Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Color: Black|Change

on October 12, 2011
I ordered 3 binoculars Bushnell Powerview 8x21, Tasco Essentials 10x25 and Barska Blueline 3x25 opera glass. After comparing them during day and night. I decided to keep Tasco and return the other two. I think the 25 view glass make a difference for the light to get in the right way comparing with the 21. Both the Tasco and Barska are very clear without light interference. Barska is very cute and elegant. It is great for ladies who also like some fashion when going to opera. But the 3x limited its power. I wanted something that can see the bowing of violinist when go to concert and sit in the back row. Neither the Bushnell nor the Barska fold all the way. They create bridges. So they are not super compact. Barska comes with a cheap pouch looks like leather but not. Both Bushnell and Tasco come with nice fabric cases which can be attached to belt. The Tasco can be fold all the way to be super compact and not easy to break by accident as the other two have gap between the tubes. The Size is a little bigger than the other two just because it is 10x and the tubes have to be a little longer to create the power. Both my kids are loving it. We tried to look at the moon tonight. It is unbelievably clear and beautiful. Barska was still clear but small. The Bushnell just could not provide a good image and there are some polarized lights look like cross going through the moon. I am going to order more of the Tasco Essentials 10x25.
33 comments|251 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 10, 2007
For the price, it's difficult to find fault with these binoculars. Tasco is evidently trying hard to make a high-value product (not just a toy) at an extremely competitive price. They are light, small, reasonably solid, and for the price I never worry about taking them into situations where they might get a little wet or a little mechanical abuse (e.g., bumps or scrapes).

So these would be a great choice for occasional or emergency use (e.g., to throw in a glove compartment or emergency bag, or to take hiking or backpacking), when having a small, lightweight, relatively high-power set of binoculars would be beneficial.

If you'll be using these for extended periods of time, I would encourage you to keep looking. The eye relief isn't great, so if you wear glasses you won't be able to see the full field of view. Also, and it could just be my pair, mine do not focus very sharply (spherical aberration?), especially at larger distances.

Also, be aware that these are probably best for active outdoors activities (hiking, hunting, etc.) in bright light -- if you can put up with the extra weight and cost, you might be better served by a pair with larger effective aperture and corresponding exit pupil (e.g., 10x42 or even 10x50) for pursuits like astronomy or (more sedentary) birding. This is not a criticism of these binoculars; they are designed to be 10x25, so the only thing I might complain about is the transmission of the AR coating, but that's simply not fair at this price point.

If you do get a pair, do some thorough field testing as soon as you get them, and return them if they don't suit your expectations.

Three stars may be too tough on these, but they're just not good enough optically to warrant more. Still, especially given their price, they're a whole lot better than nothing in a pinch.
11 comment|91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 29, 2008
Good disposable emergency travel binoculars

I bought these binoculars to leave in my SUV as an emergency backup when I forget my excellent Nikon 7216 Action 8 X 40 Binoculars. They are much lighter and smaller and I can leave in my map holder on the door or even in my pocket and forget I even have them which leaves the old saying binoculars are only good if you have them with you. And that's where these binoculars shine they are very tiny and very light.

They do bring things in close and after a little bit of focusing and adjusting width you can make things out if you have plenty of light. The little case they come with is pretty decent as well.

Now for the bad parts. The eye relief is pretty bad, you will have to prop your eye glasses above them and or remove them to use. Also they are pretty dim which of course a lot of cheaper 10x25 binoculars are. The strap is a small little string that does the job but is pretty thin. But hey for the price go ahead and purchase a couple one for your coat pocket and one for your vehicle oh and maybe one for your camera bag.

These would be a great pair to have children learn on as if they drop or abuse them its no big deal.

Pros:

Nice case
Super small size
Super light weight
Disposable price tag
Great learning binocular to hand to small children

Cons:

So so focusing
Just Ok low light ability
Just Ok optics
Not water tight or resistant

Verdict:

Purchase as disposable emergency travel binoculars and or as a toy for children to learn birding with and no more.

12-3-2008 Update:

Went to the store and tested a lot of different small bincoulars trying to find a pair that are almost as good as my Nikon Action 7216 8x40's and found the perfect one. If you need small and want a good view and a good price get the Nikon 7508 Travelite 8 X 25mm V Binoculars. They are: light (8.9 oz), fit the hand well are well made and very bright in the viewfinder for their size.
on February 28, 2012
I bought these binoculars from Dick's Sporting Goods about eight years ago, without the "Essentials" tag. They're the same optics, but the newer models (the item in this product specification) have a different pattern on the rubber armoring. That's it. Build quality is the same, as is every other feature except the carrying case.

