Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on July 19, 2013
This game presents a great challenge but I miss a few more instructions.
I've been a gamer since Atari 2600, and usually, you had a very creative booklet to explain every detail - the instructions were half the fun since the graphics and sound weren't.
This app has good graphics and sound but doesn't tell you a lot.
Yeah, you have to conquer all stars.
Your troops go where you tell them to, you can SPLIT deployment.
How do I know that? Trial and error, though it IS mentioned casually somewhere in the tutorial - the tutorial is okay and tells you everything ONCE - I still prefer an ingame guide.
There's the multiplayer option of course, and upgrades.
There are many upgradable abilities, but again, little explanation.
It took me almost 14 minutes to win the first round, that was close to the time limit. That wouldn't have happened with better instructions.
4 stars, it's a GREAT game, just not very well explained.
Does the AI have pity on you if you choose the beginner level?
Not really, just try it :)
22 comments|62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 19, 2013
I've seen this game around, and thought I'd give it a try sometime. Lo and behold, it is offered as a Free App of the Day. Intrigued, I jumped in and took it for a spin versus the AI, only to be disappointed; maybe playing against friends is a better experience. After all, the developer went to *great length* to make this accessible via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Lan, WAN (Internet) or even on the same device, which is the best thing about this app, and worthy of praise.

Still, as a single-player game it falls short on several fronts. The game has a tutorial, of sorts. It gives you a *couple* of pointers and that's it. There is no explanation to speak of regarding the mechanics, or really much on how to control the game. It is rather frustrating to play a strategy game when you don't know the rules of how the game interprets winning or losing. Furthermore, it can reach a stalemate position which means if you are behind there's no way to win. Equally bad is being in a stalemate position with no way to lose. That's boring. Of course, you can end at any time, so the moment you are winning you can stop the game and boost your stats. That means that the stats on the leaderboard aren't worth a hoot since they can be 'gamed'.

Speaking of leaderboards, it seems your stats are posted whether you like it or not as long as you have network access enabled. Disturbingly, according to the app each device you use it on is uniquely identified, which I am not fond about. Smacks of spying. It gets worse: you can only play this on one device at a time, apparently. You can 'move' your profile from one device to the other, but it is deleted from the device from which it came. I'm interested in backing up the data, exporting it to another device, then restoring the data just to see what it does.

The app disables the back button, which is irritating. One screen that really needs to be reworked is the "Ability" screen. If you want to go back, you have to "Accept". There is no "Cancel" or "Back" option, and the back button doesn't work.

The game has the IAP permission, but I haven't *YET* seen any in-app purchase requests or ads. Difficult to trust apps these days, so that's something to keep in mind for future updates/upgrades, after the mass of reviews have been written.

The biggest gripe I have is that the instructions or tutorials just aren't sufficient enough. If the developer adds sufficient explanation, instruction, and/or tutorial I will be glad to bump this up another star to four stars. But I'm still also concerned that this can only be played on one device at a time, or at least a 'profile' can only be played on one device at a time. As long as that is the case, this app cannot get the fifth and final star from me.

I'd love to give this more stars, so I'm hoping the developer takes this review to heart and makes a few changes; I'm willing to re-review an app if the developer is responsive and communicative.

As it is now, it may or may not be worth $2 to the player. I, for one, can't endorse it for all the reasons I stated.
22 comments|82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I really enjoy this fast paced RTS game. The graphics are not that good but the game play is very fun and easy to understand but hard to master.

Pros:
Easy to understand basics
Good interface with little lag
Can be quite challenging (I don't know about you but I like a bit of a challenge in strategy games)
Playable with players not just computers.

Cons:

Just so you know:
This game has a steep learning curve. Its very easy at first but there is an extreme difference between a player who has played it for 15 minutes and 15 days. Take my advice and play verse computers first.

I simply love this game, Over the last week I have downloaded 40 some odd games and only kept 2 this is one of the 2 and I don't see myself getting bored of it any time soon. Take my advice and get the free copy at least you will be hooked :)
on September 24, 2015
Got this as one of my last FAOTD (RIP). I installed it because the permissions were not invasive. It's a solid 4 star app maybe even a 5 except for the permissions creap in the last update.

