permanently attached and won't fall off. They're also larger, and in combination with the lip keep your laptop in place much better. It has an adjustment to make it a bit flatter and more compact for packing as well as angle adjustment when used on a table or desk. The power cord stows and fastens inside to keep it from getting tangled in stuff when you slip it into your backpack or carry-on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet, Cools 17" Laptop, Love It, August 25, 2013
Decided my laptop needed a chill mat, as the bottom would become quite warm when in use. I chose this mat based on where the laptop seemed to be heating up (just left of center), and because it stated it would work for a 17" computer.

Works perfect. Does an excellent job as my laptop no longer is warm on the bottom. Always seem to use it extended open. Fans are quiet when laptop is sitting on mat. Have a bit more noise when no computer is on it. Very comfortable in my lap even with shorts. Has spongy padding on the bottom where it rests on your legs, as well as the area the laptop sits on. No vibrations or rattling.

Yes, the laptop does extend past the mat about an inch on each side, but this has not been a problem for me. I know to feel for the mat edges when picking both up and always slide my fingers into the mat opening. Perhaps that is why I always have it extended open. Closed, it would be a bit precarious to carry around when simply holding from the bottom. Have no doubt I would drop one or the other in short order.

Have not had any problems, but have only had about a month, so cannot speak of it's longevity. Have forgotten to unplug it and it has ran continuously for 24 hours. Doesn't seem worse for wear.

I highly recommend purchasing a chill mat for your laptop. I'm surprised at how warm they become even though they have their own internal fan/s. When looking for a chill mat, I paid attention to where my laptop would heat up and made sure the chill mat had openings/fans where my laptop needed them. Chill mats have openings and fans in differing locations, so please keep that in mind when purchasing one for yourself. Some are nearer the top, others the middle or lower, and some even have moveable fans so they can be placed wherever you need them. Then there are those that only have a fan centered in the middle. Make sure you know where your laptop is going to need them and buy accordingly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good product, August 7, 2012
Scott St Onge (Corpus Christi, Texas) - See all my reviews
This thing works really, really well. I was struggling with a whole lot of heat coming down into my lap. I used pillows and that helped but that was a hassle- having to flip them every ten minutes. Even then there was a lot of heat. This product works very well. I would say I now have 80-90% of the heat removed. Love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great chill mat!, September 15, 2012
Saw this at Best Buy but I didn't want to pay $40. Great buy at $24.00. My laptop stays nice and cool. The lip at the front of the mat keeps my laptop from slipping. The twist knob at the back pops it up and allows me to view my screen at the perfect angle. Love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A cool laptop chill mat - Amazon does it again, September 14, 2012
I have a 17" laptop so this size was perfect for me. I have had it about a month now and am completly satisfied . I like the fact that I am able to condense the mat so that it lies flat for traveling. So far, no complaints.

1.0 out of 5 stars broke, March 15, 2013
after a great month of using this item one of the fans began making a really loud noise. unfortunately this occurred after the last day i could return it. ended up removing fan and now it works fine but only has one fan.

3.0 out of 5 stars Returning for better product., September 1, 2012
When I did the research on laptop coolers this seemed to be the one for me, I agree with all reviews except the 5 star fans are very slow and the size is small it wouldn't fit a 17 inch anything. I have a 15" and it hangs over half inch on both sides. Its not worth 32 bucks either. Honestly, the only positive thing I can say about it is the rubber pads do in fact keep your computer from sliding around. oh, and legs still get hot!

5.0 out of 5 stars This rocks!, November 22, 2012
I had the earlier version that I had picked up at Staples (or somewhere similar)
and it's design was horrible. The wiring came out of the back, it stayed one size,
(no flip up option to increase air flow), no tray, etc. I had to modify it.
This one is all I could have asked for. They addressed every one of the old issues
and the redesign is awesome. It holds the laptop securely, has great airflow and
the tilt option is also extremely useful. The wiring comes out of the inside and goes
either way according to where you need to input your USB. The material used is
grippable while still remaining smooth enough to slide if needed. Easily cleanable
and just downright functional. I'd buy another one tomorrow if I had to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, August 2, 2013
Thank you for existing!! I have an 18inch notebook i got a few years back an i had a cooler for it but my puppy chewed the chord sadly! haha so i looked on here an i found this beauty!! i love how im able to tilt it up if i need to or just have it flat (which i prefer seeing as though im sitting in my bed half the time while using it) but yes! its great, i can even feel the fans on my hand! Very useful indeed!

Rate and Discover Movies