4.0 out of 5 stars May not be for the beginner, but you can certainly give it a try., February 7, 2013
This review is from: Tartine: The Boxed Set (Hardcover)
I have tried on a few occasions to bake my own bread. I do enjoy cooking and have several really good cook books. I have made a couple of Julia Child's bread recipes and they have always turned out wonderful. The Tartine recipe is very simple to make, but it does require a lot more time. Like Julia and Chad both point out that the flavor develops over and extended bulk rise. So it not alot of work on your part, but rather dough raising in a bowel.

The great thing about Chad's book is he gives you a very detail written description of what you should expect to see, smell and taste during all phases of the process. Only time will give you the confidence to know you have everything in hand. That being said, even though I a still learning to shape my dough and score the top to get that final oven spring, my bread (Chad's recipe) is fantastic? I have never seen or had so much open and aerated crumb.

They have include many photos to show you all the key steps along the way. No figure 1, example 2 comments to go with it and I think the book is better for it. You can refer back to the pictures while you are making this to compare what you are doing to his examples.

If you do need some help or hint's checkout the Recipes for Tartine bread group on face book and see what others have already done...

Others have mentioned there disappointment with the book not having more recipes, but what Chad has done with this book is give you the tools, technique and confidence to image your own bread creations. He also includes some wonderful recipes on what to do with the bread. I made the savory bread pudding for my wife the other night... OMG this is now one of our favorites side dishes and it is so easy to prepare?

Don't past this one up. If you like good bread this book is for you!

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect, April 22, 2013
This review is from: Tartine: The Boxed Set (Hardcover)
The box set is pretty much perfect except for one thing: the publisher. For some reason, in about 8 pages of one the books, they printers printed 2 different pages on the same page. This is especially frustrating since the pages that are printed over are the base recipes in the book so I can't read either recipe that is printed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Set of Books, August 25, 2013
Martin J. Rafanan (St. Louis, MO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tartine: The Boxed Set (Hardcover)
Very seldom does a set of cook books live up to their billing but in this case, you can't go wrong. If you are interested in baking and want to duplicate the "tartine method" in your own kitchen, you will find this set of books extremely helpful. I've used the Tartine Bread Book to make incredible bread in my own kitchen following the directions in the book. Although this is time and technique intensive, the outcomes are spectacular. I'm enjoying these books immensely and they are ACTUALLY getting used! That says it all. Congrats to Chad Robertson and his crew.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful & Delicious, January 14, 2013
Clevelander (Cleveland, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tartine: The Boxed Set (Hardcover)
Beautiful photography and great recipes have already netted a great variety of treats in my household in the 2 weeks since Christmas!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Cookbook., November 21, 2013
This review is from: Tartine: The Boxed Set (Hardcover)
Beautiful cook book. Clear easy to follow recipes. I love it. Also good reading. I would recommend it as a gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Drool worthy !!, October 2, 2013
This review is from: Tartine: The Boxed Set (Hardcover)
The closest thing to eating in their San Fran bakery is having Chads books .. A great insight into the world of bread making.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite bread book., July 31, 2013
This review is from: Tartine: The Boxed Set (Hardcover)
I have been on a bread journey. Tartine Bread is enlightening, easy to read, and has great recipes. Chad Robertson speaks to the person who is trying to make great bread at home. If you want to make bread, this is the book. I have skimmed the Tartine Bakery book and can't wait to start baking. But I can't seem to stop baking bread.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfection!!!, July 21, 2013
This review is from: Tartine: The Boxed Set (Hardcover)
Having visited the bakery with each visit to San Francisico and enjoying their amazing pastries, now read how it is done. If you want a perfect gift for someone who likes to bake, look no further.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product and delivery, May 13, 2013
This review is from: Tartine: The Boxed Set (Hardcover)
First of all, I cannot beat the price anywhere. The seller wrote "just like new" and it was exactly as described. It had a 3-inch tear in the plastic wrap cover, that was it, and I bought for a fraction of the regular price. I frequent Tartine whenever I'm in California and I enjoy reading the book very much. Make no mistake, this cookbook is for advanced baking. I tried a dozen recipes already and they turn out well, but there is a bit of tweaking involved so don't expect the recipes to turn out EXACTLY the way it's described in the book first time around. Read the recipes thoroughly and take the chef's little advice to heart (such as mixing the marzipan very well when making the lemon tea cake.) The pictures are very beautiful and it's a guideline for me to see how my product should look like. If you enjoy reading how professional bakers really work their recipes and want a baking challenge, this book is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Journey, February 13, 2013
This review is from: Tartine: The Boxed Set (Hardcover)
I loved this set. Chad Robertson's story reads like an amazing diary of a journey. I recommend it to those who seek for more than just a recipe book. For those who need to understand.

Tartine: The Boxed Set
Tartine: The Boxed Set by Elisabeth M. Prueitt (Hardcover - August 8, 2012)
Used & New from: $94.50