Showing 1-10 of 211 reviews(4 star)show all reviews
Here's what I found after trying a multitude of styluses (or is it styli?) after buying an iPad 2. I wanted to use an iPad as a sketch book and the pad like it's name...and go digital rather than filling up notebook after notebook. So the perfect stylus has to feel like a pen and work well enough on the screen to give the tactile feel of drawing or writing on paper.

I learned that styluses tips are of 2 main types - fuzzy fabric and rubber - with some additional quirky ones made of metal (O-Stylus) or even sausage (supposed to work like your finger!).
--Fabric tips:
Pogo stylus- also used by Apple Geniuses - have a fabric tip that's great for typing or selecting or gaming even but not so good for writing or sketching anything more complex than a smiley face.
Sock Stylus - There is a seller on etsy who is selling sock styluses with conductive fabric "sock" stretched over a wooden quill which has been sawed off for the perfect length. I found that stylus a little less sensitive than the Targus and you have to hold it at a certain angle for best results. However, if you're writing pages worth of notes on iPad then it tends to make the hand less tired than the Targus as Targus has a squishy rubber tip that can cause some fatigue.

There are other fuzzy fabric styluses out there sold by small stores - like the ones by the guy who has been advertising on all Mac forums and posting pictures of his store in competitors' item images. They claim that they have the best yet but I haven't tried those yet.
--Rubber tips:
The Targus in question has a rubber tip. Please check my uploaded pic for size comparison against some other styluses.

The rubber tip on this stylus looks pretty thick but is still thinner than our fingers. The problem is that it does block the view when writing or sketching just like our finger. There is also another 2nd gen ACase that has tried to eliminate some of that by creating a longer stylus and a thinner and longer rubber tip but failed to deliver as the thinner tip had to be held at certain angles to write well and became more squishy and less natural.

This Targus has been the best of the 4-5 styluses I tried so far (refer to the pic) overall as it is the most responsive of all and has a matte finish stem rather than ACase's smooth finish which makes it a little less slippery to hold. The iPad 2 is already so slinky, I don't want to worry about dropping the stylus too!! It performed well on Penultimate and UPad writing apps and SketchBook Express the sketching app and captured light strokes as well as the heavier strokes. The performance was a lot better than the Acase 2nd Generation Apple iPad / iPhone / iPod Capacitive Stylus (Jet Black) Newest Modeland a shade better than the Acase 2 in 1 Stylus + Pen for Apple iPad 16GB, 32GB, 64GB WiFi + 3G, iPad 2, iPhone, iPod, Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy, BlackBerry Playbook (Black). And don't even bother trying the really cheap ones 3 Pack (Red + Black + Silver) of Universal Touch Screen Stylus Pen for Apple iPod Touch 2nd 3rd 4th Gen, iPhone 3G 3GS 4th Gen Generation, they're perhaps ok for tapping a little but not for writing or sketching. Although some people have suggested on forums that roughing up the rubber tip of the cheap styluses with a sandpaper makes them work better.

I've also heard good things about the Boxwave and Alupen but haven't tested them so I can't say if they're better than Targus.

So there you have it, Targus was the winner in writing and sketching on iPad but still not the perfect stylus as it is not as responsive as I would like. I'm still looking for that perfect stylus.
review image
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 19, 2010
At a staff meeting a couple weeks ago, we sat around comparing iPad accessories. Everyone agreed that a stylus was a must have for senior software architects with large and somewhat stiff fingers. (God only knows what we have done to stiffen them.) We passed around 3 or 4 different styluses. The general agreement was that the Targus was the best. The tip is has the right degree of softness and the clip is well designed. The electrical engineer who held out for a rolled up piece of raw bacon was ignored. I ordered a Targus stylus because it was sold out locally. It does work well. My only complaint is the silly string. The latch is hard to work and a stylus dangling on a two inch thread is wrong in many ways. The problem is easily and completely solved by throwing the string away.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This stylus does the job! I bought the Targus stylus primarily for two iPad apps: 'Write Pad' - the leading handwriting recognition app for the iPad and, 'Penultimate' - a really cool app to write notes directly on my iPad (and save them as PDF files). The Targus stylus is actually much more responsive than the Pogo Sketch stylus recommended by 'Penultimate'!

SEE MY PHOTOS IN CUSTOMER IMAGES

PROS:
The stylus has a soft, durable rubber tip that won't scratch the screen (I prefer to use my iPad without any screen protector). Durability is not an issue ... this stylus is well made!

The yielding rubber tip is comfortable to use with the iPad's capacitive touch surface. I quickly adjusted to writing and doing simple drawings with this stylus.

Although the iPad is a touch screen device, using the stylus in other apps certainly helps in keeping the screen smudge-free!

I use my stylus to play the iPad version of the word game 'Boggle'. The stylus not only helps keep the screen clean, but I can link the 'Boggle' words much faster with the stylus instead of swiping by hand! :))

In cold weather, using my iPad or iPod Touch screen becomes a problem. Unless I am wearing capacitive touch screen gloves, then I must first remove my regular gloves to use the Touch Screen. The solution? Keep my regular gloves on and use my stylus :))

The Black Targus Stylus has a nice classic appearance. Also, the attractive pricing by Amazon makes this stylus a must-buy . Although, I usually choose the more fashionista colors, I would in this case, recommend choosing this stylus in basic black - for the $avings! :))

CONS:
I find the stylus a bit too short. Add another half inch and this would be the perfect capacitive stylus!

A cover/cap would protect the stylus rubber tip, especially if your stylus gets knocked around in your bag.

For these two cons, I knocked off one star - a bit too harsh though, for a truly superior stylus. If it were possible to do so, I would give it a 4.5 STAR RATING!

