5.0 out of 5 stars Great Food
Published on March 2, 2009 by D. Eberhardt

1.0 out of 5 stars Recall on this food
Through email my vet advised me about a product recall on this food. Before I got the email I fed my dog this food and she became sick. I have had my dog on this food for 6 months but the last bag made her sick right away. I was told the distributor (Diamond) will be sending refunds. Here is the website to check the for the specific bags that were recalled. [...]
Published 23 months ago by Haleybee

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Food, March 2, 2009
This review is from: Taste of the Wild Dry Dog Food, Hi Prairie Canine Formula with Roasted Bison & Venison, 30-Pound Bag (Misc.)
I have the lazy couch potato dog that the first reviewer described. An overweight black lab adult female who is quite lazy. Switching foods from Purina to TOTW Bison, and not measuring daily feedings, and feeding her as she pleases, she has more energy, is more playful, and has already lost 10lbs. and is five pounds away from her ideal weight of 75lbs. I highly recommend this food to all dog owners.

4.0 out of 5 stars solid food for a solid price, February 26, 2012
Unlike most pet owners in the world, I have fed my dogs high quality foods for years, with taste of the wild(TOTW) being one of them. Both the high prairie and the wetlands are foods I'd recommend for those on a budget wanting to feed quality foods to their dogs. The pacific stream, and sierra mountain aren't high enough in meat content for me to recommend.

what do I like about this food?
dogs are carnivores with an identical internal anatomy of the wolf. dogs do not need carbs, veggies or grains. Taste of the wild is much higher in meat than a lot of other foods, and has no grains.

firm stools! Out of all of the foods I've used, including, wellness core, canidae, acana, evo, totw always proves the best stools.

price....this is one of the more affordable foods of this caliber....and is even comparable in price to grocery level foods such as iams or pukeanuba..which are garbage

taste of the wild and other diamond manufactured foods are ethoxyquin free

cons-
I am a little weary of foods that come out of diamond since they have had a few recalls.
I also think that, while taste of the wild has a lot of meat content, it doesn't hold a candle to foods like acana, orijen evo

I'd recommend this food if you want to feed your pets a high quality diet that is better than 90percent of the foods out there but are on a budget and can't feed a raw diet or a diet such as orijen.

5.0 out of 5 stars best thing I've done for my dog, September 2, 2013
My three year old Doberman had terrible, dry, flaky skin. He suffered from hot spots and bacterial skin infections year round. He would scratch and lick until there were open wounds on his feet, hips, and legs. We went to two different vets, tried oral medication, topical medication, medicated shampoos and skin conditioners, changed collars, everything. We were feeding an expensive, vet-recommended dry dog food. Finally, after much research, we switched to high protein low grain Taste of the Wild. The difference in his skin is amazing. The hair has regrown over his sores, and the infections are gone. It took a few months to clear up, but definitely the best thing in the world for him. This food is absolutely worth the price. I'll never feed anything else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Food, April 7, 2010
First of all I would like to say that my puppy LOVES this food! I have a 4 month old Lhasa Apso and he licks his bowl well after he has finished eating. When I first got him the breeder had him on Purina Puppy Chow. The first thing I wanted to do was to switch him to a high quality, no grain diet and after alot of research and reviews,Taste of The Wild always came on top(dollar wise). After the switch I immediately noticed a difference in my puppy.His coat is starting to shine and is sooooo soft to the touch. He has so much energy now and he has less eye discharge and less ear odor(due to being allergic to the Puppychow).

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with TotW versus Blue Buffalo, November 19, 2013
Prior to trying TotW our dogs were eating a more expensive brand. We decided to try TotW due to our dogs perpetual flatulence which bordered on violating numerous UN Security Council resolutions. Since they've been switched over to TotW the gas emissions have all but stopped, they appear to like the taste based on their empty bowls at the end of the day, and the fact that we get 6 lbs. more per bag for $7 less compared to the previous brand is a great bonus! Overall, we are very happy with TotW.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best value for a top notch dog food., February 7, 2010
Kyle Bultman (Grand Rapids, MI USA) - See all my reviews
In my quest for the best dog food, I started out with the best that our local pet store had, Innova. I knew that I wanted a wheat free top of the line dog food, and Innova fit the bill. Our puppy's coat was perfectly soft and he took to the food instantly with no transition from the wet food he was eating at the shelter. When I finally found the time to do some real research into the best dog food I was surprised to find that Innova dog food is not one of the ten best dog foods on the market. Innova's top of the line food is their product line EVO, but was out of my price range. I then identified the top dog foods from independent websites that rate dog food, and went through each until I found one that I could afford, without making any sacrifice in quality, and that was Taste of the Wild. The variety of meats in this food is impressive, and what really put me over the top was that it contains fish meal so that our puppy will get the essential omega fatty acids that are absent from the vast majority of dog foods.

To give our puppy a gradual transition we have been putting half Innova and half Taste of the Wild in his bowl, and he has been eating out all of the Taste of the Wild first, and coming back later to finish the Innova. So we have been happy to know our puppy is getting one of the best dog foods on the market, we are saving $13 a month, and he likes it better. The only issue we have had with Taste of the Wild is kind of gross to write about, but he has been defecating more and hasn't seemed as hungry at meal times. This was a small concern until we realized it was because the food is so tasty that he has been eating out of the bag whenever he wants to. (which he never did with Innova)

Pros: Top notch food, cheaper than lower quality foods, puppy approved.
Cons: Tastes so good that you will really have to keep the bag out of reach.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for great food, May 5, 2011
I have always fed my Siberian Husky high-end, grain-free premium kibble. I'd prefer to feed raw, but at the moment it is a little too much work and costly. In the past I've fed Evo, Orijen, Wellness Core, and Blue Buffalo Wilderness. Rising prices caused me to look elsewhere.

My dog loves this food just as much as any of the others, and has transitioned seamlessly. No runny poops, his coat is as soft and shiny as ever, and he is one happy pup when mealtimes come around. It has been given top ratings by all of the dog food review/analysis sites that I've seen. And quite simply, this food is by far the most cost-efficient of the grain-free foods. One bag of this at <$50 lasts for over 7 weeks (your mileage may vary), whereas a $60+ bag of the "other guys'" food might get me 6 weeks. And if you're coming from lower-quality kibble, remember that your dog will actually require *less* food on the premium kibble, due to the lack of fillers which serve no purpose other than to not be digestible and take up space...

I see no reason to feed something other than Taste of the Wild, given its quality, and the fact that my dog has remained in excellent health since switching over.

Highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Recall on this food, May 6, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this food!, August 29, 2013
Ok I myself don't love it because I have yet to taste it, but both my dogs look forward to it like nobody's business. We have one girl that gets ear infections with any sort of grain inclusive dog food and as much as I love my dogs, spending $65 on 20lbs of food is just not in my budget. Taste of the Wild fits in perfectly! I have 2 dogs both around 40lbs and this bag last me almost a month. Its good quality so you can feed less of it, making it last longer and averaging out the price!

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING - Salmonella Confirmed, May 5, 2012
Been using this food for a while, purchasing all on Amazon. The last bag (April 10, 2012) has been confirmed as containing Salmonella and has made my dog very sick.

ARRAY(0x9b80c7ec)