I'll say that I think 10X is too high of a magnification for untrained optic users. It causes too much shake with every breath, and gripping the binoculars tighter (as many people do) to steady them only make it worse. The neck cord on this model is too flimsy to be useful for steadying. Now, I can use them just fine, but I'm not an "untrained user". Other than the magnification, they're a great pair of binoculars. They're very clear, and durability is very nice. I've dropped mine in mud, in snow, and off a seven-foot-high rock quarry wall once. Apart from a small crack in the rubber armoring (which was easily put back together with electrical tape) they appear new.

The binoculars come with instructions, a lens cleaning cloth, and a fabric carrying case with belt loop. The case is low-quality, but it does the job of keeping the binos clean until you're ready to use them. It closes with a Velcro strip. The whole thing comes in a nice box, ready to wrap up if this is a gift. I'd recommend the 8X21 Essentials model if you're looking for inexpensive binoculars. They're sold here on Amazon for about $12.

Note: If you have a Harbor Freight in your area, they sell these binoculars for $14.99 under their "Gordon" brand. The binoculars are made in the same factory as the Tascos, and the only change is the addition of the Tasco name on the binoculars; the Gordon version isn't branded, and the markings are in a slightly different font. Same factory, same specs.
on October 11, 2015
I purchased two pair of these for our trip to Alaska. That way we could each adjust our binoculars for our vision and not have to readjust sharing one pair of binoculars. These are compact, lightweight, come with a neck strap, carry case, and perfect for travel. At this price, if they are lost or stolen you are not going to be upset at being out a bunch of money. With a price of about $13 I was not expecting a $100 pair of binoculars, but must say I was amazed at the quality for the price! They are easy to use and the sharpness is great. Be mindful that these are 10x, so are great for looking at things you want to see close up, but with 10x your surrounding field of vision is reduced. No fault of the product, I wish I would have purchased 8x for a wider filed of vision and steadier view. If you want 10x, and not looking to break the bank, I highly recommend these.
on November 6, 2015
These don't really work all that well. Not terrible, but I took them out with me on a few hikes, tried to use them, struggled with the magnification and focus, and now they stay on the shelf.

I think this is one of those clear you get what you pay for situations. The Tasco's didn't cost very much so I shouldn't have had unrealistic expectations (but still did).
on March 14, 2016
I just received these and I am amazed at how decent they are for the price. They feel durable and come with a nice carry case. I looked outside and could see things that were fairly far away with enough detail to know that these are going to be very good when sitting in a theater or arena. Its overcast out but I'm sure at night, these will be fun to play with on clear nights. I'd imagine that at least the moon would be a good viewing target with these. They're pretty light weight, too. I might order a second pair just to keep in my vehicle.

Update: I used these yesterday at a theater (which is why I ordered them in the first place) and I must say they were excellent! I could clearly see the actors faces and details of the costumes pretty well. They are light enough to hold up for a long time (unless you have a medical condition that might prevent that). They are much lighter than the older Bushnell pair that I have. I was able to hold these to my eyes for a long time with one hand, only switching occasionally to use the left hand for support. As for astronomy, they provide clear viewing of the moon and you can see Jupiter and Venus as discs and not mere points of light. These are also excellent for bird and wildlife watching. Very good item for the price and they are compact. I've seen big smart phones with an overall larger footprint than this has when folded.
These would be great for camping and outdoor activities. The ones that you would not want to take your more expensive binoculars. I have two other binoculars. A larger canon auto stabilization that are just fantastic in all respects except portability. They are heavy.
Then I have a small Nikon pair that is just about the same size as these, maybe a tad larger. Those cost over twice as much as these, and both are of course as you would expect, better than the Ultras, but that is not what these are meant for. These are the ones you have with you, abuse, drop, loan, misplace, take on vacation to mexico, etc.

They are pretty decent quality. Not sharp as a tack, but acceptable. Easy to adjust. Rubberized for when you drop them in or on a boat, or on a trail into the mud.

They work exactly as they were designed. Tough, pretty compact, and cheap. side note they are heavy for being so small. Real glass and all is heavy.
on September 11, 2012
These binoculars aren't the absolute sharpest around, but they do work pretty well. They're small, light and get the job done. You just can't complain for $15. Seriously, for that kind of money these could be total stinkers, but they're not. If you want amazing optics, go elsewhere and spend 10-20x more. If you want something to shove in your pocket for birdwatching, concerts, spotting at the gun range, or whatever, these are great.

I only have one complaint. Damn they smell bad! They smell like the inside of a musty closet with years of accumulated mothball stench. And they're right next to your nose when you use them. My unit is brand new, so perhaps the smell fades with time. I'd still buy them anyway, but it's definitely distracting. The nice neoprene case they come with also smells.
on May 20, 2016
How are they making any money on these? I was not expecting an aluminum body, but I was happily surprised. They are solid overall. I needed a quick pair of binoculars for 100yd shooting and checking my target. This is more than sufficient for seeing holes in white paper. I bet I could spot from even farther distances with these. The one finger auto focus wheel is easy to use and quick to set.

The binoculars even came with a neoprene case and a microfiber cloth. For the price, you can't go wrong.