EDIT AUG 2011: I recently bought the 'electric blue' stylus for my iPod Touch. It looks great in my shirt pocket!
review image review image
on April 6, 2012
While this stylus works well, I will be looking for one that is very responsive to writing on my iPad 3.

I purchased this stylus for business purposes while on the go. I found it to be very good for sketching simple drawings however, I wish it was better at writing. I find the tip to be a bit large (as most others) therefore it's hard to see what/where you are writing, and it could be a little more responsive in my opinion.

The stylus itself feels great in my hand; not too light and not bulky. The clip allows it to attach to a number of my cases or within my handbag when it doesn't attach to a case.

All in all, I think this is a good stylus, but I will continue to look for one that suits my writing needs.

What I would like to see in a stylus:
Increased responsiveness
Same weight and size as this stylus
A tip that resembles one of a pencil
A solid (not hollow) tip
on December 1, 2010
The stylus is advertised for use with the iPad, but I purchased it for my s10-3t tablet/laptop. This stylus exceeded my expectations. It does not require much pressure and it leaves no smudges on a clean screen. It is easy to take notes with as long as you are used to not resting your hand on the screen while you write. Another nice touch was the headphone jack lanyard thing. It really helped so I didn't lose the stylus. The only small problem with this is that it is an inch too short for my taste. Even so, It works wonderfully.
on January 9, 2011
This stylus is identical to those from Griffin and Acase and also sold on Amazon. (I have all three side by side in front of me.) I believe the Boxwave stylus is also the same. The barrel is 4" long (plus the rounded tip), and is quite light. I prefer the pen-stylus from several suppliers including Acase and Boxwave, which is slightly longer (4 1/2" barrel), heavier, and has a pen included, but the same tip.
on April 7, 2012
this stylus has a nice weight and feel. the clip does not get in my way when using it. overall a good purchase for my ipad2.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Capacitive styluses are not all alike. Besides color, there are subtle differences in sensitivity, length, barrel size, weight, and attachment clips or lanyards. This Targus stylus, which is 4.75" long (exclusive of the capacitive tip) is quite a good one, in terms of sensitivity. Screens slide with minimal pressure, and selections register with only a light touch or tap.

Compared to other styluses that I tested, the Targus stylus is the longest, has the widest barrel, and is the heaviest. The weight makes it tiring for me to use, but some individuals (men, perhaps?) may prefer a heftier, more "substantial" stylus like this one. Because of the wider barrel, the tip is also wider, which makes it slightly less accurate for selecting small targets (e.g., links displayed in web browsers in tiny fonts). The extra length is a plus, if you hold a stylus like a pointer (away from the tip), rather than like a pencil (close to the tip).

This stylus has both a pocket clip and a metal attachment "loop" (for attaching to a lanyard or keychain). I purchased mine at a local office supplies store. Besides this stylus, I tested the MiniSuit Universal Capacitive Stylus Pen, the BoxWave Capacitive Kindle Fire Stylus, and the AmazonBasics Stylus for Touchscreen Devices. My favorite is the AmazonBasics Stylus, because of its 4.25 " length, slim barrel, light weight, and excellent sensitivity. I rate this stylus at 4 stars ("I like it") rather than 5 stars ("I love it"), because I like the AmazonBasics stylus slightly better.

In case you're wondering, as I was, what a "capacitive" stylus is, it is a human interface device (e.g., a mouse) that uses "capacitive sensing" to measure changes of position on a touchscreen. It works just like a human finger on a touchscreen device, and you can often get more accurate navigation using a stylus. Wikipedia has good articles on capacitive sensing and capacitive devices.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
After considering various styli and reading these products reviews, I decided purchase the Targus Stylus over many other options. The Targus Stylus for iPad, made in Taiwan, is designed to work on all touchscreen devices, won't scratch or mark your screen, and includes a 1 year limited warranty. On one end of the pen like metal shaft is a pocket clip and a hole for a lanyard (not included), and the other a hollow soft rubber tip.

When the stylus arrived in July 2011, it failed to live up to the positive reviews. The Targus stylus, at 4 3/8 inches long, felt small in the hand and I had to mash the tip to get accurate response. I was regularly losing the stylus, and when located it was easier to avoid its use. Even so, by October 2011, the rubber tip ripped apart. I debated throwing the stylus away, but chose to give the warranty process a chance.

I contacted Targus regarding my warranty claim through a web based form. A warranty claims advisor contacted me by email and asked a couple questions. Once I replied, instructions were provided for obtaining a warranty replacement. I mailed the stylus to Targus as instructed and a week or so later I received a new Stylus.

This stylus looked like the one I sent in, but it was 3/4 inch longer. This new length doesn't seem like much, but it's more comfortable to use. I've been able to keep track of this one as well, although I'm not sure why that is. Additionally I no longer had to mash the tip to get accurate response. This new Targus stylus may not appear to be, but is greatly improved.

While I wouldn't recommend the original Targus stylus, the new version is well worth the purchase. The warranty process was painless and quick; clearly Targus makes a strong effort to ensure customer satisfaction. If you're looking for a good stylus, look no further. Just be certain you're buying the new version.

PROS:
Now3/4 inch longer
Works on any captive touch surfaces
Won't scratch or mark your screen
Responsive warranty claims process
1 year limited warranty

CONS:
Warranty requires shipping at your own expense
on October 17, 2011
I have tried several styli recently. This one is the older Targus. The newer Targus stylus -- optimized for Smart Covers -- is an inch longer and the clip is designed to tuck under an iPad smart cover fold crease, as well as magnetically stick to the outside of the smart cover. The newer version ($5 more) is easier to use for larger hands, and much easier to attach to an iPad smart cover. That said, both versions are really nice for writing on the iPad. Better than others I have tried, which are too big in the barrel or to resistant in sliding on the iPad surface. The new one gets five stars.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations