5.0 out of 5 stars MAN-LOVER'S COOKBOOK, he'll not mind it's healthy
Published on February 4, 2011 by Harold Wolf

1.0 out of 5 stars Same book, different title
I love Taste of Home books and especially the Comfort Food Diet cookbooks BUT this one is identical to Comfort Food Diet 2011 annual cookbook. It'd be nice if they mentioned that somewhere. That's the one thing I don't like about Taste of Home. Most of their cookbooks are either compilations (or duplicates) of other ones.
Published on March 18, 2011 by Buttercup912

5.0 out of 5 stars MAN-LOVER'S COOKBOOK, he'll not mind it's healthy, February 4, 2011
Harold Wolf "Doc" (Wells, IN United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
I'M A MAN. I LOVE THE FOOD. My wife loves the healthy recipes. I'm a 2 heart attack survivor and wish to stay that way, but I enjoy what most men enjoy. This cookbook allows the delights of eating without the danger. She likes the nutrition info on each recipe. She easily finds low salt & fat recipes that I crave. Like "Shepherds Pie", a super salsa, which I beg to be served with "cheese straws", & a thick macho "loaded Mexican pizza." I can't believe it's healthy eating.

She tries to tell me how healthy all of our eating has become, and I appreciate her efforts, and this book. But let's face it, diet books are a dime a dozen. This is more. It's a GREAT FOODS BOOK. First comes a tasty recipe, then they've made it nutritional and heartily healthy. Diabetic needs are addressed too. I've told my wife, "Use this book for a year. Toss out the others. These are man-awesome and healthy. A winner on my plate."

I enjoy sitting with my wife and using the color photos to pick out a different recipe. I've suggested we try next the dessert "caramel apple pizza" because it looks like a treat you'd buy at the State Fair.

She was delighted that the book came with a FREE cooking magazine. And she loves the free access to online weight-loss tools. The front of this book offers tips on weight loss techniques that are man-woman-family friendly. Tips aligned with what my cardiologist suggests. The index is excellent for home-grown food. Example: if you have abundance on squash, go to the squash index and see the list of recipes, including portion calories. Or there is the traditional recipe name index as well.

It's not often that a MAN falls in love with a cookbook. Here is a winner. Buy it, gals, and delight your man, even if he doesn't want to know he's eating healthy.
Of course if you don't like your hubby, or you enjoy him as Portly Pig, buy another cookbook.
My babe (we're in our 60s) wants me around a bit longer, God bless her.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real gem--healthy food that actually tastes good!, May 15, 2011
The last time I tried to eliminate fats and other unhealthy stuff from my family's diet, my husband went from loving my cooking to feeling let down every time he finished a meal. I gotta admit, I like compliments so I eventually slipped back into the same old unhealthy cooking habits.

Then after a not-so-good cholesterol test this year I decided it really was time to get serious about cooking healthy. This was one of several books I bought to help us get back on track. And this time the experience has been totally different!

This book contains not just a few really tasty recipes but loads of tasty recipes. The pecan-crusted chicken, crab-stuffed chicken breasts, light-but-hearty tuna casserole, buffalo chicken burgers and tortellini with salmon-ricotta sauce all get high marks from us. The easy chicken Alfredo is to die for (made with cottage cheese and evaporated milk--amazing!) There are a few other recipes, like the mock Manicotti that were good but could be improved with tweaks (way too spinachy ... my kids were afraid) but overall this cookbook really delivers on its promise of healthy food that tastes great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stands Out as Something Special, February 3, 2011
I have quite a few cookbooks, but The Comfort Food Diet Cookbook, stands out as something special. The quality of the book itself is exactly what I like in a cookbook. Beautiful pictures with almost every recipe and one good recipe after another make this book one I'll go to often. Combine that with nutritional information on each recipe, in addition to a realistic approach to weight loss and this could be the best purchase I've made this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cookbook, January 20, 2011
This is a wonderful cookbook. Pictures for all recipes plus a LOT of additional information beyond just the recipes. I've made a number of dishes - all low calorie and absolutely delicious. It's hard to believe these recipes are low calorie and healthy - the entire family loved them. And, they're very easy and often use staples you probably already have at home. I highly recommend this cookbook!

1.0 out of 5 stars Same book, different title, March 18, 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Realistic recipes for dieting, February 7, 2011
This cookbook has been wonderful. I bought it in hopes of losing some weight while still eating satisfying meals and I was not let down. The best part of this cookbook is that all of the recipes require easy to find and often already on-hand ingredients. I've been using this cookbook for 3 weeks now in conjunction with the previous year's addition and Taste of Home's Guilt Free Cooking and so far I've lost 8 pounds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well organized with tasty recipes, July 4, 2012
I usually like Taste of Home's cookbooks and decided to try this one in an effort to cut some calories while still eating healthy, tasty meals. Boy did this hit the mark! I've bought two of these books so far (I've liked them that much) and have only noticed one or two repeat recipes. It's also incredibly handy for me because it gives photos for most recipes as well as nutritional info. The recipes are broken up into categories such as snacks, breakfast, lunch, dinner, sides, and deserts as well as being color coded and organized from least to most calories per serving. I highly recommend it!

Just a few of my favorite recipes:
Zucchini Fritters (baked, not fried of course)
Hot Buttered Coffee
Simon's Famous Tuna Salad
Open-faced Salmon Sandwiches
Loaded Mexican Pizza

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book ever, January 16, 2011
This is a super book - everyone I have shown it to is buying it. Has lots of menu plans and SUPER good recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cookbook, whether dieting or not!, July 30, 2012
This is the type of cookbook I've been looking for. It's loaded with family-friendly, easy-to-prepare recipes that taste good submitted by home cooks across the country.
I'm not on a weight-loss diet, but, as a high school nutrition teacher I know it's important to keep meals healthy. However, most "healthy" cookbooks are filled with recipes that either sacrifice taste or just don't satisfy my appetite. I hear the same complaint from friends. All the low-calorie recipes in the world won't help a family if no one likes them (everyone just sneaks in junky snacks later because they're still hungry!). Eating should be enjoyable.
This book is loaded with recipes that taste great, yet have moderate calorie counts. Nutrition information is provided for each recipe, along with great photos. The recipes are also divided into categories (ex. lunches) and then subdivided into calories per serving. The ingredients are common ingredients that can be found at almost any grocery store (you probably have many of them in your pantry already). The techniques are uncomplicated and most items are quick to prepare. The front section of the book even gives some good nutrition information without becoming preachy or complicated.
If you're on a starvation-type diet or a tightly restricted plan, this is probably not the book you want. But if you're looking for a source of easy, great recipes that will satisfy a family without adding to your waistline--this is your book.

5.0 out of 5 stars love this cookbook!, December 5, 2011
I own both comfort food diet cookbooks and have the one coming out on December 22 pre-ordered. These are the best cookbooks. Most recipes do not require a lot of ingredients and there are a ton of pictures. I highly recommend these cookbooks. Most of the recipes are fairly easy to do and the food is great. I also love how it have so many choices. It has breakfast, lunch, dinners, desserts & sides.

Rate and Discover Movies