5.0 out of 5 stars great price for a great product
Published on October 12, 2011 by Spring Eagle

3.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for?
Published on March 10, 2007 by intJohn

5.0 out of 5 stars great price for a great product, October 12, 2011
I ordered 3 binoculars Bushnell Powerview 8x21, Tasco Essentials 10x25 and Barska Blueline 3x25 opera glass. After comparing them during day and night. I decided to keep Tasco and return the other two. I think the 25 view glass make a difference for the light to get in the right way comparing with the 21. Both the Tasco and Barska are very clear without light interference. Barska is very cute and elegant. It is great for ladies who also like some fashion when going to opera. But the 3x limited its power. I wanted something that can see the bowing of violinist when go to concert and sit in the back row. Neither the Bushnell nor the Barska fold all the way. They create bridges. So they are not super compact. Barska comes with a cheap pouch looks like leather but not. Both Bushnell and Tasco come with nice fabric cases which can be attached to belt. The Tasco can be fold all the way to be super compact and not easy to break by accident as the other two have gap between the tubes. The Size is a little bigger than the other two just because it is 10x and the tubes have to be a little longer to create the power. Both my kids are loving it. We tried to look at the moon tonight. It is unbelievably clear and beautiful. Barska was still clear but small. The Bushnell just could not provide a good image and there are some polarized lights look like cross going through the moon. I am going to order more of the Tasco Essentials 10x25.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best value, May 17, 2008
This is simply the best tiny binocular that you can buy for under $20. Images are crispy, it is very easy to focus. You can also compensate the difference of vision between your eyes because you can rotate the right eyepiece. Although diameter is only 21mm, I've got better images than those that I get with another more expensive binos I have (they are 10x25). Because they are 8x21, images are very stable (when magnification goes higher, for example 10x or 12x it is very easy that with a little movement of your hands the image shakes). The material is also very comfortable and provides a very good grip. With daylight, it performs as well as my 8x42 does, this last being heavier. With less light, images are very acceptable, considering the small objective (21mm). They are also extremely light so you can take them always with you. Very good binoculars. 100% recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars nice compact binos for the price, February 26, 2009
I bought these binoculars to replace a very similar set of Tasco 8x21 compact binos that I got about 10 years ago - but recently lost while hiking in eastern Arizona. I have larger binos at home, but wanted something very compact and light in weight that could be carried in my pocket or backpack. I ordered this set (Tasco 8x21) as well as a more powerful set of compact binos Barska Lucid 16x32 Compact Binocular (Camouflage) from Amazon. Delivery of both sets was very quick. This Tasco set is quite bright and clear, and the adjustment thumbwheel is tight and accurate. I like this pair for carrying in my pocket while hiking as they are just about right for spotting birds that are in bushes and treetops along the trail. Their small size makes them ideal for carrying in a jacket pocket. They're also a nice handy set to keep on the table by the window where I watch hummingbird and seed feeders. I rate them 5 stars because, for their compact size and especially at such a low price, they are really quite decent binos.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, But Not Great, February 15, 2012
JNieporte (Ohio, United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
It's not bad for 12 dollars. That's my summary for these binos. Details, details...

These Tascos are the type of optics you'd buy at Wal-Mart. They feature fold-down eyecups for eyeglasses use, black rubber armoring, and are good for a "normal" person's use.

Field-of-view is 383 feet at 1000 yards; 128 meters at 1000 meters. Exit pupil is 2.6mm and the binos weigh 6.6 ounces. The lenses are fully coated, and this is a roof prism set. Focus is adjusted via the dial in the center, and fine-tuning is via diopter ring on the right side. What does all this mean?

In layman's terms, the zoom (8) is good for untrained optic users. The number 8 means that you'll see things 8 times closer than you would over your unaided eye. I've found that this is ideal for people with no experience with optics; any less and it won't be powerful enough, and any more powerful and the user's natural movements will cause image shake. Exit is 21mm; this lets in a fair amount of light. Clarity is okay, as I've found that the focus dial in the center only gets you so far. Even by playing with the diopter adjusted as best I can get it, I'd say these binoculars are good for reading the license plate number across a long parking lot. Think 90 yards or so. As long as you're not watching objects for a long time, I think you'll be fine. Any longer than a few minutes and your eyes start to hurt. Typical of inexpensive optics.

The rubber armoring does its job; nothing special. The fold-down eyecups are for use without removing your eyeglasses, and they work as advertised. The binoculars have a neck strap attached; it's not removable and is rounded (not flat). It's long enough for any neck, and is sturdy enough to keep the binos around your neck while running. The included lens cleaning cloth is okay, but it's better than nothing. The carrying case is black nylon, and the fabric feels like a cheap eyeglass case. It closes with a Velcro strip, which hasn't started to fray or rip yet. The belt loop is a length of black nylon webbing, and will fit a belt up to 2" wide. Mine has started to pull apart at the bottom stitch, but oh well. I don't expect top quality for twelve dollars.

Give it a try if you're strapped for cash or are buying multiple units for family members.

3.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for?, March 10, 2007
For the price, it's difficult to find fault with these binoculars. Tasco is evidently trying hard to make a high-value product (not just a toy) at an extremely competitive price. They are light, small, reasonably solid, and for the price I never worry about taking them into situations where they might get a little wet or a little mechanical abuse (e.g., bumps or scrapes).

