on March 17, 2011
I bought this case after first seeing photos of it on CNET. It has a slim form factor that exposes the beauty of the iPad's aluminum and glass design but yet also provides sufficient front, back and side protection for the device. It fits the device perfectly, and the camera is centered perfectly in the camera cutout hole on the back of the case when installed properly. (I don't know what another reviewer was complaining about poor fit. Maybe he was attempting to install a first generation iPad into this iPad2 case.) This case folds into multiple of positions allowing you to use your iPad in a variety of ways. What the pictures don't show is that you can fold the case in even one lower position to allow for typing. In this position, the iPad is elevated about 1 inch in the back, allowing for a comfortable typing position. Other cases I previously owned for my old first gen. iPad were elevated too high in back when in the typing position, leading to aching wrists when typing for only a short period of time. What the photos also don't show is that you can fold the cover back (kind of like folding back a spiral bound notebook) to make the iPad in the case completely flat. I also like the light blue on black color scheme and find it to be sufficiently masculine for my tastes. I bought an Apple Smart Cover which hasn't arrived yet, but after reading comments online to the effect that the Smart Cover leaves scratches on the side of the iPad where it attaches, I will be returning it upon receipt. A case should protect from scratches, not add scratches. I highly recommend the Targus VuScape protective cover/stand.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Targus VuScape Protective cover and stand is a pretty good, helpful aid for those who own an Apple Ipad2. It features a thin, lightweight design that is meant to hold the iPad2 snugly in place while you work.

Having a stand for your iPad is certainly a good idea and I like that this stand can be used to position your iPad in different ways. There are multiple grooves so that you can display your iPad at different angles. The cover can also be folded back completely, allowing the consumer to hold the iPad in the hands without the stand.

This protective cover/stand does have some nice features to offer, but after using it for a while, it is more than apparent that the stand is not perfect. Probably the greatest issue is that the stand isn't as sturdy as I would prefer. If you use the stand on a solid, flat surface, you shouldn't have too many problems, but place it on other surfaces and it tends to bend just a little bit. The slightest bend will cause the grooves to give way just a little, and the iPad will no longer be securely held in place.

I generally like the thin, lightweight design of this stand, but the thinness possibly goes a tad far. If the manufacturer had made this stand just a little bit thicker, it would be stronger and more likely to hold the iPad in place without any problems. I suppose this is the trade- off one must make when selecting a stand such as this. Lightweight is nice, especially for something like an iPad, but lightweight means the stand is lacking in strength.

All in all, this is a good stand and certainly worth considering, but not a deluxe stand like I expected. Again, as long as you are willing to sacrifice sturdiness for lightweight design, you should be fine. And try to use only on the flattest surfaces for the best results. Follow these guidelines and you should find yourself reasonably happy with this protective cover and stand from Targus.
on March 29, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Targus VuScape Cover fits my Ipad 2 like a glove... LITERALLY. I had been looking for a case for my device and when I saw this one from Targus, I figured I'd give it a try. First, the case is made out of VERY high quality imitation leather. I mean it really looks like the real thing (the PU smell gives it away, though). It's sleek and tight fitting, which I love. You simply SLIDE your iPad through the two side "hooks" and lock it into place by the top hooks. The bottom hooks are just for SUPPORT, not for locking in the device. Since the case doubles as a stand for the iPad, the bottom portion of the cover slips back and allows you to stand the device in one of the two grooves in the cover. This works splendidly and holds the device quite well. This is a very simple and elegant looking case that's unobtrusive and will protect your tablet, while doubling as a stand for watching videos or surfing the net. I highly recommend this case.
on April 7, 2011
I've been very happy with this case. Here's why...

PROS
-Fits like a glove: The iPad slides in and stays secure. It doesn't slide out at all and remains steady when resting in the viewing grooves
-Protection: Covers the front and back without adding a ton of bulk to the device overall
-Look/feel: Feels sturdy and looks classic. Pretty slim overall too
-Button / Speaker Access: This case lets you easily access the side buttons and does not block the speaker at all. The iPad 1 had buttons on the side and a speaker on the bottom of the frame. Since Apple moved the buttons and speaker to essentially the back of the device, you need to make sure you can access them without peeling back the side of the case
-Price: $39.99 is as good as it gets in this field. Same price as a Smart Cover but protects the back of your iPad and does not leave streak marks on the screen, like Apple's Smart Covers do

CONS
-Color: this is a personal thing but I wish the inside was black too instead of blue, but again that's just me
-No Magnets: would have been nice to have since it's a cool new trick but doesn't make a big difference in the end. I knew this before I bought it so I'm not knocking the case but just saying

No other cons but ONE CLARIFICATION based on other reviews I've seen: Some people have complained that two of the corners do not stay tight on their iPad. This is because they are NOT supposed to. The bottom of the iPad must be free to swing out and fit into the grooves for viewing angles. Those corners are just there to protect the corners of your iPad when the case is closed. The iPad does not slide out of the top grips that do hold it in. Those work just fine.

Overall, I think it's a great case. I was originally looking at the incase Book Jacket but this one has much better button / speaker access and is a bit thinner too. I definitely recommend it to others.
on May 14, 2011
I got my new iPad 2 and decided it was wrong to put a big thick case like the otterbox defender that i had old my old iPad. The iPad 2 is too thin and light for an over protective case and deserved something more in keeping with it's svelte shape and lines. I read the reviews and grew frustrated since each case had so many conflicting reviews. Then it became a matter of which case had more more positive than negative reviews.

I cancelled the order for the otter box for iPad 2 and ordered the Targus VuScape for iPad 2. I got it today (as promised). I kinda held my breath as I opened the box and pulled the VuScape out of it's box. It was ever so easy and elegant to slide my iPad 2 into the VuScape case. I like it - a lot. I definitely like this case and I recommend this one. I also liked getting it on amazon for less money.

Oh and if you didn't know, Amazon is hiring a lot of Wounded Warriors. Keep it up Amazon! It is nice to see a corporation that remembers our service members that keep the bad guys away from our doorsteps so that we can be so self absorbed as expound about the virtues of an iPad case.

Semper Fi!
on March 24, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have an iPad Smart Cover and a Targus VuScape Protective Cover/Stand for Apple iPad 2 - 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, WiFi and WiFi + 3G THZ044US (Black/Blue Interior). Guess which one is staying on my iPad? It's not the Smart Cover.

The VuScape is an attractive folio-like iPad 2 case that has a faux-leather exterior. It can also double as a stand. Here's a quick rundown of the pros and cons as I see them:

Pro
+ Protects front and back of iPad2
+ Doubles as a two position stand by using the grooves on the inside of the cover to rest the iPad's base
+ Hard exterior shell with some extra padding on the front
+ Well-placed cutouts for the camera, speaker and dock connector
+ Latch to close the cover
+ Well fitting
+ Attractive and discrete cover

Cons
- The lower stand position is supposed to be used for typing on the iPad. I can't see myself doing that because the angle is just wrong
- Some reviewers have mentioned that they have problems with the latch and the clasps that hold the corners and the edges of the iPad coming loose. Although I've had no issues yet I can see that overtime the clasps will loosen because they are made of flexible metal covered in the case material.

Overall I am very happy with the case and will keep using it but I do have some concerns about it's longevity. That's the main reason why I don't want to give it a better rating yet.
on December 10, 2011
This cover is basically a good design; It holds the ipad tightly and protects it well when closed up. The different angles at which it allows you to use the ipad are handy. Very convenient.
But- in only a couple weeks the stitching is separating. It is used around the house and has had no stress or abuse at all. I just think this is a nice design made with crap Chinese materials. For a couple weeks I liked it a lot. I've contacted Targus, but don't expect any satisfaction. Conversely, I've had a laptop bag from Case Logic that has seen daily use & abuse for four years. Not one stitch has loosened. It can be done right.
on March 24, 2011
I got mine from Best Buy since it was sold out on Amazon.com, and it works perfect just like my 1st case for the ipad 1. I love the leather feel of the cover and it completly protects my ipad 2. Speaking of the smart cover, when i saw this, i came home packed the smart cover up and returned it. The smart cover offers no real protection at all, all it does it wake the ipad up when you leave it on. I also brought the Targus crave slip case to carry every thing in one bag.
VINE VOICEon April 21, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I own two covers for my iPad 2 - the Apple iPad 2 Polyurethane Smart Cover - Gray (MC939LL/A) and the Targus VuScape Protective Cover/Stand. Although I love the Apple Smart Cover and its cool features, I have to say that the Targus cover has some definite advantages over the Smart Cover.

Pros:

The cover is very nicely-padded without being overly heavy or bulky.

I appreciate that not only is the screen protected, but the back of the iPad is, as well. I have noticed with my Smart Cover that the back of the iPad scratches easily when set down on desks or other flat surfaces. The Targus cover protects the whole iPad (except for leaving the speakers, cord plug-in, camera, headphone jack, microphone and power button easily accessible and uninhibited).

The Targus cover gives my iPad a much more professional, stylized look.

The stand feature includes two different angles, which are perfect for either setting the iPad on your lap or setting it on a desk.

Cons:

As opposed to the Apple Smart Cover, you actually have to turn the iPad on and off manually.

The angles of the stand are not the best typing angles. The Targus stand lacks the slightly-inclined angle of the Smart Cover that I use quite often.

I don't like how the cover of the stand sticks out so far in front of the iPad when it is standing up - there might as well have a keyboard there, there is that much room. However, it is nicely padded there.

Overall, this cover/stand is very professional-looking, has a good grip and feel to it, is nicely-padded and I am very confident in the protection that it gives my iPad. I highly recommend it for any iPad owner.
VINE VOICEon April 6, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Nice and slim design, with some caveats.

Like most covers of this type, the front cover can fold behind, so you can hold the iPad in portrait like a book. There are also a couple of grooves to let you stand the iPad up at different angles, including the low-profile typing angle. There's hole for the back-facing camera.

The slimness has a downside, though - in some instances, a lack of rigidity. If the cover is not on a flat surface, e.g. on your lap, it may bow a little, and the grooves will not hold the iPad standing up all that securely. Using the furthest groove works better in this case. Found myself missing the more defined slide-stoppers of the older cases.

Possible deal-breaker: It's been a week, and there is still a paint-like smell coming from the inside surface. I hope this will dissipate in time. Also, like most covers of this type, the ports are exposed. You'll want to carry this around in something else, in case of weather.

FYI, the top corners should fit snugly, but the bottom two are supposed to be loose, so that the iPad can be swiveled out into standing position. Slide the iPad in through the two side grips, rather than snap them in like I did.

It's a nice, smart cover. I may call Targus about the smell if it persists much longer, though.

UPDATE: called Targus. They said the smell should go away eventually. We'll see.
4/30: Smell mostly gone.

UPDATE: I still find myself wishing it had one more level of tilt, for typing, that would be similar to Apple's Smart Cover tilt. That would require some sort of raised barrier due to the iPad 2's curved body. There is a solution, albeit of debatable elegance: at the lowest tilt, insert a ball-point pen or something similar where the cover folds, right under the hold button-front camera line. This increases the tilt to something more conducive to typing.

UPDATE: When the cover is folded back, you may notice two scratchy points if leaning it against your bare thigh. These are caused by the stitching.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations