5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Have for Current or Aspiring Beer Geeks
Published on November 23, 2009 by Terry Sunday

3.0 out of 5 stars Some tasting beer and bunch of other stuff
I found the book to be a good read overall from the perspective of it being a book about beer in general. It covers just about every aspect of beer but not in great detail. The first half of the book gives the reader a decent background about what one should expect when tasting beer. But I was a bit disappointed with the last half of the book.

The last half was...
Published 23 months ago by J. Van

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Have for Current or Aspiring Beer Geeks, November 23, 2009
Terry Sunday (El Paso, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Before I review Randy Mosher's "Tasting Beer: An Insider's Guide to the World's Greatest Drink," let me give you a few calibration points so you can decide whether to take my opinions seriously or not. I definitely qualify as a serious beer geek. My travels around the U.S. nearly always involve visits to brewpubs. I'll drive hundreds of miles out of my way to have a pint of good craft brew, and I attend as many beer festivals each year as I possibly can. My favorite beers are Imperial stouts, barleywines and Imperial I.P.A.s, such as Alesmith's Speedway, Stone's Old Guardian and Moylan's Hopsickle (among many others). I enjoy the occasional Belgian (the funkier the better), and I consider Fat Tire to be an overly hyped "training-wheels beer" for people who don't know any better. I couldn't choke down a Bud, Coors or Miller if I were dying of thirst, and (yes, it's true) I tend to be a little snobbish toward people who are unwilling to expand their beer tastes beyond the Big Three. So, with that said, what did I think of "Tasting Beer?"

Well, there's a remarkable amount of information in its 247 pages, all of it presented in a very nicely integrated text-and-picture form. No matter what aspect of beer culture you're interested in, you'll find it covered to a useful level of detail in "Tasting Beer." Do you want to know more about the history of beer? It's in there, from 10,000 years BCE to the present, in a fascinating 22-page section. Do you want to improve your abilities to taste beer, and to accurately describe its qualities and complexity? It's in there--you'll learn how to distinguish 25 common flavors such as diacetyl, isoamyl acetate and fusels, and whether they're desirable or not. Are you interested in becoming more sophisticated in pairing beer with food? It's in there, both general guidelines and specific recommendations. Do you want to bone up on the bewildering variety of beer styles available? They're all in there, from the lightest adjunct lagers to Imperial stouts. Each style is described and characterized in great detail, including suggestions for which beers you should try that best represent the styles. There's a whole chapter on the modern American craft beer movement and its new styles such as wet-hopped ales, ultra-strong beers and other experimental types. I found the charts showing beer color, strength, etc., as a function of style to be especially interesting and useful, although all of the graphics and figures are exceptionally well done.

"Tasting Beer" is the best single volume of beer lore that I've read in many years. It is so good that a few of my other older beer books became redundant and have now found their way into the public library donation box. There should still be a place in the beer lover's inventory for such books as Roger Protz's "The Ale Trail" and Garrett Oliver's "The Brewmaster's Table: Discovering the Pleasures of Real Beer with Real Food." But if you own only one beer book, "Tasting Beer: An Insider's Guide to the World's Greatest Drink," should be it. Cheers!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Introduction to the World of Beer, April 2, 2009
William Howell Jr. (Sterling, Alaska USA) - See all my reviews
Randy Mosher has been well-known in serious beer and homebrewing circles for years. His earlier book, Radical Brewing, is a classic for anyone interested in brewing and a wondrous font of cool recipes for beers to brew at home. Tasting Beer is a much more approachable work, aimed more at the general audience of beer drinkers out there than at us "beer geeks". It provides a broad overview of styles, tips on pairing beer with food, proper glassware and serving techniques, historical perspectives, and even the basics of sensory evaluation of beer. Profusely illustrated, including many helpful charts and diagrams comparing various styles of beer, this really is an exceptional work. It would make a perfect gift for anyone who is at all interested in any aspect of modern craft brewing. I like to think I'm fairly well-read when it comes to beer, but I was still fascinated and picked up several new and interesting beer facts.

If you're at all interested in beer, don't miss this great new book!

5.0 out of 5 stars "Tasting Beer" is an industry must-read, March 18, 2009
Mosher's latest dissertation upon beer is a must-have, not just for beer lovers, but for everyone in the business of "taste". This book gives you the vocabulary and the sensory methodology to objectively evaluate beer- but the tasting disciplines can also be applied to other beverages and foods. Detailed beer style descriptions abound and the work of organizing a tasting, pairing, or epicurean expedition is already done for you. A fun and interesting read. I highly recommend "Tasting Beer" by Randy Mosher.

