Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: A Taste of Puerto Rico: Traditional and New Dishes from the Puerto Rican Community
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on May 15, 2001
This cookbook is a good introduction to Puerto Rican cuisine for those not familiar with it. Yvonne does a good job of describing our basic ingredients, sauces, vegetables (viandas), and her recipes are made simpler and easier to prepare than the "real thing." Unfortunately, it is not a true representation of authentic typical Puerto Rican recipes because she changes some recipes and adds things like raisins to too many other recipes. I would caution those considering buying this book to read the recipes carefully and remember that Yvonne's recipes are often only close to being authentic. I have tried several recipes in her book with mixed results. The biggest failure of sorts, was the recipe for Sancocho. Yvonne's recipe calls for 1 tablespoon of pepper, and it was way too much, masking the flavors of the stew. Again, I would recommend this book, but with some reservations.
on January 28, 2001
I bought this book only because the bookstore was out of the Nuyorican cookbook. I was hoping it would have the same recipes my mom uses, but alas it doesn't! Ortiz tries to make traditional puerto rican cooking into french gourmet cooking! She gets too fancy when there is no need to be! It almost makes you think she is ashamed of how the food is really cooked! And why does she have to add currants and golden raisins to everything! That is not how the traditional recipes are made! Her recipes are squarely based on the stupid cooking school she went to! Americans are not asking for the easier version they are asking for the REAL version. I accumulated better recipes than hers for FREE on the internet! The only way there is any use to her book is if you already know how to make some of the dishes and just incorporate your recipe with hers just to have something on paper! Believe me I had to change things around when I phoned family about her recipes! What a waste of money!
11 comment|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 27, 2008
I tried the recipe for the Coconut Guava Cookie. This recipe was a disaster. The ingredients were butter, coconut, sugar and vanilla. The cookies are to cook at 350. However, there is nothing to hold the cookie together and butter does exactly what butter does... it melts and there was a huge mess. This recipe should include flour. The ingredients make a great icing but they do not make a cookie.
on January 28, 2007
Wonderful book to own. I love Latin inspired recipes, and they are all in here. I also own "Daisy Cooks", and between these two books I can entertain my Puerto Rican friends here in South Florida as if I was Hispanic myself (which I am not). The ingredients are easy to get in ethnic and Supermarkets, so are the spices, herbs, the meats, the fish etc. Many storebought, premixed "Spanish" meals in bags or in the freezer section can be incorporated, so as to appear as made from scratch. Yummy either way!
on April 4, 2014
Although I cook Puerto Rican food all the time, some recipes are new to try. The reason for buying was more to be able to cook these with my granddaughter and to teach her about her heritage although she was born in the states. Cooking is a major part of our culture and what better way to be able to practice cooking with her and also teach her about growing up Puerto Rican. The book has great recipes that even a novice can do.
on May 18, 2016
Got it for a good friend that was very interested in learning about our Puertorrican traditional and new dishes! After doing some research I decided to purchase this book and I am glad I did because he told me how much he really love this book!:)
on September 8, 2015
I can't give this book a fair rating yet since I got the book recently and have only tried one recipe. I'll have to update later if necessary. However, as of right now, I'm pretty excited about this book. I've been living in the states for a number of years now, but I was born and raised in PR. Have lived there most of my life and of course now that I don't live there I've been looking up recipes to learn to make my favorites myself. What I like about this book so far is that it has most of my favorite staples and they seem simplified. It remains to be seen if this makes for dishes that seem to be lacking, but I've already tried the chicken asopao and it was delicious. I also think this book is great for beginners, those living in the states or those not familiar with PR cuisine as it has a section describing a lot of the main ingredients and provides substitutions for things not easily found in the US.
Two notes here addressing some issues brought up on some of the reviews here. First, some say too many recipes call for raisins. I've definitely seen raisins in a few dishes back home (like my mom's pasteles), but in my experience it is definitely not a common ingredient. I would just ignore the raisins. Secondly, people need to remember that just because your family or the people in the area of the island you grew up in did things one way doesn't mean the entire island does it the same way. There will be differences here and there. I usually just change things up a little too if I find an ingredient there that isn't typically in that dish the way I know it. So far, seems traditional enough for me. So take it with a grain of salt if someone says this is not a traditional book. However, if you want a hardcore traditional book, try Puerto Rican Cookery by Carmen Valldejuli - the spanish version (Cocina Criolla) is a staple in every PR mom's kitchen (really, most of us know about this book) so a lot of our home cooking has probably started and evolved from Valldejuli's book. Ortiz's book though, seems simpler and less overwhelming and is catered to those of us in the states. Great price too.
Hope this helps.
on February 7, 2014
the reason I brought this book was for my son who wants to learn how to cook Spanish food, he can cook American food but not Spanish, when I got the book I gave it to him he asked me for a marker to mark the recipes he wants to do, I said to him we will share it together. thank you amazon!!!!!
on January 7, 2013
I had been meaning to get this book to add to my collection of PR cookbooks for years. I finally got it 4 myself after posting it to my wish list w/no action. Glad I did. It arrived just in time for me to use several recipes from it for my traditional Christmas dishes. I made the most succulent pernil ever. My family just loved it!
on December 5, 2006
I have owned this book for several years. Everytime I use it my home takes on the aroma of my Grandmother's house. I highly recommend this book for your yourself and your friends.