Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your email address or mobile phone number.
Taste of Home Baking, All NEW Edition: 725+ Recipes & Variations from Classics to Best Loved! Ring-bound – September 20, 2011
Top 20 lists in Books
View the top 20 best sellers of all time, the most reviewed books of all time and some of our editors' favorite picks. Learn more
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
|Length: 3:48 Mins|
Some very good and helpful parts of the cookbook are the equivalent chart, substitutions chart, and the first chapter on baking basics. Baking basics needs to be read first, so you know what flour, salt, etc they use, and what they mean by different words like the difference between stiff peaks and soft peaks.
With taste of home one isn't getting recipes that take four days to make, fifteen pages of techniques, and a bunch of one use only baking equipment. The ingredients are easy to find, most people will have 75% in their fridge and pantry already and the rest can easily be picked up in almost any market.
The book is pretty to look out, has a ton of pictures showing the end results, there are tips galore, at the beginning, end, and scattered throughout the recipes.
I usually don't like spiral books but with over 700 recipes it almost needs to be, or trying to lay the book out would cause spine damage. One very slick feature (shown on my video) are the page protectors included. Seriously, this is brilliant and should set the standard for all notebook type cookbooks.
Included is a year's subscription to Taste of Home magazine.
But it's all about how the food turns out.Read more ›
The directions are very clear and easy-to-follow, even for my 9 y.o., who is a novice baker.
Unfortunately, the results of those attempts have been a decidedly mixed bag.
(1) Walnut-Caramel Sticky Buns on pg. 400. These were *AMAZING* and definitely worth the time spent.
(2) Apple Crunch Muffins on pg. 298. My kids inhaled these.
(3) Chewy Soft Pretzels on pg. 361. I'd never before made pretzels and these turned out well.
(4) Chocolate-Strawberry Celebration Cake on. pg. 419 (pictured in the lower right hand corner of the cover). I was skeptical about this "semi-homemade" recipe that uses boxed cake mix & instant pudding as its base. But I got lots of compliments on it from guests at my daughter's birthday.
(1) Orange Brownies on pg. 94. These were yummy but didn't taste at all orange-y.
(2) Morning Glory Muffins on pg. 298. These took 40 minutes to bake rather than the 20-25 minutes specified in the recipe. They also fell apart when taken out of the muffin tin. The taste was good, however.
(3) Vermont Honey Wheat Bread on pg. 330. The resulting loaf didn't look appetizing but tasted good. The leftovers made great French Toast the next morning.
(1) Chunky Blonde Brownies on pg. 103. They never baked properly.Read more ›
My turn in the kitchen I decided to make the Home-Style Yeast Bread. Well it came out super light & super crumbly. Not happy with it at all. Since yeast breads are so easy to mess up, it is highly possible that it is my fault. I normally make sourdough bread so I'm not used to fast rising yeast. I also made the Cinnamon Raisin Bread. I liked that a lot better because it was much more dense. I think I didn't let it rise long enough! Ugh! Oh well!
Let's see since I got the book we have also made, Oatmeal Raisin Cookies (these were a disaster totally flat & the second they cooled even a tad they were glued to the cookie sheet it was horrible), Soft Sugar Cookies (these were bland & cake like, but I think it's my fault. I will have to try again), Peanut Butter Cheesecake (yummy!), Simply Fudgy Brownies (Yum!) & many more. I have been flipping through the book while typing this trying to remember everything.
Even though every recipe hasn't been perfect or to our liking, I know we have a great baking book on our hands.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
It never showed up the second time I ordered it. It's a great book if it arrives. I had one before my family lost everything in a fire so I wanted another one. Read morePublished 17 days ago by Paula Lince-Goetsch
Awesome cookbook. I purchased this for my high school daughter who loves to bake. Its a great comprehensive book that she will use for years.Published 1 month ago by Linda MB
I love this book nice recipes the book was more than i expected .This was a nice one to add to my collectionPublished 5 months ago by mel
Lots of good recipes in this book. I enjoy cooking and baking so this is a good book to try new recipes out of. Like the extra tips throughout the book. Read morePublished 9 months ago by Ruth Smith
I love the cookbook...The delivery service was very fast and amazing and very much appreciated.Published 9 months ago by Verna J. Stornetta
Last one for me. I have them all. Great cookbook yes get it. I bought a used one. Came in as if it were brand new.Published 11 months ago by Teresa Dean