5.0 out of 5 stars Required reading for anyone interested in beer!, February 25, 2009
Randy Mosher is one of the most talented and knowledgeable beer writers. His first book, Radical Brewing, should be on the bookshelf of every homebrewer, and "Tasting Beer" brings it to beer drinkers in general.

If you're at all interested in really understanding beer, brewing, drinking, and eating with beer, this is the perfect start.

This should be a textbook for any restaurant even thinking of adding craft beer to their menu.

Highly recommended!

Michael Shannon
BJCP Certified Beer Judge

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Recomendable Overview of Beer's Diversity and History, June 17, 2009
Daniel Lobo (Washington, DC More often than not.) - See all my reviews
Tasting Beer is a good all around introduction to the history, diversity, and enriching ways to explore beer.
While it might be useful to share with beer novices and help break quite a few stereotypes and misunderstanding, it is also a nice volume for beer aficionados with plenty of advice and insightful background.

If anything the book might suffer from some top-down style narrative. Mosher tries hard to be amicable and casual, and more often than not does it well, but his occasional cheekiness sometimes can have a patronizing undertone. And while certainly this is a book that emcompasses a broad Western global perspective of beer, he slips a few times adressing exclusively a US readership, which for obvious reasons I find limiting and unnecessary.

And yet, these flaws remain in the background of what is a quite recommendable book. While I am just a small aficionado, he supported and expanded those things that I felt comfortable in knowing already, and excited the senses to explore quite a few that I did not know about, or did not know at that level of detail.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some tasting beer and bunch of other stuff, September 3, 2012
J. Van "spongemaster99" (Orlando, FL United States) - See all my reviews

The last half was mostly a catalog of beer styles and suggested beers to try. That's great but Mosher didn't describe what one might expect to taste when tasting those specific beers. After all, this is a book about tasting beer right?

So what are the expert opinions of Orval, Adventinus, or Okicum Palone? You will not find it in this book. Remember those judges sheets in chapter 5? Why aren't there any filled-out ones for the suggested beers? I would have much liked to have a detailed, in-depth expert analysis of key beers that are good for learning the nuances of tasting beer rather than a catalog of a bunch of beer suggestions.

A better title for the book would have been "About Beer".

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, August 28, 2009
This book is a great book for any beer lover whether you are going to be a beer judge or not. Mosher goes through history, tips, and loads of information on beer and tasting. The book begins with a very brief history of beer and moves pretty quickly into the aspects of tasting. Mosher uses the most up to date information (apparently we can taste 6 types of flavor rather than the main 4 that we were all taught in elementary school - and the old locations on the tongue were incorrect) to educate and teach the reader as well as to enhance the experience of tasting in general. The final section of the book looks through the different styles and what to look for in each one. Overall a great resource for any beer lover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warning: Graphs not visible in Kindle Edition, August 24, 2010
This is an awesome book for beer drinkers and beer brewers alike. Randy Mosher really goes into a lot of detail on beer in his book. I am about halfway through and still learning a lot (as a beer brewer).

Fair warning - if you get the Kindle edition, you can't see the graphs with the Kindle 1 or the Kindle 2. (You may be able to with the DX, I don't own one so I am not sure). I would still get the book for the Kindle for the content (so I did not mark it down) but if the graphs are important, you may want to stick with the print edition.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tour through beer tasting and the palate, April 13, 2010
What I love about this book is the neuroscience stuff -- how the palate experiences beer. It's technical while still being accessible, with basic maps of the olfactory system, gustatory system, etc.

It's also a great overview of how beer is made, beer styles, etc.

Along with The Beer Trials The Beer Trials (ratings guide -- just released), the world of beer writing has just gotten a lot deeper. Beer is really happening.

Randy Mosher is a true beer renaissance man. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rambling, repetitive, still some value, December 5, 2012
This review is from: Tasting Beer: An Insider's Guide to the World's Greatest Drink (Kindle Edition)
This book could be interesting but needs some serious editing. The information given is valuable but too detailed in some places and not enough in others. Some of the same information (on porters for instance) are repeated a number of times in different sections. I will finish the book, I use it to fall asleep at night. Surely there is a better book on beer.

Rate and Discover Movies