5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, but don't purchase if you have the previous ones
I love this series but this cookbook has the exact same recipes as previous ones. I will not purchase any new ones until they start putting new recipes in it. Otherwise it's like buying the same book twice just different covers.
Published on February 10, 2012 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money
Almost every recipe was fish of some kind or a meat dish that was made with fruit or brown sugar. I will never understand how making a dish SWEET is considered diet. Also, I do not like sweertened meat!
Published 11 months ago by Lois Ann Demangone

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, but don't purchase if you have the previous ones, February 10, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Taste of Home comes through again!, January 10, 2012
This is the third in the Comfort Food Diet cookbook series and Taste of Home definitely delivers once again. The first two cookbooks - Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook and Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook: New Family Classic s Collection: Lose Weight with 416 More Great Recipes! were winners in our home from the very first recipe tried. There hasn't been a recipe in any of the books that we have tried that has been anything less than great. Almost every single recipe has a color photo and all recipes have complete nutritional information. This isn't fancy five star restaurant fare that's going to send you to every grocery store in a 100 mile radius looking for ingredients. Instead, these are good old down home favorites made healthy, using real ingredients that we all are familiar with and that are easily found in almost any grocery store. These days, with so many recipes available online, it's rare that a cookbook earns its way into my collection, but these three books are at the head of the class. As an added bonus (as if you needed one), these books come with an attached card inside the book for a free year of Taste of Home Healthy Cooking magazine, which normally retails for $23.94 and delivers the same great recipes that Taste of Home is always known for but healthier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Actually pretty good!, March 19, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I will say I've only tried 3 recipes from this book, but most of the recipes included sound awesome. I can be picky when it comes to food, but I am willing to try most of these at least once. So far I have made the chili con carne, beef stew, and Mexican manicotti. My husband and I have enjoyed each one. I can't wait to try more over the coming weeks and months. I really like the recipes for 2. I don't usually like making large meals because they either go to waste or I end up eating too much the night I make them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious Comfort Foods, Terrific Organization, January 7, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am a cookbook lover, and I don't mean I love cookbooks as art or coffee table decorations. I read them almost cover-to-cover and then I seriously use them. For the way I cook and the foods my family loves, I wouldn't want to be without Taste of Home cookbooks. I have last year's version of this cookbook - Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook: New Family Classic s Collection: Lose Weight with 416 More Great Recipes!, love it, and was thrilled to have the opportunity to pick up this newer version and provide a review. Things I love about these cookbooks:

1. The recipes are not exotic or fanciful. These are comforting basics that, with a minimum of fuss, you can cook on a weeknight (and get your family to eat). If chicken breasts are on sale this week, I can pick some up and count on this cookbook to suggest many meal ideas using items already in my pantry or fridge. Maybe Light Chicken Cordon Bleu, Creole Chicken, Malibu Chicken Bundles, Spicy Chicken Spaghetti, etc.

2. The cookbook is rich in success stories and tips from people who have successfully lost weight. There are also 6 full weeks of sample menus, using many of the recipes included in the book.

3. An upgrade from last year's version is the inclusion of two new sections: 1) 8-Ingredient or Less Recipes , and 2) 20-Minutes or Less Prep Recipes. I disagree with the comment in another review about the same recipes being in both books. Example: Bacon Recipes in 2010 book: Garden Vegetable Wraps, Makeover Sunday Brunch Casserole, Salmon Chowder, Spiced Bacon Twists, Zippy Green Beans. In 2011 book: Bacon-Broccoli Quiche Cups, Baked Eggs with Cheddar and Bacon, Eggs Benedict. No overlap.

4. The index is great. Actually, there are 2: Index by Food Category and an Alphabetical Index. Very useful.

5. The book comes with a postcard for a free, one-year subscription to Healthy Cooking magazine. I sent it off and the first issue arrived quickly. Fun bonus!

6. My FAVORITE thing about these books is the organization. The recipes are divided into categories: Snacks, Breakfasts, Lunches, Dinners, Side Dishes, and Desserts. Within those categories, the sections are further divided according to calorie count. This is incredibly helpful and makes this cookbook a valuable diet partner. For instance, in Breakfasts you can choose from 100 calories or less, 101-200 calories, or 201-300 calories. If I know I'll be eating out for dinner, I can plan a lighter breakfast and/or lunch. Or, if I choose one of the heavier dinner recipes for the family, maybe I'll plan one from the lighter section for the next night.

