Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

Size: 12x25mmColor: BlackChange

on May 17, 2008
This is simply the best tiny binocular that you can buy for under $20. Images are crispy, it is very easy to focus. You can also compensate the difference of vision between your eyes because you can rotate the right eyepiece. Although diameter is only 21mm, I've got better images than those that I get with another more expensive binos I have (they are 10x25). Because they are 8x21, images are very stable (when magnification goes higher, for example 10x or 12x it is very easy that with a little movement of your hands the image shakes). The material is also very comfortable and provides a very good grip. With daylight, it performs as well as my 8x42 does, this last being heavier. With less light, images are very acceptable, considering the small objective (21mm). They are also extremely light so you can take them always with you. Very good binoculars. 100% recommended.
11 comment235 of 241 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon February 15, 2012
It's not bad for 12 dollars. That's my summary for these binos. Details, details...

These Tascos are the type of optics you'd buy at Wal-Mart. They feature fold-down eyecups for eyeglasses use, black rubber armoring, and are good for a "normal" person's use.

Field-of-view is 383 feet at 1000 yards; 128 meters at 1000 meters. Exit pupil is 2.6mm and the binos weigh 6.6 ounces. The lenses are fully coated, and this is a roof prism set. Focus is adjusted via the dial in the center, and fine-tuning is via diopter ring on the right side. What does all this mean?

In layman's terms, the zoom (8) is good for untrained optic users. The number 8 means that you'll see things 8 times closer than you would over your unaided eye. I've found that this is ideal for people with no experience with optics; any less and it won't be powerful enough, and any more powerful and the user's natural movements will cause image shake. Exit is 21mm; this lets in a fair amount of light. Clarity is okay, as I've found that the focus dial in the center only gets you so far. Even by playing with the diopter adjusted as best I can get it, I'd say these binoculars are good for reading the license plate number across a long parking lot. Think 90 yards or so. As long as you're not watching objects for a long time, I think you'll be fine. Any longer than a few minutes and your eyes start to hurt. Typical of inexpensive optics.

The rubber armoring does its job; nothing special. The fold-down eyecups are for use without removing your eyeglasses, and they work as advertised. The binoculars have a neck strap attached; it's not removable and is rounded (not flat). It's long enough for any neck, and is sturdy enough to keep the binos around your neck while running. The included lens cleaning cloth is okay, but it's better than nothing. The carrying case is black nylon, and the fabric feels like a cheap eyeglass case. It closes with a Velcro strip, which hasn't started to fray or rip yet. The belt loop is a length of black nylon webbing, and will fit a belt up to 2" wide. Mine has started to pull apart at the bottom stitch, but oh well. I don't expect top quality for twelve dollars.

Give it a try if you're strapped for cash or are buying multiple units for family members.
55 comments126 of 127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 26, 2009
I bought these binoculars to replace a very similar set of Tasco 8x21 compact binos that I got about 10 years ago - but recently lost while hiking in eastern Arizona. I have larger binos at home, but wanted something very compact and light in weight that could be carried in my pocket or backpack. I ordered this set (Tasco 8x21) as well as a more powerful set of compact binos Barska Lucid 16x32 Compact Binocular (Camouflage) from Amazon. Delivery of both sets was very quick. This Tasco set is quite bright and clear, and the adjustment thumbwheel is tight and accurate. I like this pair for carrying in my pocket while hiking as they are just about right for spotting birds that are in bushes and treetops along the trail. Their small size makes them ideal for carrying in a jacket pocket. They're also a nice handy set to keep on the table by the window where I watch hummingbird and seed feeders. I rate them 5 stars because, for their compact size and especially at such a low price, they are really quite decent binos.
0Comment108 of 111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 17, 2010
I expected something really cheap, since I was paying so little, but I was very surprised by the excellent quality. About the only thing I would beef up is the strap. The item itself is very well made, if you aren't looking for something costing five times the price, and they feel substantial in the hand.

I bought these for my mother, who is a nursing home patient, in order for her to occupy her time in looking out the window at the birds (and the construction men; as she says, she may be old but she's not dead, lol.) I needed something that was strong enough for her to be able to drop without breaking but light enough for her to hold comfortably. This fits the bill. She's had them for a few months and must have dropped them (from wheelchair height) at least 6 times. They are still holding up beautifully and show no signs of breakage.

I really appreciate the fact that they aren't cheap plastic. There are actually cheap plastic kids ones that are more expensive than this! Great value. Keep in mind, however, that they are very compact; you aren't getting a big binoculars. That, actually, was best for my situation. I couldn't ask for more.
0Comment40 of 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 19, 2009
These little binoculars are a great value and very well-constructed. I purchased them specifically for concert and theatre use, which they are well-suited for. I wear eyeglasses and find the binoculars compatible with glasses. The binoculars came in a small paperboard box (about 4.25" x 2.25"). Included are a felt-like carrying case, a neck strap (thin cord) and a lens cleaning cloth. I'm very pleased with the binoculars and plan to purchase more as gifts. They arrived at my door in two days (with free shipping!) with my amazon prime membership.
0Comment28 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 23, 2009
I bought this binocular for my 9-year old great-grandson, remembering how much my first binoculars meant to me. I was impressed with the quality and the clarity of the image for so inexpensive a binocular. While the limited field may not make these the ideal binoculars for an introduction to birding, they are just fine for seeing what's on the feeder and beyond.
0Comment31 of 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 18, 2009
Very good binocular for non-professionals who just want to watch a concert, for example. Fits in your pocket.
on July 1, 2010
So I ordered one of these and one of the Bushnells with the same magnification for about the same price. These work well; the Bushnells were constructed so poorly that I'm having to send them back.

Since these are mass-produced in China I'm sure that quality control is poor, so each set will have different characteristics. But as far as mine went, they have a looser focus than the Bushnells. The Tascos were properly collimated while the Bushnells weren't even close. The Bushnells were so far off that even fiddling with the set-screws didn't fix them. These Tascos also seem brighter than the Bushnells though the light gathering through such a small optic is such that you're not going to be using them at night.

The string-lanyard that's permanently attached to the binoculars is pretty lame--I cut mine off with scissors. The carrying pouch is decent and goes on a belt if you so desire.

For the price I paid these are good binoculars. I have a feeling they're a little on a delicate side since they're cheaply made and seem like they will mis-align or break if dropped or bumped hard.

You might consider ordering two different pairs and then sending back the one that's less well 'crafted.' I'm very glad I didn't just order two of the Bushnells as I originally planned, because these are better.
on January 22, 2013
You look through them, things are bigger. I bought these mostly for casual birdwatching and stadium use, because they are very small, compress down to a smaller, pocket size, and were cheap. For the money they are pretty good binoculars, but for the size and price you should know what you're getting. The aperture is small so in low-light situations there is a significant decrease in quality, but the focus is very fine so you can get a good image most of the time. I think I probably bought the best pair of under-20 binoculars I could have found, but at the same time there's a reason why a good pair of binoculars can easily cost 20 times that.
on August 23, 2012
I am not a regular user of binoculars so I was amazed at the power and clarity of such a small unit as this. It is perfect for traveling and use both indoors and out when normal sized and heavy binoculars are cumbersome. Follow the instructions upon first use and if carried and stored carefully, they'll always be ready and accurate when you need them for impromptu on the spot usage. I've seen a lot of people in the past who struggle to see using their own binoculars. If they would only read the simple instructions on how to focus. What %%#*$*! The Tasco Essentials 12X25 are perfect for me at a great price.
22 comments14 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse