Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Indie for the Holidays in Prime Music Outdoor Deals on HTL

on March 16, 2012
The case arrived last night, and the iPad 3rd gen about an hour ago. I loved the iPad 2 case, so I was thrilled to find that Targus were making a version for the 3rd gen. VI bought an iPad 2 and the Versavu 360 on the day the iPad 2 was released, and didn't have any problems, so I had no problem doing the same thing again. I considered keeping the iPad 2 case, but since the devices are slightly different in size, I figured it may not fit the 3, and the new case also included some features I wanted:

- stylus holder (mine was clipped to the 'spine' of the old case, and kept getting dislodged
- magnetic cover
- it has 3 notches instead of 2 upon which to rest the iPad at an angle. I frequently found the angles offered by the previous version to be slightly too high or too low, and a 'between' setting would have been perfect. The notches are also more angular - I frequently propped the iPad up at an angle, only to have it slide out of the notch a few seconds later because the edges of the notch were fairly soft and rounded.

The interior feels about the same as the last one, although it doesn't look nearly as nice - it was previously a blue/turquoise velvety material. The material may be the same, but it's now gray, and has an odd look - as if the fibers coming off the dark gray background have been lightened by wear - it actually looks like it would be abrasive to the touch. I noticed this on the Targus site before ordering, and hoped it would look better in person, but alas no. At least it feels as smooth as the previous one, so it will do the same job of not scuffing up the screen.

The first thing I did, before I even plugged the iPad in to sync, was to put it in the case. You can imagine the eyebrow-furrowing that went on when I realized that it doesn't snap right in, as the iPad 2 used to. It actually seemed a little small - I had to apply some force to get the lip of the black plastic backing to clip over the edge of the iPad and hold it in place. Oh well, I thought, it's not as though I remove it very often. So, I plugged it in to sync, went about other tasks, then noticed some minutes later that it had silently extricated itself from the case. Further attempts to remove and re-fit it yielded the same results - it won't stay in.

I trundled back to the Amazon site to see if anyone had mentioned this in a review - nobody else had, thus far, however all the reviews mentioned that the magnetic catch doesn't lock the screen. I tried it, just for giggles, and sure enough, it didn't work.

The good news is that Targus appear to be aware of these problems and are working on a solution. I contacted their support team via live chat from their website, and they confirmed that both were known issues, and that I could either return it, or wait, and I'd be contacted by email when they fix it (since I provided my email address when contacting support - I don't think they'll automatically contact all customers who bought one). I opted for the latter, within the confines of the 30 day return period. Hopefully it'll all be sorted out within the month...

[UPDATED March 16th] A friend with the same iPad 2 case also got an iPad 3 today, and brought in both iPads (I already sold mine before the 3 arrived, so I wasn't able to try the iPad 2 case with the 3). We tried her iPad 3 in the case for the iPad 2, and it was identical to the iPad 3 case - almost fits, but not quite. As another reviewer noted, however, the iPad 2 fits perfectly in the iPad 3 case - the magnet feature is a bit hit-or-miss, but I did actually see it work, which hasn't been the case with the 3. Given that lots of other reviewers are mentioning that it does fit properly, I wonder if Targus shipped a batch with the plastic fitment sized for the iPad 2, rather than the iPad 3, and I just happen to be amongst the unlucky bunch of recipients.

[UPDATED March 19th] Targus contacted me this morning to offer me a refund, an alternate model, or if I want to wait 6-8 weeks, a replacement Versavu which will actually fit (my words, not theirs!). I opted for the latter, and don't even have to return this case when the new one arrives! Thus far, their customer service has proven excellent (I got connected to a live chat on their website fairly quickly on day the iPad was released - sounds like some others were not so lucky). I've bumped the rating to 3 stars, as the case is still usable - with care, as the iPad can still "pop out" - and their offer to replace the case without requiring me to go through the hassle of returning the one I have is very generous. I haven't had any problems with battery life due to the cover turning the iPad on by mistake - the first thing I did when I read another review mentioning this problem was to disable the magnetic on/off feature in the iPad's settings (Settings > General > iPad Cover Lock/Unlock. Hopefully the replacement will be a perfect fit and work as originally advertised.

[UPDATED May 24th] The replacement case arrived on my doorstep a few weeks ago - it's definitely an improvement over the ill-fitting case I originally received:

- The magnetic cover feature "works", for certain values of "works"... The cover is not completely flat, and coupled with the fact that the plastic holding the iPad can (and does) rotate, I found that closing the cover often did not turn off the screen, and that I had to keep prodding the cover or iPad to get the position just right. I ended up simply going to Settings > General and disabling the 'iPad Cover Lock/Unlock' option, as I found that it was often staying on after I flipped the cover closed.

