5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious recipes and great food memories
Published on December 22, 2010 by E. Wood

2.0 out of 5 stars Worst editing EVER!
I have tried a few of these recipes and liked them. I also enjoyed the stories and memories. I am, however, only giving this book 2 stars as this has to be the worst editing I have ever encountered. The book is full of grammatical errors and spelling mistakes, which made for a very jilted and irritating read. Instead of being able to go with the flow of the book, I was...
Published 7 months ago by AntonieV

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious recipes and great food memories, December 22, 2010
This review is from: Tastes Like Home: My Caribbean Cookbook (Paperback)
Are you from the Caribbean? Have a significant other who is or just interested in good Caribbean food then pick up a copy of this book. The recipes are great, detailed and come with amazing photos, Roti and dhal puri which has eluded me can be easily made there are step by step photos showing you exactly what to do. I've been reading Cynthia Nelson's Blog [...]for a while now searching it for recipes of home that i could try and had yet found one to fail me. I went from being someone who everyone knew didn't cook (rather i hardly knew how) to someone people would ask "did you cook this i thought u didn't cook" I'd just smile to myself and mentally thank her.

I've had other copies of caribbean cookbooks, being guyanese I own [[ASIN:1405013133 What's Cooking in Guyana] one of these books that have everything you could possibly think of, it's dog eared and stained but cooking from it at times were a trial as there were only a few photos in the middle of the book and quite a few of the ingredients were in metric and in fact no longer being cooked with (vetsin). The recipes also were sometimes hit and miss for me. I longed for book with just the food we cooked everyday, and sometimes on special occasions. Nothing too exotic.

I guess you could say that this book for me is the answer to my proverbial prayer. No longer do i have to go skimming cynthia's blog for recipes and printing them out, so much. She has quite a few of them here. So if you want to know how to make good everyday caribbean food, that is simple, no fail and delicious, a great pine tart, cheese roll, or guyanese beef patties look no further.

The book is not just about the recipes. It also has Cynthia's caribbean food memories, great tales about shopping in the market, trying to be deemed ready by her mom on how to cook that elusive dish. Reading it just brought all this nostalgia, i started remember my younger days at home with my family, my own food memories. This book is not on my book shelf but on the coffee table for that same reason. I want my girlfriends and family to ask about it, to read the stories and maybe inspire them to get their own darn copy and stop trying to hijack mine.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the book I've been waiting for. Precision with rich pictures!, January 9, 2011
This review is from: Tastes Like Home: My Caribbean Cookbook (Paperback)
It is important to note that there are different areas of the Caribbean and the flavors of the Spanish, Dutch, and British Caribbean are often distinct even from one another. There are many recipes here that cross those divides- but I would say these are the flavors of the Afro- Caribbean and the West Indies specifically Guyana, Trinidad and Barbados. The author notes these foods were "flavored" by its migration heritage. Which is probably why the variety is so delightful. Of all the Caribbean food realms out there- I really enjoy these flavors the most. TASTE LIKE HOME is the most comprehensive and well written cookbook of these flavors.
I want to cook what I've tasted and thoroughly enjoyed- often recipes miss that mark. This book will NOT disappoint. Caribbean cooking is an art form. No two recipes for a popular dish seem identical -even in the same households and often -even from the same cooks. Many Caribbean cooks, when detailing recipes tell you some of this, a pinch of that- and give you four alternative ingredients. It's almost as if the recipes are a protected secret! There needs to be a solid foundation on which to build flavors. This book will give it to you.
It is beautifully written with inspiring, nostalgic stories and then there's the recipes. Details with such beautiful pictures. The stories and recipes speak to my imagination, memories-that seem to cross cultures and age, and my palate. Those elusive flavors come to light here. This is a must buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars It takes like homemade (in a good way)!, January 6, 2011
This review is from: Tastes Like Home: My Caribbean Cookbook (Paperback)
This book is excellent in providing instructions, but also explaining the nuanced techniques of these Caribbean favorites and the cultural significance of the dishes. Instructions are clear and concise with helpful tips and photos and recipes use cup measures, so one doesn't need a scale for measurements. I've been searching for a Caribbean cookbook that features "authentic" recipes but doesn't assume I'm an expert in the culture and this is it. I'd be proud to give it to Guyanese family members and American foodies alike and would say it's a huge step towards making Caribbean culture and food accessible to the "mainstream palette" and helping parents pass along their heritage.

