Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

HALL OF FAMEon April 28, 2005
In THE TAROT OF THE GREEN WITCH, Ann Moura uses the paradigm known as "The Wheel of the Year' to organize and explain her interpretation of the cards of the major and minor arcana. If you are not familiar with the `Wheel of the Year' or basic Tarot concepts, you may find this book less than helpful. Even if you are familiar, you may note that here is yet another explanation of an ancient set of cards with an origin shrouded in the mist of time. These days, authors seldom provide citations and Moura is no exception, so I was only able to follow her comments about the various interpretations because I have assembled and read a library on this topic, as well as having various occult experiences.

Whether you accept Margaret Starbird's exposition linking the Tarot with an archaic Gnostic catechism, or Isabel Kliegman's interpretation which ties the Minor Arcana to the Kabbalah, or you accept a Jungian explanation, you will probably enjoy reading Moura's book.

Moura says she is not interested in the "Fire versus Air' argument for Swords and Wands or the reversal of the `Strength' and `Justice' cards in the Waite-Ryder deck produced by the Order of the New Dawn. Nor is she interested in which interpretation of the `Wheel of the Year' is "correct". She provides compelling reasons as to why she believes most experts agree the Tarot is not of European origin, and may in fact have originated in India, traveling west via Romania (Which in my mind makes no difference as the origin is "Indo-European" and thus the argument put forward by Rachel Pollock and Joseph Campbell regarding an association between the Tarot and the ancient near East is not disproved) .

Moura does not view Tarot cards as useful for "fortune telling", but rather she says they are for divination, which is a different matter. Fortune telling implies predestination, and if we have free will, which she believes we do, then events are not immutable or fixed. Divination implies future outcomes which can be affected.

I found this book both informative and helpful, and while I may not agree with every last aspect, I recommend it to anyone who has moved beyond the basic interpretations and wants to explore further. If you want a basic volume, check out Rachel Pollack's book SEVENTY-EIGHT DEGREES OF WISDOM.
on February 26, 2005
This book has helped me so much in learning and understanding the Tarot.

The way Ann Moura explains the cards in the way of the Green Witch makes more sense, and works with any deck.

I chose to use my Herbal Tarot, and looking at the Fool as the Greenman, etc. makes reading Tarot cards so much easier.

The book has card from one of three different decks that are the author's favorites. Ann Moura suggests as you read about each card, to use place the card from your deck on top of the printed card in the book....it's like hands on, and really gets you familiar with your deck.

I highly suggest this book especially for beginners and those in the Craft of the Green Witch.
on March 19, 2007
This book is great instruction for "beginner" and "advanced" tarot readers. One of the best features of the book is the "major" and "minor" arcana card combinations and the Wiccan holidays linked the the Major Arcana. Each description of the cards in the book, enhances a the basic tarot "definitions" provided for any tarot deck or set. It has easy to follow instructions and I keep referring back to it years after I purchased it. I go back to it so much that the book binding is coming apart. I have over 25 tarot books and it is by far one of the best tarot books in the market. Other great books that can enhance a tarot reader's knowledge is Kala Trobe's,
Invoke the Gods: Exploring the Power of Male Archetypes and Invoke the Goddess: Exploring the Power of Female Archetypes. At the end of each of the meditations for the Gods and Goddesses there is a section called "Mundane Archetypes," Trobe includes personality types and descriptions that are linked to the tarot court cards...they are very detailed. I have added this knowledge to my tarot readings and it has given me more accuracy.
on January 2, 2009
I've already had a couple of Tarot books but this one is a real treasure. Not only Ann Moura mixes the tarot decks but also quite eclectic about her interpretations. If you already have some traditional tarot books in hand, this book may help you to broaden your perspective to understand how to read tarot cards, if that is going to be your first tarot book, you will not need a second one.
on August 15, 2015
Love this book. I got it because my tarot deck didn't come with a book. This has been awesome. She describes in great detail every single card and offers various samples of layouts. Perfect first book (that's why I got it). Easy to read and engaging while being useful and informative. Will probably get more from this author. My friend has the entire collection and loves them all.
on February 25, 2004
I learned to read the Tarot with this book and my intuition. I amaze myself at what the cards help me see in others and myself.. I encourage anyone who is begining and learning the Tarot to read this book..
on March 23, 2014
An excellently written study of Tarot from the perspective of "Green Witchcraft". Ann Maura has succeeded in getting us to take a slightly different view of Tarot that what we usually read.

on March 31, 2016
I had expectations for this deck & book - so far I had not really looked into Green Witches or otherwise. The deck is drop dead gorgeous, the book is lovely, and I can see myself reading it many times over. A job well done Ann Moura !! My compliments and kind regards, L.B.
on January 30, 2013
Ann Moura writes fascinating, informative and very educational books. With this book, she does not use a single deck to illustrate and guide, but several different decks, using particular cards from each. This is very helpful as many tarot books deal with just one particular deck; and if that is not the deck you use, the information can sometimes be difficult to "translate".
on February 29, 2012
The thing I like about this book is It covers some of the cards in the wheel of the year. It makes it easier to calculate time and when something can occur. it has some information that is very accurate and use full even to non witches like me.