Tassimo or Keurig ? I am trying to decide between the Bosch Tassimo and the Keurig B70. Both have some great reviews and some poor reviews. I don't want to make the wrong decision. Any advice?
asked by Mezzy on December 7, 2008
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 33 answers
A
votes
I've used both extensively. I prefer the Keurig. The Tassimo drools water all over the counter after every use. Very annoying. I have no idea why they haven't fixed this problem. And it's so loud it wakes the whole household if you're the first one up. The only advantage to the Tassimo that I can see is that Starbucks coffee is available for it, but not for the Keurig. Still, Keurig includes a plastic K-Cup you can put any coffee into if you want to go to the trouble. And you store this gizmo in the machine itself so it won't get lost. You can brew four different cup sizes with the Keurig. Just one with the Tassimo. You can buy the coffee at Walmart and a lot of grocery stores if you're using the Tassimo. Target and Bed, Bath & Beyond carry the K-Cups for the Keurig and the T-discs for the Tassimo.
J. Cartwright answered on December 31, 2008

A
votes
In response to J. Cartwright's post. The newly designed Tassimo by Bosch does not "drool" water (the old braun model did) and the noise factor has been fixed in the Bosch model. I had owned the old Braun model and it did have its problems however the newly designed Bosch model is a HUGE improvement over the Braun. Also, with the Tassimo, you can spend anywhere from 4.99 (Maxwell House coffee available at Target) for pods on up to 8.99. I am completely satisfied with the Tassimo. I own the premium model w/ integrated water filter and a couple other features over the base model. Paid 139.00
Kurt answered on March 14, 2009

A
votes
I cannot speak to the Keurig, but I do own a Bosch Tassimo and am very pleased. The machine is quiet and does not take up a lot of counter space. As soon as you turn it on it is ready to brew. It reminds me of an insta-hot faucet. My husband prefers the coffee from our old Senseo. I have purchased every type of coffee the Tassimo has to offer and he hasn't been impressed with any one in particular. I love both hot chocolates made for the machine and often use the "cleaning disc" to just get hot water for tea. The lattes turned out great, and I love the frothy milk discs. I would suggest seeing if a local store can let you try coffee from both (a lot of times Bed Bath and Beyond will have machines in the back that reps bring in for the employees to use). I am very happy with the Tassimo. I think you probably can't go wrong with either if you are just using it for coffee. If you like milk based drinks you might like the Tassimo better. If you prefer flavored coffees maybe the Keurig. I order our coffee from tassimodirect.com. I have noticed that the availability of the keurig coffee is much better in the stores near me. I'm sure you'll like either one. Good luck!
Cat Lover answered on May 3, 2009

A
votes
The Bosch Tassimo can make very good coffee but the selection of coffees is limited and most aren't the best to me. The European coffees are the best. The Keurig makes watery and thin coffee even at the 5 oz size with extra bold K-cups. I think Keurig needs to slow down the brewing process to allow more coffee/water contact. More coffee in the k-cup would also help. Keuring has an excellent website and a wide selection of coffees from top roasters... too bad the machine can't match the coffee. If you like light, watery coffee, as many people do, the Keurig could be your machine. If you like a full bodied, dark roast, drip or french press, you'll be disappointed.
Plant Doctor answered on June 8, 2011

A
vote
You are so right!...When the heated coffee maker is unplugged...there is a possibility, that a vacuum is produced in the reservoir heater. The sound you hear, is the vibration of the check valve in the machine as it relieves the vacuum.
It's the same scenario like when heated food in a slow cooker is turned off, and the food cools. Burping noises are sometimes heard when the vacuum created from the cooled vessel are relieved through and around the top water seal in some instances. This has happened to me several times.
Mrs. F. answered on October 16, 2009

A
votes
Hmm. Ineresting posts. I own a Tassimo, not a Keurig. Tassimo was cheaper and more compact (the Keurig's a monster). Keurig does sell a 'mini' variant.

Contrary to some of these posts, I've had absolutely no poblems whatsoever with my Tassimo - love it. I own two now, one for home and one for work.

I've seen no shortage of supply of T-discs at grocery stores, so despite some posters' apparent revelling at the prospect of a potential future keurig monopoly (why? - not sure why any consumer would be a fan of price-increasing monopolies), Tassimo seems to be doing well enough. Bosch is a highly reliable manufacturer.

As has been stated, if variety is your thing, then go with a Keurig, if you're like me and some of the other posters, and there's really only a few coffee/tea/hot chocolate brands you prefer, then variety isn't much of a factor.

Oh, and I'm of the crowd that feels Starbucks coffee is highly over-rated.
Robert Whitwell answered on January 4, 2012

A
vote
I have used both brands, but gave up on Tassimo some time ago. I have been a Keurig fan for over 2 years now using it both at the office and at home. I love the huge variety and the ability to adjust to my liking. I love the Keurig is so widely used that the coffee it always fresh.
Here are some answers to some of the negative press: If your Keurig shuts off after one cup, read the directions. You have it set to do so. Set it to always on.
Short cuts are a cleaning issue - I promise. The scale or calcium has built up and does this more for infrequent users. If you use every day, you are less likely to have this happen. But it is easily remidied with an overnight vinegar flush (see the manual or website) and a bent paperclip to quickly clean the spouts. My favorite is a commercial decaler very cheap on Amazon. There is no need to get mad or frustrated. Even the best of restaurants have water residue in the coffee pots and have to clean them. Call Keurig for excellent service even if you are out of warranty. They will walk you through the process and stay on the line until you are happy.
My vote is for Keurig - every day!
Amazon Frequent Flyer answered on September 28, 2011

A
vote
I cannot really speak for the Keurig machines, as I have only occasionally had coffee brewed in a friend's, and it seemed fine, but as the owner of four Tassimo (Bosch) machines, all purchased in Dec. 2010, I can offer an informed and experienced opinion. First, I'll say that I really like the machine, in spite of the recent recall for exploding discs (I have had this happen twice, but no injuries - just messes). Note that they will send you a new disc tray as part of the recall. Strictly speaking for the machine - I love it. The problem is the coffee and the discs themselves, as well as the customer service at Tassmo. Many of the discs have a problem where it's as if some of the grounds plug up the opening in the disc aout halfway through the brew process, and when enough pressur builds up, one of two things happens: Either the disc ruptures spraying hot water and grounds everywhere (requiring a major cleanup); or the blocking coffee grounds finally let go and the force of the water rushing out carries most of the rest of grounds right through the disc and into your coffee cup. The problem is not isolated to one brewer (remember I own four of them) or even to one brand - although the Gevalia branded discs seem to do it most often. Perhaps, most frustrating is Tassimo's customer service responses regarding the T-Disc problems. Until recently, if you called them, you would end up speaking to someone in the Philippines, who never seemed to care about, or solve your problem. Now, they apparently have a domestic service center, but sadly, the representatives are no better at listening to your problems - much less solving them. The other problem, in my area anyway (suburban Chicago and SE Wisconsin), is availability and variety of coffee. It seems that in every case, coffee is much more widely available for the Kuerig. So in conclusion, my opinion is that Bosch did a pretty good job with the machine itself, but Kraft has dropped the ball in a big way with the coffee and the customer service. I will be buying and trying a Kuerig.
JGrits answered on February 10, 2012

A
vote
i would not buy another Tassimo. I have had discs explode, their recall number takes your info and does nothing. I am disappointed with the service I have or lack of service I have received.
I am now awaiting a replacement part and replacemen t boxes of coffee. I hope my original faith in the machine is restored but I am having my doubts. I have a hard time finding coffee on the shelves in my grocery stores where they are loaded with the Keurig brand. this is is disappointing I paid alot more for the Tassimo then I would have for the Keurig. If I was buying another I would choose Keurig.
Joanne E, Gledhill answered on April 16, 2012

A
votes
My brother's Braun Tassimo did have some issues, but my Bosch works perfectly. I love the coffee -- most any brand except Gevalia. I will say, though, that the variety of brands/brews available for the Keurig is tempting. Still, I can't imagine the coffee tasting any better.
T. Henderson answered on April 17, 2009
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   Next ›