These are terrific cookbooks for everyday use and for families wanting relatively common comfort foods. My book from last year is already well-worn, and I'm sure this one will be, too. Happy cooking!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice and easy!, March 8, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really like the Taste of Home cookbooks - they are definitely favorites of mine and this book is now added to my list of favorites. At first I worried at first that it would be a lot like the other books I have, but it definitely has new recipes and diet ideas. The diet plan is really straightforward and gives 6 weeks of sample menus with lots of ideas to personalize the menus. I even enjoyed the stories of people who successfully followed the plan and gave their unique tips. I've only had the chance to make a handful of recipes, which I found to be easy to make and without a lot of fuss or hard-to-find ingredients; I am a good cook and like to experiment, but lately have been wanting a diet plan that was simple enough to follow but varied enough to keep me interested - and I might have found that in this book. The book is arranged in various categories, such as by calorie count and meal (for example, 100 cal snacks, 101-200 cal breakfasts) and there is also a section for slow-cooker recipes, 8 ingredients or less recipes, and 20 minute meals. The index helps you find a recipe if you really have a hankering for something in particular since it might be a challenge to find something specific in these categories. The index lists by ingredient and by recipe name, so it's pretty easy to use, so that last week when I had a bunch of asparagus I could look easy under that ingredient and was delighted by seeing several recipes (I ended up with the basaltic asparagus - delicious and only 45 calories!). I also like that the recipes have a nutritional breakdown so that I can also calculate protein, fiber and other important stuff to help me stay on track with my nutritional goals. And a photo of each dishes makes it appetizing!

And as a bonus - the book also comes with a year's subscription to the Taste of Home Healthy Cooking magazine. I haven't sent in the postcard yet, but I am looking forward to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Food!, March 15, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This cookbook was fantastic! I'm always looking for ways to eat better yet still have the food be tasty, but those recipes are hard to find. However, Taste of Home hit the mark with this cookbook. I've already tried several recipes and have loved every single one of them. My kids already have the book marked up and flagged recipes for me to try. I was impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Taste of Home delivers again, more with fewer calories, March 11, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The first 70 pages of this book is all about dieting and a week-by-week plan using the recipes in the book. That really makes it easy to stick to it if you want to go hard core. If, like me, you are looking for more healthful options to work into my life, there are hundreds here. Taste of Home is real food made by real home cooks. You're not going to need arcane ingredients or strange kitchen equipment. And you're not going to be spending hours on end in the kitchen, either. Everything in this one is made from things you either have on your pantry shelves right now or could walk to in your grocery store blindfolded. Many of Taste of Home's regular recipes use a lot of prepared foods. These recipes uses some, too, but they are well chosen and the lower-fat options. I've found all of the recipes I've made from this book extremely easy and flavorful.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, February 26, 2014
Lois Ann Demangone (Blairsville, Pa USA) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars I've seen better, March 15, 2012
This is something similar to a large maga-book (as in magazine book). I could have done without the sections in the front with the success stories, but I guess they were ok - they are very similar to what you'll read in Prevention magazine every month. The recipes are fine, and for the most part low calorie, but my concern with them is that they still rely heavily on refined sugars and starches. In changing our diet at our house, we are centering our new food preferences on lean protein, vegetables, probiotics and limited starches and fruit. We have each lost about 25 lbs in the 3 months we've been on this new track. There are still some recipes in the Comfort Food Diet book that I use - it has some REALLY great soup recipes, for example. But for diet basics, another good one to check out is 17-Day Diet. Use it along with this book for very good results and a nice variety of food choice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good!, March 7, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have often resisted Taste of Home cookbooks because some of the "down home" recipes were a bit too plain for me. However, I'm always looking for good, lite recipes so I decided to give this cookbook a shot.

First, it's not just a cookbook but a diet book and planner. The first 70+ pages are dedicated to motivating you to diet and to provide a great framework for your new good habits. There's a discussion about the new USDA Food guidelines. There's a section on portion sizes. However, I found that their calorie recommendations did not take into account your current size, age, level of activity, etc. Stating that a 1,400 calorie diet is exactly what a woman needs (men should eat 1,500) is NOT a healthy approach. Instead, the recommendations should be more tailored. This first section ends with a six-week meal plan--a great guideline for those who need that structure.

What followed was surprisingly nice. The recipe portion of the book is the best part of it. There are some hits and misses. Some of the recipes are from the ToH editors, and others (like the magazine) are from individuals that have submitted their dishes. The quality of these recipes vary--some don't appeal to me, but many others do. If you like other ToH cookbooks, then this one will be a winner. I'm more of a "foodie" but I still found very tasty choices in this cookbook.

However, what I really like is the way they organized all these recipes. In each of the recipe sections (Snacks, Breakfasts, Lunches, Dinners, Side Dishes, Desserts + Bonus Sections Slow Cooker Favorites, 8 Ingredients or Less, 20-minute or Less Prep), the recipes are organized by calories! For instance, dinners are grouped into calorie groups (250 or less, 251 to 350, 351 to 450). Thus, when you're planning your meals, you can pick from a higher calorie breakfast and then balance it out with a lower calorie lunch and dinner. This makes it easy to traverse the recipes and find something appropriate for a meal, a day, or a whole diet plan. I haven't seen any diet book organized in this fashion--love it!

I'd say that this a great every day cookbook for those who are looking to lose. I also think that the recipes are very family oriented and will appeal to the whole family.