- The iPad actually fits into the plastic case! It pops in much more easily, and no longer requires screen-shattering force to get the black plastic lips to hold the edge of the iPad in place. It's probably about as tight as the iPad 2 version was with the iPad 2, although I have actually popped this one out a little a few times by picking it up by the corner. For the record, once the iPad was securely in the older iPad 3 case, it never actually fell out (although I was being very careful with it!).

- The interior material actually looks a little better - I doubt they changed it, I may just have had one from a bad batch previously. This one doesn't look as abrasive and sun-bleached as the first one I received (although both were perfectly soft).

- The little flip-up nubby attached to the stylus holder is much stiffer, so it actually holds the iPad in place. I've never used this, and didn't even notice it was there until I read other reviews, but someone mentioned it was a typing rest, so I tried it with the older iPad case. It was pretty flimsy, so the weight of the iPad basically doubled the little flap right over and the screen would fall flat - it's solid now, and props the iPad up pretty securely. With that said, it's at about the same angle as the lower notch on the case interior, so I'm not sure if this is actually supposed to be some kind of iPad rest, and if so, what the benefit is over simply slotting the iPad into the bottom notch. Maybe more stable under the weight of heavy fingers?

Overall, I'm happy with the case, and now I have a spare. I bumped the 3-star rating up to 4, as the Targus customer service was great, and has definitely not deterred me from buying another Targus case (although maybe I'll wait for the Amazon reviews next time before I pre-order...). I dropped one star because the magnetic catch is still a bit flaky. Given that the cover doesn't flip closed into the exact same position every time, I figured Targus would have used larger magnets to accommodate the variances introduced by the chunky not-quite-closed cover and the fact that the iPad can rotate by several degrees with the cover closed...
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on March 17, 2012
I love this case, I have been waiting weeks for this case to come out. The two tone colors caught my eye right away and I thought that it would be a perfect match with my new ipad 3. I received the case today and after weeks of anticipation and excitement, I was sadly disappointed. Not because the case didn't meet my expectations, it did. But one of the most valued features that a case has to offer did not work. The magnetic on/off feature that turns on the iPad when the case is open and vica versa. I thought it was the ipad at first, so I looked through the settings and everything seemed to be on. I decided to place my iPad 2 in this case and the on/off feature worked perfectly fine with the iPad 2. So to confirm my suspicion, I placed the new iPad 3 into the case that I use for my iPad 2 and the iPad 3 worked perfectly fine with the older iPad 2 case. I do not know what it is, maybe its the thickness but this was definitely a disappointment.

*UPDATE* (05-03-2012)

As promised Targus kept their word and today as I walked to my front door, I see a package laying near the door sealed with Targus branded tape. The replacement case is perfect, everything works and I could not be more happy from the prompt service and commitment that the Targus brand has for their customers on a personal level. This is why I am giving them 5 stars, because of their loyalty I will be a returning customer for their future products, Apple and all. Thank you Targus =>
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Targus is committed to keeping your new iPads protected. If you're having an issue with your Targus case for the new iPad, please contact our customers service team and they will be happy to send you a tested replacement case or in some situations another model if preferred. No need to return the case you have to us. For more specific information please call customer service at 1-877-482-7487. We appreciate your business and will do whatever it takes to fix the issue.
on March 16, 2012
New iPad did not snap into place - As the first reviewer stated, I also had to apply some force to get the lip of the plastic backing to clip over the edge of the iPad. I just did not get the warm fuzzy feeling that the iPad would not pop out.

Magnet did not lock the screen - I thought that maybe there was something wrong with the iPad, but, then I noticed that the case would not lie flat on the screen. I had to squeeze and hold the case closed to get the magnet in the case to lock and turn off the iPad. However, as soon as you let go of the case, the iPad turns on. I also tested the magnetic lock feature by waving a simple refrigerator magnet over the iPad and it worked. So, it appears, that a poor fitting cover and a cheap magnet are the the culprit.