So these would be a great choice for occasional or emergency use (e.g., to throw in a glove compartment or emergency bag, or to take hiking or backpacking), when having a small, lightweight, relatively high-power set of binoculars would be beneficial.

If you'll be using these for extended periods of time, I would encourage you to keep looking. The eye relief isn't great, so if you wear glasses you won't be able to see the full field of view. Also, and it could just be my pair, mine do not focus very sharply (spherical aberration?), especially at larger distances.

Also, be aware that these are probably best for active outdoors activities (hiking, hunting, etc.) in bright light -- if you can put up with the extra weight and cost, you might be better served by a pair with larger effective aperture and corresponding exit pupil (e.g., 10x42 or even 10x50) for pursuits like astronomy or (more sedentary) birding. This is not a criticism of these binoculars; they are designed to be 10x25, so the only thing I might complain about is the transmission of the AR coating, but that's simply not fair at this price point.

If you do get a pair, do some thorough field testing as soon as you get them, and return them if they don't suit your expectations.

Three stars may be too tough on these, but they're just not good enough optically to warrant more. Still, especially given their price, they're a whole lot better than nothing in a pinch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little item, April 17, 2010
I expected something really cheap, since I was paying so little, but I was very surprised by the excellent quality. About the only thing I would beef up is the strap. The item itself is very well made, if you aren't looking for something costing five times the price, and they feel substantial in the hand.

I bought these for my mother, who is a nursing home patient, in order for her to occupy her time in looking out the window at the birds (and the construction men; as she says, she may be old but she's not dead, lol.) I needed something that was strong enough for her to be able to drop without breaking but light enough for her to hold comfortably. This fits the bill. She's had them for a few months and must have dropped them (from wheelchair height) at least 6 times. They are still holding up beautifully and show no signs of breakage.

I really appreciate the fact that they aren't cheap plastic. There are actually cheap plastic kids ones that are more expensive than this! Great value. Keep in mind, however, that they are very compact; you aren't getting a big binoculars. That, actually, was best for my situation. I couldn't ask for more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for quality compact binoculars, November 19, 2009
sprockets (Indiana, USA) - See all my reviews
These little binoculars are a great value and very well-constructed. I purchased them specifically for concert and theatre use, which they are well-suited for. I wear eyeglasses and find the binoculars compatible with glasses. The binoculars came in a small paperboard box (about 4.25" x 2.25"). Included are a felt-like carrying case, a neck strap (thin cord) and a lens cleaning cloth. I'm very pleased with the binoculars and plan to purchase more as gifts. They arrived at my door in two days (with free shipping!) with my amazon prime membership.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tasco Essentials 8x21 reviewed, January 23, 2009
I bought this binocular for my 9-year old great-grandson, remembering how much my first binoculars meant to me. I was impressed with the quality and the clarity of the image for so inexpensive a binocular. While the limited field may not make these the ideal binoculars for an introduction to birding, they are just fine for seeing what's on the feeder and beyond.

4.0 out of 5 stars Binoculars, January 22, 2013
C. Jackson (Chapel Hill, NC USA) - See all my reviews
You look through them, things are bigger. I bought these mostly for casual birdwatching and stadium use, because they are very small, compress down to a smaller, pocket size, and were cheap. For the money they are pretty good binoculars, but for the size and price you should know what you're getting. The aperture is small so in low-light situations there is a significant decrease in quality, but the focus is very fine so you can get a good image most of the time. I think I probably bought the best pair of under-20 binoculars I could have found, but at the same time there's a reason why a good pair of binoculars can easily cost 20 times that.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good disposable emergency travel binoculars, November 29, 2008
Good disposable emergency travel binoculars

I bought these binoculars to leave in my SUV as an emergency backup when I forget my excellent Nikon 7216 Action 8 X 40 Binoculars. They are much lighter and smaller and I can leave in my map holder on the door or even in my pocket and forget I even have them which leaves the old saying binoculars are only good if you have them with you. And that's where these binoculars shine they are very tiny and very light.

They do bring things in close and after a little bit of focusing and adjusting width you can make things out if you have plenty of light. The little case they come with is pretty decent as well.

Now for the bad parts. The eye relief is pretty bad, you will have to prop your eye glasses above them and or remove them to use. Also they are pretty dim which of course a lot of cheaper 10x25 binoculars are. The strap is a small little string that does the job but is pretty thin. But hey for the price go ahead and purchase a couple one for your coat pocket and one for your vehicle oh and maybe one for your camera bag.

These would be a great pair to have children learn on as if they drop or abuse them its no big deal.

Pros:

Nice case
Super small size
Super light weight
Disposable price tag
Great learning binocular to hand to small children

Cons:

So so focusing
Just Ok low light ability
Just Ok optics
Not water tight or resistant

Verdict:

Purchase as disposable emergency travel binoculars and or as a toy for children to learn birding with and no more.

12-3-2008 Update:

Went to the store and tested a lot of different small bincoulars trying to find a pair that are almost as good as my Nikon Action 7216 8x40's and found the perfect one. If you need small and want a good view and a good price get the Nikon 7508 Travelite 8 X 25mm V Binoculars. They are: light (8.9 oz), fit the hand well are well made and very bright in the viewfinder for their size.