4.0 out of 5 stars Slow and sure
Published on January 4, 2011 by wogan

3.0 out of 5 stars Good pictures, ok food
I ordered this book because I liked the idea of pictures of the entries. This book is not for gourmets, though. It's good for using processed ingredients like canned vegetables, but I have found I generally need to add spices or ingredients to enhance the flavors. I still find "Fix it and Forget it" a better book.
Published on December 18, 2012 by Robert E. Reed

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow and sure, January 4, 2011
Taste of Home's 2010 slow cooker cookbook presents the basics that one needs to know to use a slow cooker; buying one, the dos and don'ts, converting recipes making handles for lifting food out of the cooker and even what to do in case of a power outage, much more than other slow cooker cookbooks. There are pictures for most of the recipes. Prep time and cooking time are given.
The recipes are not too different if you have several other slow cooker books; but this would be one of the standbys I would recommend for those who wish to cook with a slow cooker.
It would be nice if there would be some new and exciting recipes that would be included and even some more for those items, such as corned beef that lend themselves to great slow cooker use. There is only one for corned beef.
There are two indexes, one by major ingredient and one by name. The book includes recipes for: beef, pork, poultry, pasta, soup and chili, sides, snacks and beverages. Mine included more than 325 recipes.
Those who are looking for a slow cooker book with plenty of basics and pictures would be pleased with this cookbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars my favorite slow cooker cookbook so far!!!, January 28, 2011
I am a busy mom of 3 children ages 5 and under. I love this cookbook because the recipes are not too complicated and very reasonable to do. They don't require a lengthy list of ingredients which is a plus. Some recipes require all day cooking, but many only require 3-5 hours. This is great if you are like me and forget to get the meal ready in the morning...by lunch time, I can still get a great meal together in the slow cooker and have it ready for dinner on time! So far, my family and I have loved every recipe that I've prepared from this cookbook. My husband and kids are picky eaters, but the meals have been so flavorful that no one is complaining! I highly recommend this book for anyone who likes to make great food without cooking at the stove all day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple ideas that taste great, January 9, 2011
I would definitely recommend this cookbook! We've tried 4 of the recipes thus far and all have been very tasty and easy to make. Definitely recipes that we would make again and recommend to friends/family. If you haven't used your slow cooker in awhile or just need new ideas, this book is a great resource! I am an average cook and have been able to pull off these recipes with flying colors so far.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good pictures, ok food, December 18, 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars Good slow cooker cook book, but not my favorite, February 19, 2012
J. Tsao (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This is a good slow cooker book, but it is not one of the ones I regularly reach for.

The book starts with a brief slow cooker basics section (very brief!) and has chapters on the following types of dishes: beef, pork, poultry, pasta & more, soup & chili, sides, and snacks 7 & beverages. The one interesting (and kind of random) piece of information in the basics section, is a sidebar on what to do if the power goes out while you are slow cooking. I have over a dozen slow cooker cook books and this is the only one that mentions power outages!

I love that there are pictures on every page, however, for some reason the pictures feel very, "diner-ish" to me. There are a lot of pictures of sliced meat covered in gravy or sauce over egg noodles. Granted, those are the types of meals that slow cookers are good for, but it is odd that so many of the pictures have the same look to them.

The recipes are all submitted by individuals, which is the entire premise of "Taste of Home." As such, there is a lot of variety in the recipes and the types and complexity of the ingredients. Many are complex recipes with international flavors, and some use standard canned ingredients like cream of mushroom soup.

I've definitely liked some of the recipes in this book and while not all of them are my taste, with over 400 options, there is sure to be something for everyone.

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointing., September 18, 2013
The whole idea of slow cooking is slow cooking. Over half of these recipes are 4 hours or less. This was the working women's friend--throw the ingredients in a pot, go to work and dinner is done when you walk in the door. One recipe in particular calls for 25 minutes prep time, 8 hours of cooking and 30 minutes of "finishing" time--in this case the meal has to be really good, otherwise I'd just grab a 20 minute recipe. It defeats the purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great cookbook from Taste Of Home!, April 3, 2012
Traci L. Henn (Syracuse, IN USA) - See all my reviews
My family and I have enjoyed the recipes from this cookbook. It has a good variety of recipes that range from simple to more time consuming. Perfect for a family like ours who's schedule is always changing. It has taken a spot with my other "go to cookbooks".

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of recipes that sound good and look easy to make, September 28, 2011
I only had one book on recipes for slow cookers/crockpots and was looking for another one. I just got it the other day and I love it. There are so many recipes that I want to try. I hate cooking and the slow cooker makes it very easy for someone like me to cook a good meal and not have to spend so much time in the kitchen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, March 30, 2012
ssymms (Luling, TX) - See all my reviews
I recently started using a crock pot again given my schedule. I previously received the Taste of Home magazine and made a few recipes from it, and was happy, which is why I opted for this cookbook. I have made a roast, the brisket recipe (which I did not think I would like but my boys would), and the roasted chicken recipe. All have been fabulous. The brisket was especially good. There are of course, some recipes which I would not make because of my own tastes, but the ones I have tried have been excellent. The only reason I give this 4 stars instead of 5 is I wish there would have been more pork recipes for things like pork tenderloin, etc. All in all, this was worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you cant find a recipe..............., May 28, 2013
Dynawos "07 Dyna Low Rider" (Gladwin, MI, United States) - See all my reviews
If you cant find a recipe in this book.............. then you shouldn't be using a slow cooker. Loaded with interesting and simple recipes. Be warned, you may have to "adapt" some recipes as it might state the ingredients are for a 3qt, 4 qt, or 6 qt cooker.
Taste of Home magazine has always been a nice publication for home style cooking,,,,,,,,, with ingredients found locally or you already have on hand. Hate those recipes that call for some off the wall foreign spice that you might use twice in your lifetime.