I will be taking the case back. Don't waste your money. Too bad, because the case did sit comfortably on my lap as I wrote this review.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 28, 2012
I have no idea what's with all the complain about this nice product and especially when the manufacture stand behind its product. yes the auto on/off function is not working when you order it on Amazon, but if you contact Targus about the issue, they will send you a new working one without asking you to return the defected one. I received my 2nd case in a week after I contact Targus on its website. and absolutely satisfied with the product and the service. I'm giving away the first one to a friend since I got the 2nd one.
on March 16, 2012
I previously purchased the same type of case for the iPad 2. So, I was hopeful that this case be just as good. Unfortunately, the two new features this case offers, the leather tab and magnets, are defective. The leather tab is designed to prop the iPad in a position ideal for typing. In practice, this usually causes the iPad to fall down from its position. The magnets may be misaligned, or not strong enough as they rarely succeed at turning the iPad off and on. Also, in general the build quality of this case seems to have gone down from their previous offering.
on March 18, 2012
Okay, maybe for $9.95 at your local flea market this cover/case for the New IPad would be worth the money. It does sort of protect the tablet. BUT for 60 BUCKs! Come on, this is a travesty. The tray that holds the IPad barely holds it in and you have to be very careful when making the corners clip or it will fall to the floor as mine almost did. Next their highly touted On/Off feature like Apple's Smart Cover, is a cruel joke. You can jiggle, wiggle, bend and manipulate the thing to make it turn off the tablet but as soon as you ease up on the pressure, whoops, it's back on again--I see you in there, your lights are on and there's someone home!

If you take the case and bend it back and forth, fold, spindle and mutilate the cover, you can eventually (took me about an hour) get the thing sort of reformed into some kind of shape that will turn on the tablet if you carefully lay it down and close the cover...DO NOT move it though, or it will come on again. So it's got that going for it.

Otherwise the gray color is nice, the padding inside seems to be okay, and it has that little stylus thingy on the outside.

But not for $59.95!!

Someone posted that the Targus online chat person said one can return it or "wait" until a fix is discovered. Hmm, so, another week with no cover, or thirty days until you give up and send it back before the warranty ends? Such a good deal. Duh.

It is real shame that Targus does not have the quality control and engineering expertise that Apple has. Maybe they should move their manufacturing facility to Shenzhen, inside the Foxconn factory.

Woe is me. No more Targus stuff for me.

Okay, got on the chat line with their customer service this morning; after 25 minute wait--from number 39 in queue down to number 3--the chat message was, "Sorry, no one available to speak with you!". Wow, that convinced me. Back it goes.

on June 11, 2012
As I was reading many reviews, I was skeptical about this product's magnetic feature--especially seeing how much the price was reduced. I looked through many reviews and found that apparently there are two versions of this product. Wanting to make sure I got the one with the magnetic on/off, I contacted Targus to inquire about the specific product number. I was told that the Versavu did not come with the magnetic on/off. I ordered it anyway because I liked the 360 swivel. To my surprise, when I opened the package, it stated it had the magnetic on/off feature. And, it worked! My advice would be to contact the seller to inquire about whether or not the product you will order will have that feature. I ordered the Calypso Pink/Charcoal. I was afraid it would be too pink, but it was actually closer to a red color.

This is a solid case! Great product!
on March 16, 2012
I thought I was crazy trying to get the case to shut off the iPad.. Until I read about the problem. I do like the case other then that and have contacted customer support to see what they are going to do about it.

UPADTE: I called customer support and they are aware of the problem and will be replace the case in about 6 weeks. I really like the case other then the close thing. So I will wait till they get me the replacement,
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 16, 2012
I was very excited to purchase this alongside my new Ipad. Unfortunately, as noted in the other reviews, the magnets are incorrectly placed and therefore don't activate the sleep function. Incredible. There must have been a point where they realized this was the case. They shipped anyway. Now I have to waste my time going back to the store to return it.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 16, 2012

GREAT NEWS! 5/4/12. '''''
FexEx delivered the the replacement Versavu, and the magnetic sensor works like a charm. The lower viewing position slot, which used to be a little unstable and cause the Ipad to fall out of its groove, has been redesigned and is now very solid. This is a great case and I am going to upgrade to 5 stars.

I've been using the case for a week and my overall impression is generally positive. The IPad fits securely, rotation into portrait mode is smooth and the general finish is very good. Targus is obviously aware of the glitch with the magnet. I contacted customer service and they offered a free replacement (a copy of the purchase receipt is necessary-either by FAX or email) which should arrive in 6 to 8 weeks.

Some of the preceding reviews have been a little harsh considering that many companies who have been in business for any length of time have experienced product difficulties, and unlike some businesses who ignore issues, Targus has been very responsive to this problem.

Anyway, I would wait until the new redesigned cases are available before ordering.

If you're having an issue with your case for the new iPad, contact customer service and they will be happy to send you a tested replacement case or in some situations another model. No need to return the case you have. For more information call 1-877-482-7487.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse