Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: A Taste of Haiti (Hippocrene Cookbook Library)
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on May 19, 2002
As a hatian american i've been looking for years for a haitian cookbook, but just like the author stated in her book you just couldn't find any. This book is very easy to read and understand. This book has your everyday dishes and recipes for special occasians, there is something in it for everyone. You can find the ingredients at your supermarket. And what i love is that she puts the english, french, and creole when she titles the recipe. That way everybody knows what she is talking about. It's true good thing comes to those who wait. I can't brag enough about this book. Just like i said go buy it.
on September 13, 2005
Although this is not the first Haitian cookbook on the North American market, it is an excellent resource! "A Taste of Haiti" is filled with authentic recipes and family remembrances of Haitian foodways. It is a great introduction to Haitian cooking. Also recommended, "The Art & Soul of Haitian Cooking". An award winning cookbook published in 2001 by The Haitian Institute in Washington, DC.
on November 27, 2002
As a haitian american, I truely love this book. It provides me with the little details needed to cook like my Mom. Thank Mirta for putting it down on paper.
on May 19, 2006
As a twice-times visitor to Haiti and now an adoptive mom to Haitian children not yet home, I have very much wanted to obtain authentic Haitian recipes and get to practice. I appreciate the easy-to-follow, straight forward instructions and history/origin provided for many of the recipes. My yummy favorites (and easy to start with)...Diri kole ak pwa rouj -- and -- Bannann peze. This cookbook will provide one simple way for me to help keep Haitian culture alive in my adopted childrens' lives. Thank you, Mirta!
on October 8, 2003
My Wife recently bought this fabulous book for me at our local bookstore and I have say, WOW. The recipes could not be more accurate. There has been no manipulation of recipes to accomodate the unadventerous. It's nice to see something like this book finally happen in the 21st century.
on July 1, 2006
Authentic Haitian recipes......gotta love it. Everytime I want to get a home cooked meal, I go cheaper than traveling back home to NY, and cook up a recipe from this book. The author has done an excellent job of researching authentic ingredients and following the recipes my family have also created over the years. This is a collector's item for me, no other cookbook rates higher for Haitian cooking. My sister has been begging me to get her a copy for years, maybe I should finally buy one for her!
on December 1, 2005
I was so excited to find there was a haitian cookbook out there for me to buy. I am a haitian american and I didn't watch my mother cook when I was growing up( I was too busy playing. lol) So, this book makes me realize now that it's not to late for me learn. I will be able to pass on the tradition to the next generation.
on February 13, 2007
This book is exactly what I was looking for. Many recipes from other authors are just wrong or totally confusing. But the book of Mrs Thomas is very detailed, easy to follow, which is exactly what I wanted, and the recipes' details look delicious.

I am about to buy this book now, and I want to say to Myrta and her family: GOOD JOB!!! Not only for the recipes but for the tales and all.

I am a young haitian woman who used to be a rebel and never wanted to learn how to cook. Now I am trying to learn because to me haitian food is the best. I am helped by my family and friends but with Mrs Thomas' book, I think and I hope that the learning process will be a lot easier.
on October 3, 2006
This is a wonderful resource for those who are unfamiliar with Haitian cuisine and those of us who did not watch our Haitian mothers in the kitchen. Each dish's name is accompanied by its Creole, French and English name. I found this to be extremely helpful. I love the introductory paragraphs at the beginning of some recipes, explaining the history and/or meaning of the dishes. This definitely puts what you are cooking into perspective and makes the dishes more personal. My only criticism is the lack of photos. A photo of a dish or two would have been an excellent visual, and I say this on behalf of those who are not familiar with Haitian cuisine.

Definitely a fixture in the kitchen.
on September 24, 2009
Like the author, Mirta Yurnet-Thomas, mentioned in her book, there are not a lot of Haitian cookbooks out there. I am very glad that I bought this book because it has about 100 recipes that I can follow and cook for my family. The author didn't just write a book full of recipes. She also added Haiti's history, cultural traditions, Haiti's art and music, and history of different kinds of Haitian food. She also has a story for each of the recipes; some of them are really interesting.
The book "A Taste of Haiti" is written in English. Therefore, it attracts people of different backgrounds, such as non-creole speakers. But the author didn't forget about the non-English speakers either. There are also translations of the food names. To name a few examples:
- Chicken fritters .......... Marinad ak poul
- Creole conch .............. Lanbi
- Pork bits ................. Griyo
- Corn flour drink .......... Akasan and many more...
This is a very good book and I'm enjoying it so much. My husband has been going for seconds since I started following these recipes. Buy it!!! You won't regret it because it'll be worth it.

D.P.S.