‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A comprehensive holiday cookbook, October 8, 2013
I'm a big fan of Taste of Home and I wasn't let down with this cookbook.

The chapters covered:
Festive Appetizers, Holiday Parties, Joyful Brunches, Christmas Dinner Menu, Merry Entrees, Jolly Sides, Glorious Breads, Yuletide Cookies and Bars, Heavenly Desserts, Candy Sampler, Gifts from the Kitchen and Thanksgiving Gathering.

Although it is advertised as a Christmas book, there are a lot of everyday and special recipes you can use all year. Taste of Home books have recipes contributed by REAL cooks, so they tend to be good! Like Gooseberry Patch, they tend to repeat recipes, but with 465 recipes in this book, I didn't find that to be a problem--it just makes it a handy reference for old and new. MANY new recipes and even a few crafts/decorations and tips.

I would recommend the Tomato Walnut Pesto Spread, Cookie Dough Truffles, Crispy Peanut Butter Balls, Sweet Potato Casserole, among others. I'm very excited to try the Fast Coconut Shrimp, Almond Pastry Puffs, Garlic Baby Potatoes, Coconut Crunch Cookies and Nutty Marshmallow Puffs (for starters).

The photographs in this book are lovely and enticing. It is very important to me that cookbooks have pictures of the recipes, and this one has a picture for almost every recipe. The recipes are well laid out (not cut to other pages making it hard to reference), use accessible ingredients and are easy to follow.

I cook and bake every day, but I will pass most cookbooks on after I have culled a few recipes from them. This one I'm keeping!

4.0 out of 5 stars Recipes for Real!, October 18, 2013
I collect cook books hoping some day to find the perfect cookbook for my southern upbringing and easy enough for most of us. I knew this one had to be at least good because it is published by Taste of Home. They are all pretty good, or better. This one is the Christmas and Holiday cookbook. I don't see anything in it that I couldn't come up with to take to a pot luck holiday gathering. One good idea is looking at the book and if in a hurry...do it semi-homemade. The holidays are coming up and the book has a special feature of holiday crafts to make your table beautiful and inviting. Beautiful things made from clear containers with Epson Salts for snow and a sprig of evergreen. How hard is that? Nothing more personal than simple place cards with guests' names spruced up with a little something. This book would also be good for the newly wed who hasn't yet gotten their dish repertoire together. I am writing a lot about this book because it is a great one and good ones are hard to find.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Cookbook--Makes Me Hungry!, December 11, 2013
I have never been disappointed with any Taste of Home cookbook I've bought, and this one is no exception. Its soft-cover and about 3/4 size of the ToH hardcover cookbooks they put out every year. I noticed a few overlaps between this book and the dozen or so ToH cookbooks I already own, but its ever so nice to have holiday recipes all in one book.

This cookbook includes recipes for breads, appetizers, brunch and dinner, side dishes, cookies/bars, desserts and candies, plus recipes for things you can give as gifts (including those jars with cookie ingredients in them) and even a section on Thanksgiving recipes, despite this being a Christmas cookbook. It has full color wonderful pictures with just about every recipe, plus it has the added bonus of instructions/ideas for decorating your table for parties, etc.

The recipes range from pretty dern simple to a bit fussier. Something for every homecook no matter their experience level. This book definitely got me in the holiday mood and already thinking of my next party, since I want to try out so many of the recipes. Heck, I might even try and make one of the fruitcake recipes in here...that's how much I trust ToH to come up with good recipes!

Once again, ToH has produced a beautiful cookbook. A definite keeper and one I will likely be ordering more of to give as gifts in future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mother loved it., January 1, 2014
My mother is an awesome cook and loves cookbooks. I gave her this one for a little thanksgiving gift and she loves it. Taste of Home cookbooks are really nice. Easy recipes with beautiful illustrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and filled with plenty of holiday recipes, December 14, 2013
This review is from: Taste of Home Christmas: 465 Recipes For a Merry Holiday! (Kindle Edition)
The Taste of Home Christmas: 465 Recipes For a Merry Holiday! cookbook is filled with plenty of beautiful photos and delicious sounding recipes. You will find friendly and sometimes funny introductions accompanying the recipes. There is an interactive table of contents making navigation easy.

