Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Blue October Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Made in Italy Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on April 16, 2012
Sandra Hill's 1995 reprint of her classic The Tarnished Lady finds Lady Eadyth of Hawk's Lair (nicknamed the Silver Jewel of Northumbria) asking Eirik of Ravenshire for her help in protecting her and her son from the father of her child and since Eirik is the sworn enemy of Steven of Gravely and wants his revenge upon him he weds Lady Eadyth.
Their marriage is not a happy one from the start, Eirik demands Lady Eadyth discontinue her bee making business-after all Eirik is rich enough- and in turn Lady Eadyth demands that Eirik keep his hands to himself. Eirik has no problem with this for Eadyth wears hideous clothing and a veil to hide her unnatural beauty and so Eirik and everyone think she is ugly. But when Eirik finds out her secret, he vows to get his own personal revenge in the manner of seduction, but it is not easy to ignore Eadyth's demanding ways and take charge attitude. But miraculously after they have bone melting sex, Eadyth is his slave and falls instantly in love with him and he with her. Although they say they were a little in love with each other already.
The battle between Steven of Gravely and Eirik of Ravenshire is easily fought and won by none other than the hero of the book. Of course.
The Tarnished Lady I knew from the start was not going to be a very good read; at least for me. I had trouble with the flow of the book as I kept having to try and pronounce the names of the characters, because I just can't gloss over one word without knowing I have the pronunciation right. I also had trouble with Eadyth herself, she seemed too domineering of the household before it was her's, she was too demanding of everything and everyone around her, even the dogs that were not her's to command. And maybe lastly, I find it really hard to believe that she could cloak her ungodly beauty between a few pieces of carefully worn clothing and a monstrous head veil for all those months.
In conclusion, maybe it was the heroine that made me cringe when reading? It was most definitely not the hero...*sigh* nor his hunky brother Tykir (who I could pronounce his name well enough). Who gets his own book thankfully, entitled The Bewitched Viking. Crossing my fingers that it will be marginally better than The Tarnished Lady.
on July 15, 2011
This was a silly plot with unlikable characters. I mean, would it not be miserable walking around all day with "smelly" grease in your hair, while "crackly" as you speak and "stooping" as you walk as the heroine does in orders to hide her "beauty". Also, the heroine has a son and the hero has two daughters, who never receive any attention or affection from either parents. This is a very uncomfortable read. Don't waist your money. I cannot understand why it has 4 stars