No new features just the ability to know more about my phone and network? 1 star until a solid reason for this is provided or until the permission is removed. I did not and will not upgrade until the matter is resolved.
on October 15, 2015
I rea lly liked this game! I've played one similar to this one, but this one is better! Basically, how this games goes is this: It's a galactic conquest, meaning there's a random galaxy, and the object of the game is to gain control of all of the planets. Unlike most galactic conquests I've played like ones in Star Wars games, you have a number by all of your planets. That number is how big your fleet is. If you battle an enomy fleet that is smaller then yours, you're sure tomgain control of that planet. The more planets you have, the more ships you produce since planets produce ships per second. Eventually, you'll gain control of every planet and win, unless your opponet(s) do it first and defeat you. There can be an challenge depending on how good you are and how hard a difficulty you set the smokies to be. Practice and strategy are key skills for this game, and it's really fun. I think there's even a multiplayer mode, maybe. I can't remember. Either way, it's really fun in single player. Again, it's really fun. Thank you for reading my review of the galactic conquest game Starlink, and I hope that I could help you decide wether or not you decide to get it. Thanks!
on August 10, 2015
This is a fun game! It takes a little bit to understand how to play it, but the game mechanics are easy to pick up, and once you do, you'll find this to be enjoyable for quick games or long, drawn-out wars of attrition, depending on the difficulty level you choose or the number of opponents.

It's basically a real-time island-hopping game (or star-hopping, in this case). Every star system you own produces ships. Divert those ships to other star systems to capture them. Capture all star systems and you win the game. Victories will advance your rank and allow you to gain bonuses that help with production or combat or defense or whatever. Each star system may have some production/defensive bonuses as well. The key to victory is to carefully monitor the flow of battle and to stop the flow of ships or divert them to an area of need. The pace of the game is steady but not frantic. There is an option to play offline against the computer or online vs a human opponent. I play offline, personally.
on July 19, 2013
The game plays well and looks good but beyond that offers no real charm. The tutorial doesn't tell you much about how to play, so you have to figure it out yourself. Double tapping a planet makes some little explosion thing, but why? Why do planets sometimes create the little orbs (ships?) and sometimes they do not?
The AI is also pretty annoying. Even on beginner it seems to know things the player cannot. Example; the enemy AI knows when you have few orb/ships on a planet and immediately attacks, every single time it happens. The player doesn't know how many enemies there are unless attacking or exploring.
Yet another issue I found was that as you progress, the game zooms out for you, but I couldn't find a way to zoom back in. Maybe there is one, maybe not, but it should be easier to do.
I played it for a while but ultimately decided to remove it from my phone. Hopefully these issues will be sorted out and I can give it another try.
on August 8, 2015
Starlink is one of the best of a small field of RTS games that is based on classical GO tactics (the traditional Chinese strategy game, not the card game). The object of the game is to expand and conquer more territory than your opponents, or ideally obliterate them completely, before the time is up.

Pros:
1. Controls better than most RTS in this category.
2. I love the ability to rank up and unlock special abilities
3. Great difficulty controls - very challenging on the harder modes.
4. Multiplayer is a nice touch.
5. No glitches whatsoever while playing.

Cons:
1. The graphics of the "ships" is terrible compared to that of the background. Needs some polish.
2. There's no real "campaign" mode. Just duels over and over. Would be nice to have a kind of "story mode".

All in all, great game, especially if you picked it up as the free app of the day on Kindle. I hope the developers check out Phage Wars 2 and make some modifications. This could be a truly 5-star game.
on August 3, 2015
If you've played Galcon, you won't have much trouble picking up Starlink. This is a real-time strategy game that's all about shuffling your spaceships from one star system to another with the goal of conquering the entire galaxy. I've only been playing for a few hours, but I've got the hang of the basics and look forward to unlocking more special powers so I can play against higher AI levels. I'll update this review if needed, I mainly wanted to say that it's fun and I'm glad I got it as FAOTD. Unless there are some hidden negatives, I think it's worth two bucks.

I've experienced a few of the negatives I read about -- for example the disabling of the Back button; the lack of confirmation when touching the Resign button -- but I play on my Nexus 7v2 and I only resigned once because I didn't know what that button was. So far it runs smoothly on my tablet -- I'd probably hate to play it on a phone. Galcon is a 5 star game, but I give Starlink a 4 because it isn't as well executed.

P.S. I wouldn't call Starlink a Galcon clone, but it's similar in many ways.
on September 1, 2015
This game desperately needs an expanded tutorial and some sort of help menu. There is a tutorial, but it is brief and not particularly effective at explaining what is a surprisingly complicated game. Worst of all, there is no "help" button or "info" button, so when I come across a mechanic that the minimal tutorial did NOT explain, there is no way to figure it out. Moreover, if I need a reminder on a particular mechanic or button - no way to figure it out. It's a shame, because the concept is fun, and I generally like this type of "large-scale" army management game.