Some of the recipes you will find in this cookbook include:

Smoked Salmon Appetizer Crepes

Recommend.

Penmouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Christmas Recipes, November 8, 2013
Gerald Beasley (Inola, OK United States) - See all my reviews
I love almost all Taste of Home cookbooks and this one does not fail to impress. It is filled with wonderful recipes for the upcoming Christmas season and I can't wait to try them all!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes, October 12, 2013
I go thru cookbooks like a novel almost, there are so many recipes I want to try. Having a family reunion again this year & will definitely use a lot of the recipes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Marvelous recipes for any special occasion!, November 19, 2014
Taste of Home Christmas: 465 Recipes For a Merry Holiday is a delightful collection of holiday recipes. Contents include Festive Appetizers, Holiday Parties, Joyful Brunches, Christmas Dinner Menus, Merry Entrees, Jolly Sides, Glorious Breads, Yuletide Cookies and Bars, Heavenly Desserts, Candy Sampler, Gifts from the Kitchen, and Thanksgiving Gathering.

The zesty broccoli could have used a little more seasoning, but was quite good. The chicken breast with cranberry-balsamic sauce was absolutely delightful; I’d happily make it again. The sauce has so much flavor that it makes a great accompaniment to skinless chicken breast. A corn-and-berry couscous also made a delicious side dish, as well as a great boxed lunch (it’s good hot or cold). I wasn’t thrilled by the squash rings, however. They had an odd coating that included cornmeal, and the result was kind of strange.

The recipes in this book are clearly not selected for health, as many recipes call for heavy cream. If you’re big on ‘it’s a holiday–no worries about diet’ then this will be fine. If you’re trying to find low-fat versions of holiday recipes then you’ll need to look elsewhere. The Pesto Pepper Tortellini is made with a package of frozen cheese tortellini. Since these are reader-submitted recipes, some make use of convenience items while others start from scratch. The tortellini dish also calls for a lot of heavy cream and butter. (We substituted half-and-half for the cream and 3T butter for the 1/2c and it was still very rich and delightfully delicious.) Among the other ingredients that made this such a good meal include sweet red pepper and a couple tablespoons of fresh basil.

There is one problem I’ve noticed in this cookbook: a lack of salt in many of the recipes. However, I have a theory about that. Given that these are reader-submitted recipes, it’s possible many of the people who submitted them assumed that salted butter would be used rather than unsalted. (In most cookbooks you always use unsalted butter because you want to have better control over the level of seasoning.) So be sure to taste your recipe for seasoning! This was certainly true of a batch of cheddar muffins we made–sooo delicious, but we had to add salt. Salt is a flavor enhancer, after all.

The first recipe we made from this cookbook was a bacon-wrapped barbecue sauce-slathered shrimp recipe. Delightful! I should note that many of the recipes include photos. Also, the layout is clean and easy to read, except that the instructions are a little bunched up.

Then there’s the fluffy hot chocolate (there are several hot chocolate recipes included in this cookbook). In this recipe you heat milk and stir in cocoa powder, sugar, and mini marshmallows until the marshmallows have melted. The amount of cocoa powder is very small (essentially 1t per serving). In other words, it’s more a marshmallow drink with a touch of chocolate. If what you want is a more chocolatey hot chocolate, then convert the teaspoons of cocoa to tablespoons and you’ll be fine. It’s quite delicious and I look forward to making more of the other varieties included.

While there are a few adjustments we’d make (adding salt to many recipes, adding extra cocoa to that one recipe), the basic recipes are wonderful. I highly recommend picking up your own copy in time for Christmas feasting!

NOTE: Review book provided by publisher.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Love, February 10, 2014
I gave several copies as gifts and have had positive feedback from everyone. I also am pleased for my "Library" of cookbooks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great new recipes!, January 27, 2014
Karen Fish (Woodland, Ca United States) - See all my reviews
The presentation and colored pictures were beautiful..lots of notes from readers. Ordered and gave this book to friends for Christmas. The recipes are for year round, not just the holidays.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›