Can't say enough about how well the book is done! This is going to be a classic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow recipes with beautiful pictures, June 16, 2011
This review is from: Tastes Like Home: My Caribbean Cookbook (Paperback)
I bought this book two weeks ago and I love it!! The recipes in this book are very clear and easy to follow - the food comes out exactly like how it is written in the book. There are several Guyanese recipes in this book, as well as other recipes from the Caribbean. Cynthia Nelson includes her own stories about food which are beautifully written and enjoyable to read. Also the pictures are beautiful and there are several, at least one for each recipe, so that you know what the end result should look like. I definitely recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've been waiting for this book!, March 15, 2011
This review is from: Tastes Like Home: My Caribbean Cookbook (Paperback)
Although not Caribbean myself, I've spent considerable amounts of time in the islands over the past ten years, and have always wanted a cookbook that would capture the flavor of my experiences. I have been frustrated over and again to find what appear to be good Caribbean cookbooks that ultimately only have the types of "touristy" foods offered in the hotels, or watered down British fare with small "island" touches of coconut thrown in here and there. This is NOT the case with "Tastes Like Home"-- finally, I have found a proper Caribbean cookbook!!

Nelson's photographs are spectacularly gorgeous, and the recipes hit the perfect balance of accuracy and clarity with the chatty and personable tone of a good friend in the kitchen with me. The first section of the book is an intriguing memoir, which draws the reader into the rhythms of life in the West Indies and provides touching background to the recipes to follow. The recipes are well-written and easy to understand. The dishes include the classic foods that are so delicious and hard to find directions for, like Baked Chicken, Coucou and Fish Cakes! Traditional foods such as Buljol and Bajan Bakes are interspersed with creative and new (to me) delicacies like Coconut Shortbread and Nutmeg Ice Cream. The recipes I have attempted have been simply delicious, and I look forward to many more cooking adventures with this fabulous volume!

Whether you have visited the Caribbean and hope to recreate the flavors you remember fondly, or plan to make your first trip a virtual one through the tastes of the region, this book is for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent base!, April 23, 2013
This review is from: Tastes Like Home: My Caribbean Cookbook (Paperback)
I'm a Guyanese woman living across the country from my mother and other relatives. In my family, as in many West Indian families (most, I imagine) learning to cook these traditional dishes is very haphazard. "You put a handful of this and a palmful of that and then plenty plenty of this other thing and etc., etc."

It's never been any surprise to me that Guyanese cookbooks are so few and far between. Nailing down these recipes with actual measurements is a daunting task. I've been euphoric since discovering Cynthia's blog and was elated when this book came out and I could finally purchase it! There's a diverse range of recipes from sweet to savory.

Reading this is also a pleasure. Every dish brings back my own memories of growing up and I also have a good chuckle when I see the differences between her recipes and the way my relatives prepare certain dishes. In my head, I can hear the echoes of one of my stubborn aunts repeating some mysterious family rule about adding or not adding certain ingredients to certain dishes.

I find this book to be an invaluable starting point for Caribbean (particularly Guyanese) cooking. And I only say "starting point" because, in my case, I'm chasing the flavors of my mother and grandmother. These recipes are like a living heritage. They evolve over generations, are tweaked from family to family, and can meld and mesh nicely with the influence of other culinary cultures.

If you're at all interested in the food of the Anglophone Caribbean, this book is a must-buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Marjorie M, December 27, 2012
This review is from: Tastes Like Home: My Caribbean Cookbook (Paperback)
This is by far one of the best cookbooks I have ever bought! The photos are amazing! Everything I've tried taste great! As a born Guyanese, because of this cookbook, I am better able to pass on my food culture to my children.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Guyanese Cookbook, May 13, 2012
This review is from: Tastes Like Home: My Caribbean Cookbook (Paperback)
All the foods I remember my parents making when I was young. The color photos are fabulous. The book is worth every single penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 11, 2014
LOVE the recipes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Caribbean recipes, March 12, 2014
This review is from: Tastes Like Home: My Caribbean Cookbook (Paperback)
I ordered this book based on the other reviews at the time. The first thing that's wonderful are all the beautiful color photos of all the dishes. Secondly, Ms. Nelson took the time to write a tip or story for each of the recipes. This is not the type of book you lend to anyone because you will not get it back. Since receiving it, I have read thru a number of recipes and I know I'm going to enjoy trying alot of them because the recipes are very well written. Thank you Ms. Nelson.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Tastes Like Home: My Caribbean Cookbook
Tastes Like Home: My Caribbean Cookbook by Cynthia Nelson (Paperback - December 1, 2010)
$34.95 $25.20